1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2010-11

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 22, 2010.

?

Do you think Josh Smith could fit with the Rockets and fill our defensive void?

1. Yes

460 vote(s)
    70.9%
  2. No

95 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. No Way we need someone else

94 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ok here is a new idea. I didnt want to start a new thread and have people b**** and moan about how it should have been in this or that thread. So here is goes.

Trade to Dallas for Caron Butler.

Dallas has stated as of today that they would be open to trading Caron Butler if it upgrades their team and gives them other pieces that they need. He is in the final year of his contract and would not be as costly as dealing for Iggy or Grainger.

Reasons to do this=

-Upgrade from Ariza.

Shores up a weak link in the chain offensively. no weak spots on the floor offensively. Would be virtually impossible to double team any member of our starting lineup.

-Classy veteran.

Always a solid guy in and out of the locker room. Would in well with this group.

-Can create offense and play outside of the system.

This is actually something we need and ariza Cannot do this as shown last year in the first half of the season. When Adelman's system collapses it would be nice to have someone of his caliber to get some points on the board.

Reasons NOT to do this=

Butler has stayed relatively healthy over the past year or so but he has lost a step. He really has about 3 or 4 more years left in him to play at a decent level.

-Salary or losing a prospect

We would have to add a second or third player to this deal in order to make the salaries match and Ariza probably is not enough to sweeten the deal with Dallas. Teams in the same division do not usually deal with each other very often but Dallas would probably be enticed by adding Taylor, Hill, plus a draft pick or two.

-Defense??

I put a question mark here because Im not sure that he is much worse of a defender that Ariza because he is smart and does not gamble. You will not get the steals that Ariza gets every game or lockdown guys like Kobe and Lebron, But he can get the job done. With this move Battier would most likely recieve more playing time than if he was playing behind a younger Ariza.

-So let me know what you think. I think Iggy and Grainger would be better players at the 3 spot but the possibility of getting them before the trade deadline is highly unlikely.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Maybe something like a Battier and 2011+2012 picks for Gasol and Henry?

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Would love that deal but I dont think that gets it done.

On a side note, West was waived by the Timberwolves today. He would complete our "2 deep at every position" thing we got going on. He is an upgrade from Taylor and would probably be cheap.

4. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

We should sign him to a non guaranteed contract with the remainder of our MLE. I think Bima said we have like 1.85 mill left to use. I think West would accept a 1 year/1.85 million dollar contract with a contender.

Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/West
    Ariza/Battier/Budinger
    Scola/Hill/Patterson
    Yao/Miller/Hayes

We would actually be 3 deep in the frontcourt. West is a good all around player, he gets to the line, good three point shooter, and a good defender.

Plus we can still use Jeffries and Battier in a package for an upgrade come deadline.

5. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Looks like the Wolves just waived West.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/TheWireStory.asp?id=26019

6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We aren't going to bring West on. His mistakes are seriously worse than somebody like Ron Ron. He is unbalanced to say the least.

Plus we have to allow Jermaine Taylor to make it or break it.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I would take Taylor over West anyday. Better scoring and defense. To many people are sleeping on Taylor when this will be his breakout season. Taylor will easily avg. 12+ pts a game off the bench.

8. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Take it for what it's worth. I don't know if this Alex Kennedy guy is credible but this is what he just tweeted:

http://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA

9. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

From Clips/Rox fan

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/8/3/1603761/carmelo-anthony-not-sign-extension-nuggets-2011-free-agent

Would there be a strong possibility that Melo gets moved this offseason? Even during training camp possibly?

Or if they decide to move on, will they wait till the deadline?

I would seriously do this deal if Melo outright told Nuggets FO that he will not sign an extension.

Would you think this could get it done?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeM...tradeId=242n4ng

Martin + Ariza + Hill + Jeffries + Patterson + NY first round draft picks for Carmelo + Anderson?

Brooks/Lowry
    Budinger/Smith
    Carmelo/Battier
    Scola/Anderson
    Yao/Miller/Hayes

You think that's too much or to little in return for Melo?

I think Nuggets shouldn't risk losing their star player for nothing like the Cavs and get something in return.

10. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I always liked Caron's style of playing ... but I don't want any of our "prospects" playing for the Mavs. Maybe when we involve a third team in the trade. But I also think Caron is more of a risk and kind of "short term thinking". Granger or Iggy aren't that highly unlikely IMO ... don't forget our "Wizard GM" :grin:

11. joesr

joesr Member

I just about past out. You seriously want to give Denver all that for a one year rental??? Dont tell me you'd hope he resign with us???

12. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Just an interesting thought (interesting, not nec. good)... I saw Iverson working out at my gym the other day and is in Houston for the week.

13. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Celtics and Rockets trade:

Houston Rockets receive:
    Avery Bradley
    Rasheed Wallace(may retire)
    2011 1st rd pick(top 10 protected)
    2011 2nd rd pick

The rockets load up on draft picks, for possible move on draft night or trade deadline. While also receiving a nice young promising combo guard in Avery Bradley.

Boston Celtics receive:
    Shane Battier
    Mike Harris

The celtics get their much needed back up SF in Shane Battier.

--RB

14. dcalvo

dcalvo Member

Can't really see what the interest would be here for the Celtics at all. 2 draft picks and this year's first rounder for a backup SF and a guy they are going to cut?

15. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Trevor Ariza, Jordan Hill, Jared Jeffries, 2011 1st rd pick for Danny Granger.

16. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

That trade is just laughable.... do you honestly think they will give us Granger for that??

17. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Well, they pretty much get their missing championship James Posey role filled with Shane. A defensive stopper they can throw at Kobe, James, Durant, etc in order to save Pierce from fouls and heavy minutes -which I believe is at the top of their priorities... Which gives value to their back-up SF position spot.

--RB

18. Since75

Since75 Member

Just a thought...What about this

Successful Trade Scenario
    Congratulations on a successful trade.
    Due to Houston, Indiana, and Philadelphia being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Houston, Indiana, and Philadelphia had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID #5656278

Houston Trade Breakdown

Incoming Players
    Danny Granger
    6-8 SF from New Mexico
    24.1 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2.8 apg in 36.6 minutes
    T.J. Ford
    5-11 PG from Texas
    10.3 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 3.8 apg in 25.3 minutes
    Elton Brand
    6-9 PF from Duke
    13.1 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 30.1 minutes
    Andre Iguodala
    6-6 SF from Arizona
    17.1 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 5.8 apg in 38.9 minutes

Indiana Trade Breakdown

Incoming Players
    Jared Jeffries
    6-11 SF from Indiana
    5.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.6 apg in 28.1 minutes
    Trevor Ariza
    6-8 SF from UCLA
    14.9 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 3.8 apg in 36.5 minutes
    Kyle Lowry
    6-0 PG from Villanova
    9.1 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.5 apg in 24.3 minutes
    Jordan Hill
    6-9 PF from Arizona
    4.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 10.5 minutes
    2011 1st Rd. Pick.

Philadelphia Trade Breakdown

Incoming Players
    Kevin Martin
    6-7 SG from Western Carolina
    19.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 2.6 apg in 35.2 minutes
    Shane Battier
    6-8 SF from Duke
    8.0 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 2.5 apg in 32.4 minutes
    Chuck Hayes
    6-6 SF / PF from Kentucky
    4.4 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.7 apg in 21.6 minutes
    2012 1st Rd. Pick

Rockets Lineup

Yao, Miller
    Scola, Brand, Hayes
    Granger, Budinger
    Iggy, Taylor
    Brooks, Ford

Payroll is roughly 82Mil. 7 mil over where the Rockets are now.

I may get flamed but I believe this lineup will match up with any in the West or East. As everyone knows the NBA is all about matchups! Extremely athletic with a good mix of veteran and youthful talent. Flame away. I know it should have been placed in the trade forum. May have been already. I was too lazy to look! Sorry!

19. tikwanleap

tikwanleap Contributing Member

This is supposed to go in the "Random Trade Ideas" thread that Clutch created and stickied at the top of this forum:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=190437

Anyways, this basically is two separate trades by the Rockets. Shouldn't these two trades be discussed separately?

20. 757

757 Member

I love these trades where people have us getting all of the big names, it's just great. I'll talk to Daryl and see what he thinks.