1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Minimal Effect of Miami on the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MiracleShot, Jul 12, 2010.

1. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

With all the hoopla about Miami and how the finals is just going to be Lakers vs. Heat, if you think about it, not much has changed in the West from it. From a league's point of view yes it's horrible and kills the competition and possibly illegal (see dish) but from the point of view of the Rockets who cares? We play them 1 maybe 2 times in the season. We will start worrying about them IF we face them in the Finals. First of all, we have to get to the Finals. Second of all, there is a good chance that they may not even make it past Orlando, Boston, or the Knicks (depending on if Melo and CP3 go there). So let's start freaking out about Miami when we face them in the Finals.

1 person likes this.
  2. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I kinda think we match up pretty well against them. They won't be able to stop Yao or Brooks, and we have better then average wing defenders. The fact that we will be able to draw fouls is likely to take one of their 3 out for much of the game.

I'd even consider putting Hayes at the 3 to cover LeBron for part of the time. He can make LeBron work, draw some fouls and give us the rebound advantage. Offense would have to get creative, but if he can even draw one foul on LeBron, that'd be a plus.

3. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

cool story, bro

4. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Yao will average 30-10 everytime he goes up against the CHeat's weak ass frontcourt.

I feel sorry for Bosh.

5. mamojama

mamojama Member

When Miami goes 82-0, it won't really matter much in the West. We'll all have a couple losses at their hands, and it will even out.

6. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

If Battier, Yao, and Scola, can do their job of flopping and receiving fouls ;) , we can take out one of their big 3 giving us the clear edge. While dominating their already weak paint defense with no real centers? Will Perkins or Big Baby Davis really handle be able to guard a healthy Yao, while Garnett is busy with Scola as long as we bring him back? :eek:

7. Prince

Prince Member

They can't stop Yao.

We can stop James if Shane is around.

We can stop Dwade if Yao is back too. It will be less penetration for DWAde

8. AggieRocketsFan

It's gunna take Haslem AND Bosh to hold Yao to 20-10

9. blink

blink Contributing Member

:eek: :eek:

10. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I see what you did there.

That said, it'll be quite difficult for them to stop Yao if Chris Bosh is playing the 5. If they get a bigger guy, it might not be so difficult... or they'll just double him.

11. Knight

Knight Member

If you think we are contenders for the NBA championship (and not just Western Conf Championship), or will be one is a year or 2, then you would be worried about the Heat. If you don't, then you leave the Lakers and the Orlandos to do the worrying.
    I am in the worry camp.

12. lastreg

lastreg Member

They can't stop Yao? How about Stern-instructed Refs?

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Nice reply, rookie. You'll no doubt be a valuable member here for years to come!

1 person likes this.
  14. OremLK

OremLK Member

If they double Yao our shooters will go to town.

15. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Yeah, you'd hope so.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'd say if other teams, like dallas, for example, start freaking out prematurely, then it'll definitely affect us. Teams are more likely to pull the trigger on bigger trades and try to hit a home run. It could happen anytime from now until the deadline. As of now it has a small effect because their roster isnt complete and they havent played a game...however if they put together a balanced roster and start off well you may see teams, in both the east and west, try and acquire better talent, and that's where it'll hurt us. Hopefully it just blows up in their faces, chemistry wise....

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

that'll be the key in a matchup against the Heat. who'll be their center? Its clear bosh wants no part in playing center, whether it's against Yao or any other 5. if they can score a 5 that can "contain" Yao, then it's a big win for them. If not, it'll force bosh to move for part of games to guard yao and hopefully that'll put us over the top every time. That's how you'll beat this team,overwhelm them at the 4/5.

18. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

I think that you make some interesting points... However I don't think that there is that much talent on the market that would be acquirable by say middle of the pack teams such as Dallas that would make such a big difference on their roster that it would set us back.

19. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

Also, I agree that there will probably be a lot of chemistry problems

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

things change over half a season...martin went from being available, to not, to thenbeing traded....right now i'm honestly worried about Deron williams' situation. He's already expressed frustration after losing boozer/korver. What will he say if they start off playing like a lottery team? Will he be demanding a trade by the deadline? utah will try its best not to move him, but if he insists they may find it's the best way to resolve the situation and rebuild their team at the same time. Someone like dallas, who has a lot of talent that doesnt fit together, could package them some players and score deron williams.

they could also include AK47 who has a huge expiring contract...

justoff the top off my head, dampier + caron + kidd is around 30 mill and so is ak47 and deron...utah gets to clear those 30 mill about a year or two sooner and dallas gets deron...

DeronW
    Terry
    Marion
    Dirk
    Haywood

i think is a better fit than they have now