1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charles barkley bark his opinion about lequit decision

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by got em COACH, Jul 9, 2010.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If Hakeem had his way, he would have been traded away from the Rockets a couple years before that season. Had he timed his free agency differently, maybe he would have gone to another team too.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I remember that drama well, and it was nothing like the LeBore mess we just witnessed. We really did need a major coaching change.

I was just stating the (amazing) facts in response to "one player can only do so much." Hakeem could really elevate his game, and an entire team, like few players I've ever witnessed. EDIT: and do so when it counted. Not like winning 66 games and going ghost in the playoffs.

#62 B-Bob, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  3. Stepping Razor

I'm no NBA player but I agree with LeBron's decision. You play the game to win a championship. I just don't agree on how he announced it on ESPN, and true, while the Cleveland franchise went out of their way to build around James, he didn't owe them another 6 years of the same "coming up short". Anyway, you only last so long in this league to begin with, thats including putting mileage on the body, injuries, deterioration (see McGrady). You play this game with a goal to be a champion, therefore you put yourself in a posistion to win it all when you can. Being teamed-up with two other stars is a good chance to obtain that goal. Hell, we got excited when Yao, McGrady, and Artest were together, I, as many, thought that it would work, and even though it didn't, you can't honestly tell me that some of you didn't think we were true contenders after that trade.

Plus, even though outside of the "Miami-Thrice" they will be surrounded by scrub like players, you better believe they will be active in surrounding that team with quality role players, not mentioning the free-agents that know they can get a ring if they sign (be it at a minimum or lesser salary [see McGrady again].

Bash him all you want but he left 30 million on the table to increase his chances of winning. I can respect that!

P.S. Can't wait to see Heat vs. Cavs in Cleveland :eek:

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

lebron doesn't become a ghost in the playoffs; his teammates do.

and you can see the teammates dream had. although i agree with you dream was one of the very few players (you can barely count on one hand) that can elevate their play in the playoffs, but cassell, max, horry... were great too.

look at what cassell did for other franchises when he left. he was mad clutch.

same with horry... those role players that we had were mad clutch.

now mo will and jamison. they pulled a ray allen.

5. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Barkley knows he partied/ate too much to win a championship.

KG said he stayed in Minny too long.

John Elway went to the Super Bowl 3 times before finally winning it .
    Terrel Davis won the second one by the way.

6. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Barkley is wrong, like usual.

LeBron did the right thing. He went to a team that can win now and in the future.

As far as being bigger than Jordan and building a brand, there's no chance. No one will ever be bigger than Jordan anyway, so why even try. And LeBron is not even close to Kobe's 5 rings, so LeBron has to start winning now.

7. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Too bad LeBron will never be in the same conversation as Kobe's 5 rings either. LeBron shows he cant be the "man." He needed the 3rd best player in the league as well as one of the best PF in the game.

8. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Winning championships is more important than building your legacy. You play the game to win as many games as possible. Isn't legacy just another way of saying "selfish focus on personal achievement?"

The fact that Lebron is willing to share the spotlight with two other superstars is a sign of his maturity and dedication to winning.

As a basketball fan, I'd much rather watch Lebron lead an all-star team against the Lakers than to watch him come up short every year in Ohio. Just think about all the epic games we'll get to see out of this awesome Miami trio.

Barkley is talking out of his ass. Basically he's saying he did the right thing because at least he tried and failed before joining other super stars. But isn't that just saying that it took Barkley a lot longer to be mature enough to think about winning before individual achievement?

9. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Kobe's team wasn't **** until they pulled a miracle trade for Pau, who at the time was a star playing in a small market. Just like Bosh.

I'm just saying, legacy ain't **** without a rings... he wasn't going to get any in Cleveland and it'd prolly take a couple years with the NYK; they ain't getting any younger, so might as well take less money and go for rings.

Winning takes care of everything, who cares about being in the same breath as MJ or Kobe. That team has the chance to become a dynasty.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was only angry that year before Charlie Thomas sold the team to Les.

I think he loved his teammates and notice the team was progressing very well.

Beating the Clippers and almost beating the Sonics set forth the action known as Clutch City, a powerful force that would will send ripples through the universe. Heroes were made and the city was transformed.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Barkley was in great shape with Phoenix.

KG stayed too long ie.. Sprewell and Cassell left.

Elway ran into Joe Montana

12. Prince

Prince Member

My god, sir charles is sooooooooooooooooooo right!!!

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Barkley is the man... He gets it.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

On this particular subject :p

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

mmmmmmmmKay! :confused:

The reality . . .TO ME . .is that LeBron went from conversations about
    being like MJ and Kobe
    to
    being like Horry and Fisher

From leading teams to championships
    to being a significant contributor on championship teams

Rocket River

16. t_mac1

that is literally the dumbest comment i've seen.

even if lebron is a "significant" contributor, you're comparing him to horry and fisher?

what shooting spot up 3s?

sometimes i wonder if people who post comments like this even understand basketball.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you people are just stupid

18. t_mac1

he's already better than kobe the past 2 years.

lebron is still the best player on a team with wade and bosh. he's still the main man. wade and bosh are the sidekicks (but great sidekicks).

19. OvenproofBadger

I love Charles. He is a funny analyst, probably the funniest sports analyst there is. But he got the serious side too, and makes some very valid points. 100% agree with everything he is saying here

20. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

In regular season maybe. True, Kobe couldn't win without Shaq or Gasol, the latter was never even an all NBA team player before joining Lakers.

And LeBron needs two top players just to have some confidence. LOL