1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs after Lowry???

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by davestrate, Jul 11, 2010.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Are you kidding???

The Cavs won't win 20 games next season. They may not even win 10.

2. DontTradeOswalt

I wish they would make the playoffs as an 8th seed....could you imagine Heat vs. Cavs :O LeBron owning his old team

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Maybe I misunderstand, but doesn't the TE work as effectively having that salary on the books for the purpose of MLE's etc? ie they could spend it to acquire him?

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

A trade exception can only be used for trades. It can't be used to sign a free agent. So unless the Rockets decide that they want to trade Lowry to Cleveland then that huge TE is of no use to them in acquiring Lowry. Best they could do is to use their MLE.

Does that make sense? If they had capspace then they could sign Lowry to an offer sheet and see if the Rockets would match. With the TE they can't even sign him to an offer sheet for anything larger than the MLE.

5. DdotConrad503

DdotConrad503 Member

Haha that will be hilarious if they end up facing each other in the playoffs

6. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

Nah, the refs hate Yao for some strange reason

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Trade is the keyword in trade exception. It cannot be used to sign players. It's only used to trade for players.

8. jackiespam

jackiespam Member

they may have no choice of matching cavs offer if he get mid level money because they waited too long because any backup point guard free like foye, jordan farmar, steve blake are signed already. they will over pay for lowry because there are no other options, Ridnour is the only left point guard that still a free agent. a lowry for delonte west or trade exception may not be too bad.

9. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

He won't get more than the MLE. I am sure Morey is prepared to match. He already said he is matching any offer.

Besides, I doubt anybody uses full MLE for a PG they expect to come off the bench. I like Lowry but I think MoWill is the starter there.