1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MJ: "I would never have called up Larry, Magic & say lets get together."

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheMacster, Jul 18, 2010.

1. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Hands down MJ, Magic and Bird!

Is this even a question?

Bird would lay Bosh's soft ass down, Magic would crush LeBrick and MJ would make Wade scream like a lil school girl.

2. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

lets see..1 ring vs..how many? 14? 15?

3. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

This argument doesn't work anymore.

4. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

The league was way more competitive back then than it is now.

5. dback816

dback816 Member

I could care less what MJ says at this point.

But the people hanging on his nuts are probably all getting excited over this and using it against Bron. Put Jordan on that Cleveland team and they won't win a ring either.

6. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Just wanted to get a reaction out of someone....

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

They had a show on sirius called full court press. It was a 3 hr hoops show with kenny smith,ian eagle,rick mahorn,dee brown and a few others. The year the cavs went to the finals, a bunch of us said it was fools gold. James basically doing impossible things led the cavs to thinking they were that close vs continuing to team build with guys that can grow with lebron. If you look at the players drafted in the years prior and post 03, you will see luke jackson,shannon brown and jj hickson along with 4 yrs of no 1st rd picks. I'm not saying he was right or wrong, but i always thought that team was super overachievers.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Again I don't get it.

Demanding for better teammates= competitive

Creating a better team=Lechoke, quitting, coward

WHAT's THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ASKING YOUR GM TO CREATE A GOOD TEAM AND CREATING A GOOD TEAM?

Please answer that first before you start spewing hypocritical crap.

9. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

You can blame John Paxson for basically giving away all of their draft picks, but at the end of the day the brunt of the blame will always go to LeBrick.

They had a pretty solid lineup last year, dunno why LeBrick couldn't take them far.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

So you're saying that Cavs team was actually pretty good? Gimme a break, let's see how well they do this season with James :rolleyes:

The fact that you think that the cavs were a legit 60 win team boggles my mind. Take LBJ out and they'll be luck to win half that.

11. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Jamison
    Mo
    Big Z
    Hickson

Stop making excuses. The team won more than 120 games in 2 regular seasons. Lebron didnt get it done and should be held accountable.

12. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

How exactly can you win 60 games and it not be legit? Lmao. You guys have stopped at nothing to place blame on everybody BUT the person who quit on his team. The Lebron sympathy has reached new pathetic levels :rolleyes:

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

Did you really just list Hickson though?

What point did you prove by listing him?

14. j-young

j-young Member

IMO the one thing between Jordan and LeBron and all the players since the post-Jordan era is that MJ wanted to win so bad that his competitive nature forced everyone around him to be the best they can. He made his teammates push themselves so hard to the point that they became as obsessed with winning as MJ and that mentality led the Bulls and Jordan to 6 championship.

15. j-young

j-young Member

And that's why he's the GOAT.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I cant see MJ agreeing to the same signings and acquisitions the cavs made....MJ may be a bad judge of talent now, sitting at a desk, but ont he court he knew who he could work with and what he could do with them. Lebron doesnt. He wanted to bring in pure statistical talent. Lebron is a lot more likely to bring in players he's "cool" with, than players who he really needs. Basically whats happening in Miami. It's his buddies. It's also why he's got all his high school friends running his brand for the most part.

agree 100%....i think the teams in the east were just busy figuring themselves out and finding pieces, so lebron was able to carry the cavs...this year as well, but they clearly didnt have the right people to get the job done. The biggest mistake was acquiring whatever they could and worrying about fitting it together later. That's why no one could come to lebron now.

And did anyone see Sir Charles in the tourney this weekend? He's got one serious case of anterior pelvic tilt. I doubt he ever gets off his chair anymore, he can barely walk. He did win a cookie eating contest they had though :grin:

17. HRocketsFan

HRocketsFan Member

I just don't get the people that are saying that LeBron didn't have a decent team around him.

Ever since he was drafted by the Cavs, they made the playoffs 5 times in 7 years, went to the Finals once and had 60+ wins the past 2 seasons. What happened in the playoffs was either the Cavs choked or they quit. You take your pick. But this whole "LeBron didn't have help" crap is nonsense. Why does he get a free pass?

And if Jordan was on this Cavs team, it's hard to say for certain whether he would have won a title with them, but he wouldn't have went down without a fight, unlike the Cavs team we saw against Boston.

18. skatbone

skatbone Member

I think this line of thinking is misguided as it assumes that Jordan and Lebron are playing in the same era. Even Jordon notes, in the linked article, that "things are different. I can't say that's a bad thing. It's an opportunity these kids have today. In all honesty, I was trying to beat those guys."

Another recent thread on Clutchfans links to this SI article where Ian Thomson puts the Jordon/Lebron disucssion in context (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ian_thomsen/07/16/lebron/index.html?eref=sircrc).

He makes a compelling argument that Jordan is too much of an anomaly in the history of basketball--specifically, his ability to both dominate individually AND win championships is, as Thomson argues, historically unprecedented in the NBA.

I don't like the way Lebron handled the decision, but I don't think we can compare what it might take him to win a championship versus what it took Jordon without considering a host of other factors, including this unprecendented free agent class and the way the owners, in part, have built up this hype by gutting rosters to create cap space. This isn't simply an issue of Lebron versus Jordon and the differences in competitive attitudes. The league--especially economics, branding and licensing, free agency--partially makes the players who they are.

Sure, Lebron could have used a Pau Gasol. However, I don't understand why this assessment of the Cavs circulates with such prominance. I'll offer one statistic to challenge the notion that "Bron had no one to help him out."

In 2009-2010, the Cavs allowed 95.6 points per game (http://www.82games.com/0910/0910CLE3.HTM). That's good enough for 6th in the league (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2010.html). And the NBA Championship winning Lakers, admittedly, playing in the arguably tougher Western Conference, allowed 97 points per game (http://www.82games.com/0910/0910LAL3.HTM).

I don't think that defense can be entirely attributed to Lebron James.

19. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

It's like every other thing on here. People have their views and draw lines in the sand. I can see why people are upset about the special (I'm not) but it took a lot to do what he did whether you agree or not. From a business standpoint, it's impressive the amount leverage he commanded. Now that he's signed, a lot of that leverage is gone but he's with his friends so it appears to be worth it for him. I wish the team well. Too bad we don't have three elite players while they're coming into/are in their primes...

20. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Back in the day these players had a warrior mentality, I miss that. These days all the players talk about is "having fun"