1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SB Nation] Basic Stats Primer: Kevin Martin vs. Tracy McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BDswangHTX, Aug 3, 2010.

1. kevtse

kevtse Member

I know he is a efficient player but I am not sure if he is clutch, does he choke in clutch time?

2. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I guess this is a good read for those of you who are unfamiliar with Martin's game.

Tracy was a beast in his prime though.

3. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Bull s. T-mac was the best wingman in the NBA, when he came to Houston Rockets

4. bbjai

bbjai Member

T-mac drew double teams even when injured, a fact I never quite worked out why he drew so much attention even when his clearly ineffective. I can't say the same for K Mart

5. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Kevin Martin has an amazing scoring ability, but rockets fans have already overrated him.

He's not even in top 5 SG in the NBA (Kobe, Manu, Roy, Ellis in wc and d-wade, joe-joe, ray allen, and maybe even Vince is better, than Kevin right now) but you're trying to compare him with McGrady - one of the greatest offensive talents in the history of the game? Come on. It's ridiculous.

He was in a playoffs just once (as a role player, ok, maybe poor man sixth man) and you still trying to do that?

6. nebula955

nebula955 Member

Why do people still talk about 13 in 35 as if it proves that Tmac's a great scorer? He chucked 3s and luckily made all of them, although admittedly 2 of them were incredibly difficult (the bowen and duncan one). His career 3p percentage is pathetic and he chucked a lot during his career. Shooting in 4 3 pointers in a row doesn't make you a good offensive player...any shooter can if lucky enough.

And it's more ridiculous to say Kevin Martin isn't a top SG...comparing him to old people like Carter, Allen, Ginobili is kind of ambiguous...there's no way you can prove those people are better.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Majority listed him as 6 to 10. Where's the overrating.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I have Martin at 9 or 10 and McGrady at 20-25.

It seems that the NBA GMS don't even want T-Mac at all, unless it's off the bench.

If NBA GMs have 30 other SG as projected starters, then NBA GMs rank T-mac as 31st or later.

9. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

But his idol was better than all 3 of those guys :confused:

And if he was on a playoff team it was because he carried many of those teams to the playoffs.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It would have helped if your limping "T-Mac" could have dominated last season. And I'm sure the Knicks would have loved this "T-Mac" you speak so highly of.

11. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

I was going to say the same. You need to deduct the last few years from the stats when you do these type of comparsion. Since we all know TMac went downhill from maybe 2008-2009 on.

At his prime, TMac was one level above Martin, but that guy has long left the building...

12. rv2843

rv2843 Member

Since when has TMac shot at 44% in Rockets uniform?

05-06 0.406
    06-07 0.431
    07-08 0.419
    08-09 0.388
    09-10 0.368

He probably get high percentage shoots at Orlando where no one defended him since Orlando was losing anyway.

13. WNBA

WNBA Member

Because TMAC has the ball all the time.
    If he can hold the ball for even longer time, he can see 5 defenders all on him.

14. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Because it's all they have left to hold too, that and their memories. No titles, no playoff success, and apparently his teams were never good enough, except when he was injured. Apparently they don't care about the stats, which are a reflection of what happens on the court and are a pretty reliable source of a players abilities.

As far a KM, some are trying to compare him to old vets that have passed their peaks when KM hasn't reached his yet. I'll take KM over Tracy any day, then or now. KM is a better teammate and shoots more effectively.

Please show me some hard facts that Tracy was/is better than KM, for you that say he was better than Kobe, again I would like to see some hard facts. 13 in 35 doesn't count and scoring titles don't count, only hard numbers and stats.

15. amazinghappens

they didn't talk about playmaking ability which is mcgrady's number one seller, and his ball handling ability. In his prime, tmac martin no comparison.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

McGrady's career PER: 22.8
    Martin's career-high PER: 21.0 (2007-08)

17. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Neither does/did Tracy.

Of course, I'm assuming the "X factor" means leading your team passed the first round.

18. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

Tmac was a ball hog whereas most of Kmart's points come from
    spot up shooting and moving like a ghost without the ball, which goes much better for an inside-out offense with Yao cuz Yao needs about 8 to a dozen seconds a possession to put on post moves, but many times Mac would just dribble out the clock n jack up a flat & bad shot

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

At least spell his name right.

thedreamshake is a well-respected blog. Much better than what you could right over the course of a month.

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Fixed for you. If you are going to call someone out on spelling, at least make sure your post is written correctly as well. Hypocrisy much?