1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did this girl deserve a beating?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Honey Bear, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yPi_HnPdZao&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yPi_HnPdZao&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I always thought their was a difference between the term *****' (a way of saying that somebody is your friend) and ****** (the racial epithet) as 'Pac attempts to articulate, as only he can, in the video above. Sometimes the meaning of words change over time. When I play basketball or soccer I hear non-blacks use the term *****' to describe a close friend. The black people around don't usually take offense. Is there a double-standard, to a certain extent yes, but that's the world we live in. The context and intent behind the usage of the term should be taken into account when making these types of judgments as well. For the record, I think everybody in that video deserved a beating.

2. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Yep, like in Seinfeld the dentist of Jerry only converted to Jew, to tell Joke if Jewish people, then Seinfeld was mad, because of that, the dentist didnt convert because he believed in that religion, he only did it, so he could tell jokes about a religion, without been pointed out.

so then, Jerry tells a joke about dentists, and all the dentists are against him for saying jokes about dentists without being a dentist. and they called him anti-dentite.

So this is almost the same thing, you only can say somethings if you are related to some.

Here it is a recap of that seinfeld episode, with the best parts to describe this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV7m6IIN_tI

Embedding disabled by request

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

My friend you are correct. I am always surprise when people don't get something that is so simple. She in this video obviously meant it in a malicious attacking way. It was pretty dumb and she is lucky she didn't get her ass whip. If it was some females she would have got it. But because these were males (allegedly) they do have the fear of reaction because of whipping her ass. In the words of Chris Rock "there's a reason to push an old lady down a flight of stairs but just don't do it."

1 person likes this.
  4. Landlord Landry

drunk white chick...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kona-

kona- Member

Should white people be able to say it?

Yes.

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

A lot of blacks who get offended by this word do not use it at all and are just as offended when blacks use it in the context that people assume is OK. Yes, those that use it probably would get offended if another race used the word but as somebody already pointed out, if you're judging the black community as a whole from this particular group (rappers and the like) then you're using a poor example of the black community, I don't go around talking about how white people shouldn't drink so much even though I hear something about alcohol in nearly every country song I have heard.

Like I said, I believe this is a thread to justify the use of the word or to slight African-Americans nothing more and nothing less.

1 person likes this.
  7. Lil Pun

Quotes like this just prove my point, looking for justification for use of the word.

And what exactly is stopping them from saying it? They can say whatever they like. Will there be some backlash? More than likely. I can run into a crowded theater and yell "FIRE" if I wanted to, nothing is stopping me from doing that but I'll have to live with the consequences of my actions. A black man can go on the radio and talk bad about Jews if he wanted to, nothing stopping him from doing so but he must be ready to deal with the consequences of his actions. I could keep going but you should understand.

Say it if you want but be ready to deal with the consequences of your actions, if there are any.

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

So because black people aren't using that word in the racial slur way, the double standard doesn't apply? I get that, even though I don't necessarily agree with it.

So let's go to that important but separate issue. (sounds like it's something we aren't privy to talk about, but I'll ask anyways)

clutchfans members:

Do you think blacks who use that word, in any type of connotation, bring down the whole black community?

9. kona-

kona- Member

I agree.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Pretend that the girl didnt have any preceding words of "purple lipped something-something N-woooooooord" before saying it? As though there wasn't any context added in that could be recognized? As though its the same as how blacks would use it? As though the utterance of it is the same blank template no matter the situation?

Don't play coy about it.

So if a dude tells his girlfriend out loud "I'm give it to you GOOD tonight, you NASTY little ho" for giggles and endearment, can someone other dude from work the next day walk up to her and say "How was your weekend, my nasty little HO?"

11. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

says "Malcolm"....

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This issue is kinda like the independent working women saying they should be able to have free unattached sex just like men do. Sex is a badge of honor for men and women should do that just the same.

The truth is no one should be having irresponsible huge quantities of raw sex. Men shouldnt be doing it either. So if you want your daughters to not be tramps, you yourself as a man need to devalue sex. Will you do it?

The core of it is still that blacks did NOT invent the word. They've only diluted it down a little. Though the vulgar origin of the word still exists as the inventors of it intended.

I would think that yeah, on principle blacks should stop using the word...Cuz its just really dumb...

Though the thing is blacks as long as they have been in America have never got the chance to give THEMSELVES the official name to refer to themselves as. Black people didnt create the term "Negro" or "African American". So in a sense, blacks can call each other what they want. Life is confusing and unfair....

*edit*
    On the vid, if she said it to a black GIRL instead of a guy, she'da had a possible beat down coming her way. That girl was obviously TRYING to instigate, but her execution was weak sounding where you couldnt consider her a threat. The measure is her slander and threat must be ugly enough to detract attention from her cute appearance, but didnt.

But then every single of those people in the video deserve a beating

#72 Shroopy2, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I've never understood why this has ever been an issue. Why would anyone who isn't part of the black community care? Why would you want to use it? What's the point?

1 person likes this.
  14. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Most non-blacks who use the "N" word know full well what the reaction will be, that's why it's said in the first place. Predictable.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Kind of like calling her a "b****" huh?

DD

16. Lil Pun

The conversation looked pretty heated from the beginning. It's too bad we don't see what happened before. But I believe calling somebody a name that pretty much deals with their attitude and calling somebody a name based on a physical characteristic are two totally different things.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sure, but they are both mean to inflame and degrade the other human being.

How they take it is entirely based upon their beliefs about the word.

So therefore from the outside we may rate one worse than the other, but generally if you toss the first verbal barb, you should expect an escalation.

Right?

DD

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Generally, the n word is considering far worse than the b word.

19. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Are the terms "cracker" and "n****r" logically equivalent to each other?.....

They should be...but they aren't.

"N****r" causes more problems than any other racial slur....why is that?

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't know why you think these words are "logically equivalent". The experience of racial hatred suffered by black people is not comparable to the experience of racial hatred suffered by white people in this country. So why this talk of equivalence?

1 person likes this.