1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hornets express relief after getting Head

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The_Yoyo, Jul 10, 2010.

1. HRocketsFan

HRocketsFan Member

Nice one!

2. lalala902102001

I'm happy for Head -- finally some action again.

3. RAYRAY

RAYRAY Member

Looks like they won't be getting Head... Is this a case where the Hornets are not wanting to take on additional salary? If so this might be a sign that the Hornets are in fact willing to trade CP3. The Rockets should work out a 3 way trade reviving the Portland New Orleans trade that was rumored with the Rockets landing CP3 instead ... just a thought.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5381188

Agent: Hornets rescind offer to Head

NEW ORLEANS -- The agent for Luther Head said Wednesday that his client is healthy and that the New Orleans Hornets have not offered a reasonable explanation for why they rescinded a two-year contract offer for the veteran guard.

Mark Bartelstein said the Hornets informed him not long after general manager Jeff Bower had stepped down on Tuesday that Head, who played for the Indiana Pacers last season, had failed a physical.

"That's absurd," Bartelstein said told The Associated Press by phone Wednesday night. "There's nothing wrong with Luther Head. Nothing. They're doing tremendous damage to a player by putting out there that there's something physically wrong with him when there's nothing wrong with him. ... I spoke to the Pacers' medical staff this morning. They said he passed his end-of-the-season physical with flying colors and there should be absolutely no issues."

The Hornets have not formally acknowledged that there was ever a deal with Head, but Bartelstein said on Saturday that Head had a two-year deal with New Orleans worth about $2.5 million, with a player's option for the second season.

"Jeff Bower got fired yesterday. This is a deal I made with Jeff Bower on Saturday. Then suddenly, hours after Jeff Bower was fired, I was told they were going to rescind the contract on Luther," Bartelstein said. "So I would ask anyone to connect the dots."

Although it was not immediately clear what sort of recourse Head could pursue without a signed contract, Bartelstein told ESPN.com in a phone interview that he would "explore avenue possible" with the league and NBA Players Association to determine if the deal can be enforced.

Bartelstein said Hornets team president Hugh Weber did not seem at all interested in renegotiating, as clubs often do when there is genuine disagreement over the results of a physical.

"I've been doing this 25 years. I've never had a situation like this ever happen," Bartelstein said. "All you can do is pay attention to people's actions and draw your own conclusions.

"This is a business that is supposed to be based upon trust and handshakes and being able to make deals where you trust people's intentions," Bartelstein continued. "I made a deal with Jeff Bower. If a team had an issue with a physical, you would never ever get a phone call saying, 'The deal's been rescinded. We're moving on.' The team would call you and say, 'Hey, we've got something we're concerned about in the physical. Let's figure out a way to work around it. Let's deal with it.' Maybe you put an exception to a particular injury [in the contract]. You would discuss it. You wouldn't just flat-out rescind the contract and say, 'That's it, we're moving on,' with no communication unless your intentions are something else."

Hornets spokesman Harold Kaufman said the club would not respond to Bartelstein's comments at this time.

Bartelstein has represented a number of well-known NBA and NFL players, including former Hornets forward P.J. Brown, Pacers star Danny Granger, recently retired NFL quarterback Kurt Warner and Cleveland Browns quarterback Jake Delhomme.

The 6-foot-3 Head is entering his sixth NBA season. Following stints with Houston and Miami, Head averaged 7.6 points, 1.7 rebounds and 1.5 assists in 47 games with the Pacers last season.

Bartelstein said the Hornets told him their doctors were concerned about the condition of one of Head's ankles, based on what they saw in an MRI.

"It's extremely unsettling and it's disappointing for Luther," Bartelstein said. "Here's a young man who's trying to build a career and suddenly he's tagged with failing a physical when in fact he's playing basketball every single day. There's absolutely nothing wrong with him. The fact of the matter is, there's not a player in the NBA who couldn't be failed on a physical if a team wanted to fail the player."

4. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

This quote sounds like it's describing a horror/comedy about a huge head that plays basketball.

5. PeppermintCandy

Man, that really sucks for Head.

6. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

[​IMG]

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

WojYahooNBA Just hung up the phone with agent Mark Bartelstein, who's irate over Hornets empty suit Hugh Weber reneging on a contract for Luther Head

WojYahooNBA After firing Jeff Bower as GM, Weber is trying the slimy trick of 'failing' a healthy player on a physical to back out of a deal Bower made.

WojYahooNBA Weber is one more clown act running a team who doesn't know if the ball is stuffed or blown. With Shinn, he undermined Bower at every turn

WOW what a piece of work this guy is, to bad for Luther...they are basically asking Paul to request a trade out of there.

8. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Nice! That's so 90's.

9. LandryMegaBeast

10. shoodomoney

shoodomoney Member

I'm 12 years old and what is this?

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he will get on somewhere. I'm sure luther is looking for a better pay check and more luck too him. He does provide a great skill set in the right system. Although he and his agent might not like the paycheck as much, i think he's a great fit for Miami. Having him as a spot up shooter, which is his best asset, would be great for that team....albeit at reduced income.

Oh yeah. Have i mentioned i love Head?

12. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

they'll make the playoffs.

13. alethios

alethios Member

14. arjun

arjun Member

I was this game it was one of the best moments ever!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9ZGMolLGsBc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9ZGMolLGsBc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

"Oh, [Luther] Head with [a] facial!"

Head with facial is all I got out of this video.