1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the rest of the league overpay players?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BEAT LA, Jul 12, 2010.

1. acefan18

acefan18 Member

Edit Title: "Should the rest of the league go Mark Cuban and c**k block the Miami Heat?"

2. pacmania

pacmania Member

Its possible especially their frontcourt. If they aren't able to sign any good or decent seven footers their superstars will be worn out trying to out jump the taller players all the time.

If Zydrunas Ilgauskaus is rumored to sign with them , Prokorhov of the Nets should pirate him. Just don't let them build their front court, they already have a good back court, their weakest link is still bosh and the frontcourt so far.

1 person likes this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Overpaying is a dumb idea.

As a FA, would you take 500k more to play on a team that might not even make it to the play offs or would you take the cut and play for a team that is near certain to make it to the finals? How much more does a player/team get if they win in the playoffs??

4. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

5. sbyang

sbyang Member

That's a great way to run a team. Hear about the Heat being interested in a player, immediately overpay for that player. Doesn't matter if he fits your team or not. Immediately overpay for him, use your MLE or LLE if you must, get yourself a big fat luxury tax bill, all for the sake of keeping the rumored guy away from the heat.

I hear the heat were interested in Antoine Walker. Lets sign him up for 5 mil a year.

6. CGuess

CGuess Member

I think your almost correct. NBA GM's talk, and I think many of them will have reservations about dealing with Miami. They already raped the leuague, similar to the Lakers, they couldn't have done that without the approval of the NBA and David Stern, I doubt too many GM's are going to accept phone calls from the Heat organization unless D. Stern call out the dogs on them.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

haha perfect :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

8. Egghead

Egghead Member

Why would he sign with a team that is only offering him a few grand more. If he really wants to play for the heat for the minimum he will play there unless he is offered a few million more.

9. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

fixed

10. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

I think they are reffering to Zydrunas Ilgauskaus, but i watched like bout 60 cavs games this year and ive never heard him called that before. The standard "Big-Z", is the most used nickname.

11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

By all means, I would welcome the Heat to sign Walker.

Are you guys not reading my posts? I said they can sign scrubs like Finley, but a guy like could be a decent 3rd string reserve in case of injuries on any team.

On Miami, he will make 3's and keep Wade from playing 45 minutes per game every night.

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I think everyone has there price. Maybe he doesn't want to play all those minutes. He realizes he is getting old and his body can't do what it used to.

On the Rockets, he gets more money and a chance to win a ring.

13. igorx

igorx Member

Fisher met Riley yesterday, but i believe he will stay with Lakers.

14. sbyang

sbyang Member

You are correct. We need to sign Finley for 5 mil a year and pay 5 mil in luxury tax. All so he can rot on the bench, but it will make Wade play 45 mins a game.

Because as an NBA owner, who cares if I lose tons of money, who cares if I run out of cash and have to sell my draft picks. NBA owners have 1 objective, to overpay guys so Miami won't win. If Miami doesn't win, that means every other team wins, that's right, the other 29 teams get to split the championship.

15. supdudes

supdudes Member

I dun care I dun care.

The Heat is going to be reDONKEYlous this year. Haslem, Miller, maybe Bell, Barnes, and God knows who might just decide to play for chum change. I'm not sure if this is relevant with this thread's discussion, but I would rather have a league that overpays their stars so that each team only has one or two. I'm seriously contemplating calling them the Miami Cheat from now on...because what they are allowed to do is just...man...

This takes all of the fun out of watching basketball...people just don't understand the plain fact that real fans don't give a **** about the players as persons- We cheer for the team that we love, nothing more. I can understand why ppl would be upset, not just in Toronto or Cleveland, but everywhere else.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Uh, because your reasoning doesn't make sense. Say you're Shaq, right? LBJ and co. asks you to play for the minimum to win another ring. Minny comes up asks you to play for their team for double the minimum. 1 Million more to play for a lottery team, or a 1 million less to win another ring. Which team do you think Shaq will pick?

Look you have to apply common sense here. If the difference is just a few hundred grand why turn down the chance to party in south beach and be part of something special? Especially for vets like Shaq, they would already be taking a massive paycut to play in Miami, why will a couple hundred grand matter/million to him? If he's not gonna get a chance to win a ring then he'll sign for his market value which is significantly higher than the minimum he'll be making.

In your scenario, House will probably think its a tossup between the two, but it won't be because the Lakers are offering a couple hundred grand more, its because the Lakers are a powerhouse themselves and has a good chance of beating Miami anyway. On the other hand what you are proposing is EVERY OTHER TEAM will try to overpay scrubs, you think House will join Memphis if they offer just $150,000 more? For scrub clubs like Minny and Memphis, they would have to pay more than 10 times the amount just to get these FAs to consider signing with them and forego a chance to get a ring.

17. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Ok. Yeah, I had never heard him called that.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

You hit the nail on the head yang. Only one team gets a ring, why blow all your cap overpaying scrubs you don't really need just so the Heat loses and another team wins?

Is LBJ, Bosh and Wade teaming up so big an afront that once Miami loses everybody gets a trophy? Also how would you know the heat is targetting someone? Rumors are rumors. You spend 8 mill snagging Shaq, and the next day Miami signs Big Z for the min. What happens then?

19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

If Miami doesn't win it, that means the other 29 teams have a chance. I'm mostly speaking about the competing teams when I say this. Those teams only have a chance if some of them look to sign guys they can use like Shaq. If the Mavs want a backup SG, and the Heat want to sign Luther Head, they can offer Head more money, take care of that need while making sure the Heat don't get a good good deal on a player. It's win-win.

If the Heat want vets for cheap, make way over the hill guys like Michael Finley the option.

20. thething

thething Contributing Member

Thanks for the clarification. I thought they were trying to bring in Isiah Thomas.