1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A-Rod got his 600th

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by jman255, Aug 4, 2010.

1. sew

sew Member

damnit, was hopin he wouldnt get it against my Jays.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

So?

It's not like he's Ruth, Mays, or Aaron.

Edit: Or Junior.

#22 rimrocker, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  3. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Great talent.

I think and hope he finishes with over 800 homeruns.

4. DontTradeOswalt

Go A-Rod!!!, don't care if he took steroids because honestly I would've taken them too. If you'll wanna pick on someone because steroids made them great, go look at someone like David Ortiz. Rodriguez was a former #1 pick, he always had talent, people just take away this accomplishment because he's a douche

1 person likes this.
  5. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Agreed. +1

6. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Nice, now repeat.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm taking it away because he cheated. He may also be a douche because he cheated but that is neither here nor there.

Definitionally he got to the 600 hr club unfairly. Even if I take him at face value about his steroid use, I really have to discount anything he's done since he started, as there's no telling how his career would have turned out otherwise.

Whether or not I would have also done it is also besides the point. I can definitely see myself being tempted to do so (though like to think I would have resisted) but would have to then also accept the fact that I would be known as a cheater forever, and should have asteriks next to all my stats. I'd be super rich though. And would have had sex with an old Madonna....oh and Kate Hudson, too.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If he hits another 600 without roids, then I'll be impressed.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

for those so anti his 600...how many HRs do you think he would have without the juicing stint?

The guy, assuming he played an entire season, has been dead consistent at around 40 per year.

As mentioned before, he only had a couple of spikes, which do coincide with his admitted steroid years

10. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

A-Rod is still a talented player.

With or without steroids, he is still one of the top hitters ever to play the game.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

You can only judge a player relative to his era, and A-Rod played in what's know as the steroid era. You can't hold it against Ruth that he played before integration or Mays/Aaron because he played before bullpen specialization and when pitching was watered down due to expansion.

I'm not gonna knock A-Rod when I don't know how long he used and when it seems that many, and perhaps most of his contemporaries were doing the same thing as him.

12. rocketsqtc

rocketsqtc Member

This ^^^^

13. jman255

jman255 Member

I'm glad there are some fans out there! People just hatin. At least he admitted it and didn't make his career a lie like most have chosen to do.

14. lalala902102001

He adimitted to cheating...

All these HR records from the steroid era will forever have a "*" next to them.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I don't hate him. I just can't put him in the same class as Ruth, Mays, Aaron and Jr.

As far as I'm concerned, Aaron's still the Home Run King and Ruth is still the best baseball player ever.

16. junglerules

junglerules Member

First of all, you assume he's told the entire truth. Secondly, I'm not going to applaud him just because he allegedly came clean about his cheating. He still cheated. F--k him, and all of the cheaters.

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

This might actually make it worse in my book. I'd have liked to see what he could have done cleanly. If he hit 550 home runs as a clean player, with having an HOF, all time career, I'd appreciate it a lot more.

Bonds is the same way. He was already headed to the HOF as a studly player before he started cheating. The fact that as fans, WE got cheated out of seeing great players go after records and stats in a legit manner is what bugs me most.

I think that is why Griffey Jr. is the one of this last generation that to me, is one of the best all time. He set milestones while never being connected to steroids. For all intents and purposes, unless something comes out later, he is clean. We got cheated a little bit due to injuries he sustained, but he certainly had the sweetest swing I ever saw, and its sweeter because it wasn't tainted by drugs.

I went to an Astros game one of the last years he played with the Reds. He hit a home run. It occured to me then that I just got to saw a home run by the greatest player of his generation in person and it was awesome.

1 person likes this.
  18. DontTradeOswalt

By the way, voters for the HOF are already saying they won't vote for A-Rod. When are voters gonna stop acting like the guys that put up the numbers are the only ones to take roids? Canseco already said a HOF was juiced. Yes its Canseco, but everyone laughed at him when he said A-Rod was on steroids, and everyone laughed when he said Manny Ramirez was on steroids, dudes been money snitching the roid users. Get over it baseball, and the HOFs need to get over it too. Let the greatest players from this "steroid era" in. You can't ignore it and act like all those numbers didn't happen

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i can't stand A-Rod...even though he wears 13.

but what he's done from an infield spot is pretty remarkable...especially considering most of his career was at a middle infield spot.

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

There are a few cheaters already in the HOF.