1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 Years in prison- A Man's Story

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dafranchise0309, Jul 20, 2010.

1. drumbum

drumbum Member

My thoughts too, since I did read somewhere on the board that something like this happens daily, which wouldn't surprise me.

Maybe they are deflated to make our prison system look better than it is? But I doubt this source would have those intentions...

Maybe someone with more information can chime in?

2. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Great share, great story. Would love for this guy to write a book...definitely would read. The broken American prison systems and the rampant corruption that dwells within them are two big issues that I love learning about. It's such a difficult problem to fix both from the inside in terms of administration, as well as the outside in terms of prevention/rehabilitation.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I know right, we should just go back to hanging people for violent crimes, save the taxepayers so much money.

;)

DD

4. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Oh definitely. Sure we might get a few wrong here or there, but hey, you win some you lose some! :p Hell I think the % error of wrongly accused might go down, as well as the overall rate of crime....I doubt someone would even wanna THINK of getting involved in any crimes if they can even be remotely put in a position to be hung for it.

I remember reading the Johnny Cochran book, "A Lawyer's Life" and shaking my head in disbelief at the recollection of his work as a public defender in his early career. He explained that the system tosses so many clients at you, that public defenders really don't get the time to put up a SOLID case for anyone because they're always juggling multiple cases. In most instances, it's easier to convince the accused to settle or try to get the best deal, because even if they are innocent, the lawyer simply doesn't have the time or resources to put in the effort required to front a good defense.

#24 Rockets R' Us, Jul 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Depends on how one defines "murder" and whether or not it is reported as such I suppose.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Just started reading, but I wanted to comment on the "no workout equipment" thing. I went to Sam Houston State, and one of my roommates was a criminal justice major and I had the pleasure of going on a tour of the Walls Unit with him and his class since the prof worked there. Most of it is inactive now since it is so old, and I think it is a good behavior/low security prison now, because when we walked outside there were prisoners roaming around freely in a big open area surrounded by four buildings. Like a big courtyard in the middle of the prison.

Anyhow, there were basketball courts and weight benches/machines everywhere, and they were all being used. Once again, I'm sure it was just because it was a low security prison, but thought I would share.

7. dcalvo

dcalvo Member

Sorry but am I missing something here?

Then your sister - they might say they'll wait, but you know they won't. I called mine on my second week and told her it was over. Apart from the total shock of going away, I couldn't stand spending every night wondering if she was getting cranked by some other dude.

Pretty powerful stuff either way.

8. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

sister means girlfriend

9. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Try this one.....
    In the Belly of the Beast

1 person likes this.
  10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Yeah, looks like that particular board has some strange autocorrect settings. "Girlfriend" is changed to sister and "band" is changed to pedophile group.

11. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

I can't believe I read all of that but it was so interesting/crazy.