1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Y! Sports]Hou has gotten inquires for F Jeffries

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The_Yoyo, Aug 5, 2010.

1. pentajigga

pentajigga Member

I follow both the rox and knicks (as i live in brooklyn). none of these trades is going to happen.

Curry is a walking contract -- the knicks do not plan on him playing real minutes this year, as he's been a no show for 2 years. they would LOVE to get rid of him, but are content to let him expire at the end of the year.

Randolph is not getting traded before the season starts. Doesn't make any sense. Knicks are high on him, he fits with their long-term plans.

Rox will not take back curry for JJ. both expirings, JJ is for less. JJ is a great 10th man, Curry is a cancer. For the rox to do this trade they will need to take back much greater assets to off-set AND will still need a plan to get under the luxury tax by the trade deadline. The knicks have no one to offer that will overcome both of these.

Rox will not trade shane before the trade deadline for a non-star unless they get 100% assurance of going under the Lux Tax (like trading him to a team with cap space for a #1 pick). Otherwise they'll wait to see how competitive they are.

I'd love Randolph or Gallinari, but it ain't happening.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

According to hoopshype, their payroll is only at 44 million right now. Did I miss a free agent signing?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

They haven't yet filled in the salaries for Felton or Mosgov. Also, the Knicks just signed Roger Mason to a $1.4M deal. Those guys are probably the difference.

4. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

They don't have Mozgov ($3.6M) or Felton's ($7M) salaries on there to account for

5. rockbox

Gotcha, there goes my theory.

6. rockbox

7 million for Felton? God the Knicks are stupid.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Lowry got 5.4m and felton is the better player. 7m is right for felton and he will put up gaudy numbers in the kncks uptempo vs brown slow structered gameplan. He will be 20oog and 9 asst this yr.

8. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

9. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

hope wizard Morey will make a big time move this August.. :grin:

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe, maybe not.

Chauncey Billups, the last Larry Brown star PG, moved from the slowest paced team in the league (2007/08 Pistons) to the 6th fastest paced team (08/09 Nuggets) and put up essentially the same box-score number.

Chris Duhon also really didn't see that much of a difference in his stats after going to NY aside from what results from a jump in minutes. Felton was already getting plenty of minutes in Charlotte.

By the way, the Knicks averaged 94 possessions per 48 min game, the Bobcats averaged 90.6 possessions. So the 3.4 possession per 48 min difference translates to about 2.55 possessions during Felton's time on the court assuming he plays 36 mpg. That's 2.55 possessionf for the team, not Felton himself.

Unless you think somehow Felton is going to have the right to dominate the ball Nash-style, I can't see how he would experience in a major jump in stats.

11. thekad

thekad Member

20 points and 9 assists for Raymond Felton ahahahaha...

And Lowry is better (and cheaper).

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Sorry. I love Battier for his leadership but I think his days on the court are over even at his natural SF position. Will he see time on the court? Yes because of respect and the leadership but his skills are dropping as fast as McGrady's. In fact, I think his PER drops to a single digit next year. You pay a price when you get by by shifting people out of position. You can move PFs over to C too but that too is less than ideal. Can Martin play SF? Sure he can but I don't want to see that every game. I'd rather see my PGs play PG, SGs play SG, etc. You can sometimes mix SG and SF as "wing" players but I don't think we have any anymore who makes that transition as smoothly as I'd like to see.

13. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

Exactly. Martin and Wafer are the only true SGs that have gotten significant minutes at the 2 since Adleman got here. It's hard to say that backup SG is a hole, when we've had success without one for years.

And RA plays Brooks at SG on purpose, not out of necessity.

We have the flexiblity to to trade Battier/Ariza/Martin/Budinger and get a SF in return, but it's not necessary. Realy we could trade Battier/Ariza/Budinger without getting a SG or SF in return and we'd still be ok.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/battish01.html

15. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

I think what is clear about what separates Morey from entrenched old-boys club GMs is the ability to think intertemporally (i.e. across multiple years) and laterally. Walsh's capacity to strategize intertemporally amounted to looking at when hyped up players would hit the market and clearing the books for them. Morey's strategy is akin to a value investor like Warren Buffett who takes undervalued and underutilized assets to create value, by developing players like Landry, Hill, and Brooks. Once they get some value, he parlays their value into other assets with greater value (e.g. Martin) or potential. He trades up by exploiting strategic weaknesses like, for example, Walsh's mandate to win soon, which made him unable to be patient in develop talent (e.g. Hill) and throw all his eggs into a risky free agent basket with too many teams chasing too few players, while forgoing the future ability to develop value (e.g. the picks in 2011 and 2012 that Morey stole).

1 person likes this.
  16. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Exactly and those picks could be huge if NY stinks.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

CH, that is the gaffe, but i'm wondering what the knicks think about patterson? Patterson doesnt have the raw potential of randolph,but he can be a solid pro and a good player. I think it would be hard to pry randolph away, but who knows? They just re-hired isiah.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Since Patterson is signed, can he still be traded now?

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes. Draft picks can be traded at any time EXCEPT for 30 days after signing.

That said, I honestly don't know if Morey would be willing to trade Patterson for Randolph. (Obviously, the Rockets would be giving up more in that trade.)

Patterson was #6 on Morey's draft board. He was genuinely excited to get him and tried at least three times to trade up to draft Patterson. Also, the Rockets get four full seasons of Patterson on a dirt cheap rookie contract. By comparison, Randolph only has two years left on his deal before he wants to get paid.

I also am not quite as sold on Randolph as a solid, CONSISTENT NBA player. I think he's a whiny little baby who may disrupt team chemistry. He seems more interested in "getting his" than in the team winning. But I could be wrong. He's definitely got amazing raw talent.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thanks. Personally i wouldn't look to trade Patman. He reminds me of an Artest/Landry type of player and i think he will play alot this season. I don't think they would have to include Patterson in the trade. They could just send Jeffries and do the ole Battier buyout for Curry and Randolph. Nothing else. Maybe that would entice them.
    Also, i am sure you have mentioned this before, but what benefit would a team get for buying out Battier, other than what we give them?