1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Apple account has apparently been hacked

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 18, 2010.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have had 8 unauthorized purchases in one transaction on my Apple account (e.g., a Russian-English-Russian dictionary app and some other stuff (e.g. a program called fatbooth and another one called agingbooth)). Strange stuff. I know for a fact that I have not disclosed my password to anyone, nobody had access to my computer or iPad (I don't own an iPhone). I certainly also do not fall for phishing mails or IMs. It appears to me that the security issue seems to be within the app store itself.

I found this article here: http://www.devicemag.com/2010/07/13...acked-in-second-incident-of-apps-store-fraud/

...but in my case it is different, as all the apps purchased are from various providers.

Strange stuff. Check your e-mails and your Apple Store purchase history for any suspicious purchases from the Apple store that you did not make. I'm wondering if there are others out there whose accounts might also have been compromised.

I reported the issue to Apple an hour ago and also changed my password. Strangely, very shortly thereafter, I received another e-mail from my credit card provider that the Apple store yet again made one of these small charges to my credit card, as if to check if my card is valid - so there might be more fraudulent activity coming soon (the strange thing with Apple is that the actual invoices often arrive days later in my e-mail inbox when I purchase something from their store).

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

My itunes account was hacked and there were lots of unauthorized purchases.

I couldn't even change my password, somehow they got my username and changed it and still made the transactions.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Did you report that to Apple? How was it resolved? Did they compensate you?

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

My credit card company took off all the charges and I didn't have to pay anything.

I tried to figure out how to report it to Apple, but I couldn't figure out how. It doesn't seem like they have much in the way of customer support for these issues.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This has been in the news for a few weeks now I think. I know they reported several hundred accounts being hacked not too long ago. One of the first things that was noticed was how some obscure apps all of a sudden became really popular sellers and shot up the "top picks" charts rather quickly. Here is the story :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38108231
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20100707/tc_pcworld/apple400itunesaccountshacked

*EDIT* : this may not be the hacking your'e seeing, though, as you said you saw multiple downloads from various authors.

6. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

report it to the cyberepolice

7. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PhLSkN1V08c&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PhLSkN1V08c&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I read about this.

They said that those ebooks or whatever were hot sellers, but they were in Vietnamese.

9. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Do you think it was the Muslims who did it?

10. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

:grin: :grin: WOW.

11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

They got me for 99 cents
    then 5 dollars
    and another 40

the CC on there was my PayPal debit card so I'm double ****ed. Tried to contact Apple, they said to email them. I finally got a hold of a rep and they said contact your CC provider.

Assholes.

Screw PayPal

Screw Apple

12. DontTradeOswalt

And believe you and me when they find out who did it...

...CONSEQUENCES WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!!!!

Hopefully nothing like this happens to me thought

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

OK first of all, hilarious! hahahah.

what's the back story of this? Did some kids spread false rumors about the girl or did they post uh-oh pics of her on fb?

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Double post, apologies!

I just saw the thread about the video. I'm a dumbass, forgive my shortcomings.

15. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

Just backtrace it!

16. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Similar thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago.
    I don't use ITunes store often but needed to buy something. I had to update my cc info first - after putting all the info in and trying to submit the Itunes store kept on giving me an error. It finally accepted the info. Then next morning I got a call from my CC company about suspicious charges from Apple Store, PKI-PAY.com, and PS Network...they declined all of those charges and gave me a new card.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am surprised that this is not getting more widespread coverage. There seem to be serious security issues in Apple's app store. I have not even bought anything on iTunes in more than a month, it seems like the data is not safe with them, I keep my data safe, and I am not having problems elsewhere.

I am waiting to receive their reply by tonight, if I have not received it, I will make sure that it gets coverage on German IT media, at least.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The thing I don't quite get is why I have to go through the hassle of getting my whole card blocked and getting a new card when it is apparent that the security issue is only in Apple's sphere.

19. akperez

akperez Contributing Member

Mine was hacked last week. Luckily only for $10.54. I just removed my credit card from my itunes account and changed my password.