1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[REAL GM] Insider proposed Rockets deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bbllr3431, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Ariza, Hill, Jeffries, and a NY 1st rd pick for someone who can't shoot? Yuck. Remove the 1st rd pick in the deal then it's pretty fair but i still won't do such a trade this early.

2. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Why wouldn't you do that trade early if you could? We would upgrade at the SF position and become even more of a threat to win an NBA championship.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

3. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

If we do this, and Yao stays healthy, we're definitely a contender. And that's without getting a big improvement from PPatt, Turner, or C-Bud, one of which will make great strides this year.

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I haven't read through this entire thread but is there any evidence of this supposed insider from RealGM (sixerfan1976) breaking news in advance in the past?

If not, we have 22 pages of discussion about what is potentially unreliable information.

I understand that the OP says that he's credible but that, in itself, is based on what exactly?

What gives "sixerfan1976" credibility?

5. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Because he is Dr. J ... :grin:

6. vanxxx

vanxxx New Member

very good

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I can't remember the deal that he broke for them, the inside info he scooped, but there was SOMEthing. In fact, I think there was more than one instance, the Nocioni deal being one of them.

In any case, they don't follow him for nothing over there. The problem being, obviously he can't control whether the 76ers have the guts to trade Iggy, especially with a new coach in place.

8. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I dont understand this logic? If we make a trade at the deadline the team will have a month and a half to mesh and get the chemistry down. I wouldnt want to take that risk. I rather have the main pieces of the team set before training camp so they would get the majority of the season playing together.

BUT...

If we do get Iggy I hope he doesnt become what Richard Jefferson was to the Spurs. eek.

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

What does the early worm get...?

I am so confused.

10. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

My first thought on a possible Iggy deal, and this going back to during last season when there were a lot of speculation, was not very good. I've never been an Iggy guy, though I admit I've not seem him play much. But, he just seemed like a typical scorer that should NEVER be THE guy on a team. As we've seen over his career, he's not a guy that has elevated his team whatsoever.

But, looking a little more deeply at him as a player and how he might look in a Rocket's uni, my mood has changed somewhat. While he's certainly not a guy you want to build around and/or be the alpha dog on your team, he won't have to be on the Rockets. Maybe that's Morey's plan... if he can't get a superstar on the roster, then build a team full of third-tier guys who fit REALLY well with each other and make them a VERY tough team to play against. Iggy would fit this mold.

He's not a good outside shooter; but with Aaron, Martin, CBud, BMiller, and Scola (guys who can hit a 18-20+ ft. jumper), he doesn't NEED to be. Opposing teams can't pack the paint on him with the fear of other guys killing them with open jumpers. What he does bring to the roster, that they don't currently have, is a guy who attacks the rim and can do so by creating it on his own.

There is own prevailing feeling I have for this team this year (Bosh or no Bosh)... is who is THAT guy who will elevate his game and the team in a Game 7 scenario? That's the only thing that I feel separates them from the true contenders. But, imagine a lineup in a 4th quarter or Brooks, Martin, Iggy, Scola and Yao. How the hell does the opposition guard that? So, while there's not a main guy taking over a game, they can be just as or more dangerous with the amount of weapons on the court at once, all of which simply FIT together perfectly.

My first thought about his contract was not very good as well. But, if you look around the league, he's pretty much getting paid market value as a 26 yr. old athletic scorer and he's not making upwards of $20 mil.

Sorry for the ramble, but my final verdict is (at the right price) he could be a VERY nice addition to the Rockets.

2 people like this.
  11. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

If there is legitimate interest by both GM's on this deal, I think the holdup might be that Philly is asking for too much in return and Morey is not willing to relent, so the deal isn't moving forward. Philly could choose to work with other teams, but not many teams in the league are looking to adding a solid, semi-elite player with a huge contract for 3 more years while giving up their assets (picks and young players). Keep this in mind, yes most teams in the league have young players and draft picks to deal, but they haven't accumulated them like Morey has, so he is willing to move them in the right deals. Well, other teams don't have the quality or quantity of assets and it will take a "knock your socks off" deal for them, and there aren't going to be those types of deals for Iggy and his huge ass contract.

This deal will stay on the back-burner until Philly is ready to play ball and lower their asking price, while the Rockets are shopping around looking for other options, like they did when they found Sacramento, which brought NY back to the table for McLady. I do think they like Granger better. He fits this team better, more of an outside shooter, better contract, better height at the 3 than Iggy. Morey will make the best deal though, you can count on that.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

These are pretty similar to my thoughts as well. I like the idea of having a team filled with very good players but no egomaniac superstars.

I also think Iggy is a better shooter than people are giving him credit for. He's forced to take a lot of bad shots because nobody else on his team can score worth a crap. His efficiency would go up a lot on the Rockets with all of our weapons giving him more open looks.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

None of these are ever trully 100% credible, but I have followed his stuff for about 2 years and he is usually spot on.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Right. That might indeed by Morey's "new plan" after not getting a "top of the line" superstar. Just load up the team with quality across the board to "limit risk" and to improve the asset war chest to get closer to making bigger moves. If the bigger moves don't materialize, then we have a solid roster from top to bottom to compete.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think he has a choice, so few "Superstars" break loose...and Yao was our shot with the number 1 pick.

DD

16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

He doesn't have his own stickied thread at the Sixers site for nothing.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I agree. Because of the "situations", Iggy is much more attainable then Paul, Granger or Melo. We can hope that those players will whine their way out of their teams to make them available, but I don't think that's a good strategy. Morey needs to pounce on talent and make shifts later.

18. DaDakota

Agreed and maybe Iggy packaged along with another good player like Ariza or CBud would net you Melo....or CP3.

You just keep incrementally improving the team and be ready when one of the big guys wants to move.

There is always the danger it never happens, but if you are a 55+ win team and in the playoffs, sometimes you get lucky and win without a superstar too.....so that is not all bad.

DD

19. Raven

Raven Member

Something else. Perhaps Les doesn't think Yao will fully recover. If that's the case, and assuming a lockout destroys a full season, I can see Les going all in. He wants one last chance to win with Yao, and he knows this is it.

2011 NBA Championship or bust?

20. DaDakota

Yep, and if Yao breaks, they move another direction all together, it is why I think the team needs to ramp up his minutes considerably by February to find out if his body will hold up.

DD