1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's Yao biggeeeest weakneeeeess?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gotoloveit2, Aug 30, 2002.

1. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

I still think his biggeeeeest weakneeeess is getting into foul trouble and that is expected. For someone his size, as a rookie, and expected to be a shot blockers etc.. He'll get into foul trouble quite often in NBA, at least early in the season. Remember he got into foul trouble quite earlier in the game at last Olympic. He was a nonfactor in that game too. I know he was only 19, and he has improved a lot since then. But I just want to emphasize this aspect of his game that need extra attention during his transition into the NBA. NBA players r much more agile and physical, we all know that. It'll get him into foul trouble much easier. His relatively narrow shoulder is also a factor. That is also one of the reasons why his shots r not totally unblockable. He needs to learn to use his body and weight to play defense, not just the arms and hands which r more easy to get him into foul trouble. Positioning is the best way to play defense. Rodman is no jumper, but he knows how to box out, albeit, playing dirty often. By the way, the correct spelling for "biggest weakness" is biggeeeeeeeest weakneeeeeeeess. :D

2. mav3434

mav3434 Member

The Chinese national team. I never watched them play before last night, man those guards are as bad as everybody says. THey're like having moochie norris, but at least moochie can dribble.

3. gotoloveit2

Forget about the Chinese NT, the players and the coach. There is nothing we can do or suggest them to do about it. Yao will a ROX. Let talk about something that our coaching staff can do to improve his games.

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Most NBA rooks don't get enough minutes to get into foul trouble. :)

IMHO, Yao just needs some experience... some time to develop.

5. gotoloveit2

That's exactly my points. It wasnt like Yao got into foul trouble only near the end of the game. If a player plays tight defense through out the game, picking up fouls r bound to happen and that's ok. It means your players r playing hard, giving away no easy baskets. But getting early foul trouble is a problem. Yao did have that happened to him not infrequently. Experience will improve all aspects of his game, that goes without saying. I just think the ROX coaching staff needs to concentrate on that particular weakness in Yao's games.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

gotoloveit2 -

Your logic is a little too granular..too refined. You can't just isolate one aspect of a players game...especially after one "off" game and emphasize that as a major weakness.

There are a great many things that can contribute to Yao Ming being less foul prone. Beyond experience and maturity there is conditioning, footwork, understanding your role in the teams defense, your teammates not getting beat by whom they're guarding and funneling that player to the shot blocker when they do get beat.

If you watched the game against Germany, you surely observed that the Chinese NT does not play very good team defense. With the exception of the very first foul against Femmerling, Yao's remaining fouls were either cheap (the second against Femmerling) or against someone other than who he was guarding (the Dirk charge).

Using the same extreme logic your are using, I will say that Yao's biggest weakness will be adjusting to American culture and and an 82 game NBA season. IMHO, Yao Ming's game doesn't have a major weakness which experience can not address.

#26 GATER, Aug 30, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2002
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not being signed.

8. gotoloveit2

I guess you meant "more" foul prone. Whatever u have said in your last post, I pretty much agree. My comments r based on, not just last game, but on a number of video clips that I have seen, including his CBA games. I never said staying off foul trouble is the only thing Yao needs to concentrate on. All the thing you said will need to be improved, so he wont get into foul trouble. And the rest of his games will also definitely improve. He cant contribute if he's not in the game. Foul trouble prone is only the common denominator/flaw that could be improved with the different means that u have mentioned in your last post.

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Inexperience, Good Coaching and a Strength Coach.He will get these when he comes home to us (Rox).

10. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

His biggest weakness is poor conditioning. He will have a hard time to keep up the NBA pace in the first couple of years.

His other weakness is his post offense. He needs to work on how to get good post position.

Foul will not be a problem for Ming. He is a smart player, and he has never had foul problem in the CBA before.

His half-court defense will not be a problem. His height will create problem for whoever he will guard; his lower body strength will enable him to hold ground against most of NBA low post players; and he is more moble than 90% of NBA centers.

11. aznlincolnpark

HIs biggest weakness is his upper body :D