1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets reach deal with Scola - 5 years, $47 million

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Jul 15, 2010.

?

Are you in agreement with the contract (5 years, $47M) the Rockets gave Luis Scola?

1. YES

934 vote(s)
    90.2%
  2. NO

102 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Seth

Seth Member

Yeah, this is basically what i referred to when taliking about touching Morey´s heart.
    Scola would walk away if he felt he was being lowbailed or something like that. He respected his commitment and the city these past 3 years and expected the team to show some commitment his way.
    I think i post it before... let me check..
    I think this is what i was meaning
    [BleacherReport]Why Luis Scola is the Forgotten One #18

1 person likes this.
  2. BarkleyHater84

For everyone who thinks we overpaid for Lowry and Scola I have 2 words for you:
    JOE JOHNSON
    6 years 120 mil.
    Combine those two guys production and the combined will still make a little more than half of what he will make the next 4 years. I will take that....

3. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

If the annual raise is 10%, Scola's new contract starts at about 7.7 mil in the first year. The guy is the heart and soul of the current Rockets team including Yao. He was a bench player, a starter/role player, a main guy who carried his team, in any of the situations, you saw him giving the same effort every game.

Scola deserves every penny of the 47 mil, and I think he deserves more.

4. dartherus

dartherus Member

I concur, we've seen he's capable of givin 20/10 (plus a lot of intangibles coming from his very high Basketball IQ) on regular basis with enough minutes, and more important, unlike other 'stars', he has showed always (even in Europe) that he's willing to accept minor roles for the sake of the team...

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

People always undervalue their own team's players and overvalue someone else's.

DD

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this is true only in free agency. in trades, it is the exact opposite.

7. DaDakota

I don't know, it seems that most fans are peering over the fence at other assets.

People see their own teams players day in and day out and notice all the flaws.

On other team's players they only see highlights and thus are a lot more forgiving.

It is why Brooks gets killed by some casual fans on here, and he is prized around the league by other teams.

I guess the truth is sort of in the middle.

DD

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Failure to praise Brooks (and Budinger) makes you a "casual fan."

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Let me guess ... you're in the middle? :)

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Other teams prize Brooks? We only need one team to prize Brooks, that being the Hornets. I guess I'd settle for the Pacers also.

11. mofuggin_OG

mofuggin_OG Member

moreys twitter some days ago

looks like we got a plan C ;)

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i disagree to some extent. i think fans (especially casual fans) see their team through beer goggles. that's where being a homer comes from. that's why there are so many outlandish trade suggestions such as trading a marginal player for a superstar. the marginal player may be of some importance to the home team, and thus valued greatly by the fans, who in turn think that other nba gm's see this player in the same light.

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

LOL...

Why is leebigez in your sig?

Anyway, Scola deserves the deal. He rebounds, he scores, he hustles - he just knows how to contribute in many different roles. It might be a little too long but I think Morey has done well in a time when guys who produce like Scola get much more lucrative deals.

14. DaDakota

Nah, just the casual ones that think Lowry is better.

;)

Oh no, I am firmly a homer.....but one that recognizes the true value of our players.

You know, the serious fan.

:grin:

Interesting, so what is it like to wear these beer goggles?

Outlandish trade ideas, you mean like trading a washed up malcontent and a backup PF for a near all star wing, a recent high lottery pick and 2 future picks?

Smart GM's maximize other team's situations, while protecting their own future and team....

Morey has been really smart so far.

DD

#334 DaDakota, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  15. aggie87

aggie87 Member

I dont mind paying scola close to 10M a yr, but I do mind paying for a player who will be 35 in the last year of his contract playing garbage time minutes

16. lalala902102001

Obviously Les has kept his word and has opened up his pocket. Scola deserves this contract. He's been our most consistent player for the last couple of years.

17. Seth

Seth Member

I think you didn´t mean what you meant.
    But anyways, remember that Scola´s 5th year is only partially guaranteed, becaming fully guaranteed based on acomplishments. So what he will be paid will reflect what he keeps bringing to the team on his last years.

18. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

So you are worrying about that a 10+ mil expiring contract may not be an asset with DM as your GM?

19. valorita

valorita Member

To those who think Scola was "overpaid":

Is there anyone else on our team that you would rather overpay? At some point, our team will have to pay talent for what they are worth in order to retain our best players. I would happily give a guy like Scola his market value than save a couple million dollars per year to less deserving players.

20. Precision340

Precision340 Member

congrats to scola!! deserves every penny!