1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the story behind the Brooks / Ariza fallout?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RAID, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pentajigga

pentajigga Member

The market doesn't think Morey overpaid. The hornets just traded Collison and Posey for him. I know Posey is a negative (salary dump) in that deal, but that indicates that NO thinks Ariza is a good contract.

Morey did a great job. He bought an attractive asset. Tried it out, then traded it for another 2 assets when he had a better deal. Now from the mid-level exception in 2009 (what they used to get Ariza), the Rox have a trade-exception equal to the mid-level and a young promising player. Win.

The one thing that amazes me is that the Rox must have been offered Collison and Posey, but they wanted to turn it into a multi-team deal. In essence, the Rox decided that they'd rather have Lee and the trade exception then Collison and Posey.

Me thinks that trade exception is gonna make us all happy.

2 people like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Always follow the $$$$$$....Posey's contract would hit our books keeping the team deep into lux tax, and we would not have room to play him either.....

Whereas Lee is cheap, fills a need and eliminates the logjam at the SF spot.

Good trade is good.

DD

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I really don't understand how Ariza could possibly have a huge ego after being the 7th or 8th man in the rotation on the Lakers...

I figured he would be used to it.

4. DaDakota

He came here to expand his game and become a star, unfortunatly he found out that he is still a role player, but was still putting on the airs of a star persona.

It didn't fit, and the team realized it, and jettisoned him and his contract the first chance they got.

If the Rockets truly believed in Trevor, they would NOT HAVE TRADED HIM TO A DIVISION RIVAL !!!!

DD

5. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i brought this problem yesterday afternoon on ESPN rox board. hahaha, i need to take some credits. :grin:

6. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

ariza believed he can be kobe. i have no doubt that rox front office and coach team believed too. by the time they signed him, they thought it was a steal. they forced him to play the kobe role. it failed badly.

if anyone is interested, go back to check my posts on signing ariza either here or ESPN board. i was the one against his signing. i had a few reasons. he is what he is, a role player. it's easy to get a solid role player with MLE. no rush to sign him. it tied up our hands due to the cap issue.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Can you shed some light on the supposed major altercation recently between Ariza and another Rocket? Was that also Brooks?

8. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

DD, relax bro. We understand your point and your hatred for TA.

Although Brooks is the best player on our team at the moment, don't think for a moment that we wouldn't trade him if a similar opportunity came about for him. He is young, clutch, and has a ton of potential- but guess what? He also has some of the same 'attitude issues' that you all are speaking of. He is also know to roll his eyes, walk away from people, and show little emotion at times.

Nonetheless, i still love Brooks and want him on the team... for now. He is good, but not good enough to want to trade assets away just to get rid of them. Like several people stated earlier, this is not just because of Ariza's supposed attitude issues. This has to do with Lee's potential, his tiny contract, the logjam at SF, and the 6.3m TE we were able to get.

Ariza brought something very different to this team, that frankly no other player on the Rockets brings.

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

You're right, Ariza may have issues understanding who he is on the court and he is certainly not Kobe. Still, his intentions have been warped here.

I'm definitely not trying to be some internetz insider guy. I just know how Ariza felt about this situation at one time and it wasn't about getting himself more touches. He honestly felt the team's PG wasn't making the right plays at the right time. I really don't think he was wrong on that.

10. DaDakota

Brooks does not yell at his teamates.....and takes criticism well.

He could very well be traded, for someone like CP3.

Yeah, a bad attitude, piss poor dribbling, terrible jump shot, and a lack of understanding his role.

:grin:

DD

1 person likes this.
  11. DaDakota

And there it is....you don't THINK he was wrong.....lol.

Come on admit it, you are worried that Brooks won't pass Yao the ball...own up....be honest.

;)

DD

12. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

no, i don't believe. i've never seen ab pointed fingers in front of someone's face. ab is not a leader and he hasn't shown any leadship yet at least. he is kind of players who don't care about how other players play. if you ask him to carry a team, he is not afraid. otherwise, he jsut follow whatever comes to him.

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

:confused:

14. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

I figured Brooks was the rumored player that was having trouble with Ariza after Kyle Lowry tweeted

"it's a biz but when u lose a great friend it hits u a lil"

& Brooks tweeted this during all of the Ariza trade talk.

"Just got back from my one year anniversary and boy are my arms tired."

1 person likes this.
  15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Wasn't there something about Brooks driving all the way to the basket in a late game situation, got some contact, but not the foul call and then Ariza (and also, Adelman, I think) talking about how a pull-up J might have been the better choice because refs tend to swallow the whistle in such situations?

16. Asian Sensation

" Im a champion and a Houston Rocket err Hornet ".

Glad to see he got traded. I still think its ****ed up what he did in that Toronto game from last year. Taking a swipe at DeRozan. Can't have players like that on your team.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

And I noticed we played a lot better when he was out of the lineup. Haha.

18. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Artest was never a locker room problem. He may have done some weird stuff, like showing up late to a bus with the owner onboard in his boxers.

I guess it's cool to assume and call him a dickhole though. :rolleyes:

19. Mr. Space City

always knew there was a rift between trevor and aaron.

people on this site including me brought it up during the season.

20. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.