1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your expectation for the Houston Rockets in 2010-11

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abc2007, Aug 5, 2010.

?

What is your expectation for the Houston Rockets in the 2010-11 season?

1. NBA finals.

87 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. WC finals.

112 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Passing the 1st round in playoffs.

129 vote(s)
    36.0%
  4. Making the playoffs, but losing in the 1st round.

23 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. A lottery team again.

7 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This team has been playing at the same pace, with te exception of the recent drop on defense, for the past 2 seasons. In that playoff run against the Lakers, if none of our centers would have gotten hurt, we would have been champs that year. Last season, again without any size in the paint, the team went 42-40 in a very tough western conference. Now, with the same team and more size in the paint.......

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

A little over the top, but i'll take it!!! ;)

3. lionaire

lionaire Member

I can definitely see us getting past the first round IF and ONLY IF entire team stays healthy.

4. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

This could be a very, very good team. I'm excited to see Martin playing with Yao. I look forward to seeing Ariza playing a secondary offensive role. I expect good things from Chase in his second season. The defense will certainly be better, and we will have a bevy of choices on offense. Our coaching staff is awesome, and we have one of the top scouting departments in the league. The synergy between Morey's Mad Math bunch, and Adleman's staff will help eke out a few extra wins this year.

I'm expecting this team to win a bunch of games and then who knows? I'm pretty confident barring major injuries to Yao, Lowry, or Scola, this team will win at least 50 and challenge for a high seed. A Southwest Division title, home court, and even the #2 seed all seem like tough but realistic goals. I like this team a lot more than the squad two years ago that came within one loss in Dallas away from the #2 seed and a favorable path to the WCF (not to mention giving the Lakers a tough 7 game series).

Then there's also the unknown aspect. Daryl Morey and his staff are always looking at every team out there in an attempt to improve the roster. Could Chris Paul or Carmelo Anthony become available? If so, I like our chances to land them with our front office and chestful of trade assets. Even it's not a superstar, I wouldn't be surprised to see Morey uncover a diamond in the rough like he did with Lowry.

If the team stays healthy and hits the trade jackpot, they could certainly vault into the small list of bona fide contenders.

But my minimum expectations are a solid run through the regular season and a gritty squad that will battle hard in the playoffs. I won't get caught up in picking how far they advance. It all depends on the bracket and matchups. The West is stacked this year and probably the deepest its ever been. I like the Rockets matching up against a lot of teams, but who knows who we'll face. Some premium teams might wind up #7 or #8. Give us the right path, and this team could go to the WCF and even all the way. But I'm also very aware that only 4 clubs will advance to the second round, and some excellent teams will be watching the semi finals from home.

5. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I can see us advancing through the 1st round, maybe a WC finals, but I don't we can reach the NBA finals this year.

6. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

What? He had Karl Malone type dominance against us. He was the Kryptonite against Yao. If Deke played more we would have beaten the Jazz, but JVG didn't have a good pulse on the situation.

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

All depends on some players big left foot or whatever injury comes out of the wood work.

8. PeppermintCandy

If this team doesn't struggle with injuries again, it's too talented to not make it to at least the second round. Anything less would be a disappointment.

9. Arashi

Arashi Member

IMO we're not NBA finals or even WCF material yet. Even though Yao is coming back I have my doubts whether he'll be 100% fit and dominant like he used to be. Assuming that he will be at least 80% of the player he was, and no further injuries, we should be able to make the second round (hopefully), but that also depends on who we play...

But who knows, a little luck + Morey we could stumble into the conference finals...

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'll need to see Yao play first. If he's a star on both ends of the court we might be pretty good.

If the defense isn't good enough with Yao out there I expect a major trade which would make it hard to predict a win total at this point.

11. bobbysikora

bobbysikora Member

I'll be very happy with Houston if we can get to the 2nd round

"I'm a codfish"- Captain Hook

12. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Before trade-deadline:
    After trade-deadline:
    Morey will get something done IMO..

13. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Expectations for this season...

Just wondering what people's expectations are going into this season.

I think the playoffs are a given. If we miss the playoffs again, I suspect Adelmans out.

At minimum, I'm hoping for the second round. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake, and as long as we are competitive and playing good basketball throughout the playoffs, I'm satisfied.

The worst case scenario is obviously if we underachieve, in which case a lot of difficult questions have to be answered. How much longer is Yao going to play? is it worth bringing in a new coaching staff? which players do we make a move for and which do we keep? Some of those questions will apply regardless, but a good season will make them much easier to respond to.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

If Yao and the rest of the team is healthy then I can see 54 wins.

16. SamuelSoo

SamuelSoo Member

Second round as you think!
    Not how bad the team rocket, but how energetic laker\thunder is

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A healthy Yao Ming and the rest of the team = 57 wins....NBA finals appearance and possible NBA championship.

DD

18. Prince

Prince Member

with a healthy first 5, Finals.

19. SamuelSoo

SamuelSoo Member

That's right!
    But do you think Yao can play 82 games? It never happens, friend!

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

75 ish is enough...just play him smart minutes....and monitor his feet closely.

DD