1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sign Byron Russell?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Summer Song Giver, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Summer Song Giver

He would be an upgrade over Torres and a great role player if we could sign him.

2. TCDREAM

TCDREAM Member

i totally agree, right now it looks like anything would be an upgrade over torres

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That is the guy I've wanted all along. He plays defense at 2 positions. He has a good shooting touch and he has had big game, playoff experience. Plus, he wouldn't have to have minutes or numbers. That is the guy I've thought would be the best fit here all summer even better than Lewis.

4. Summer Song Giver

All things considered, price and what the Rox need Russell is a much better fit than Lewis.

5. TCDREAM

TCDREAM Member

Now all we need is someone to let ole rudy t on this little bit of advice.

6. Summer Song Giver

HA, like he doesn't frequent this site.... puhleaze:rolleyes:

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Agree all the way assuming a Lewis deal can't be made w/o EG involved (e.g., Mo or KT + Nachbar when eligible to be traded would be as much as I offer). I still think Lewis is too young of a talent not to keep negotiating.

If we got Russell we have our starting SF in all probability. Then Nachbar feels less pressure as a rookie and we don't have to count on Rice's feet to be able to handle heavy minutes. The fact he can be a big back-up 2 guard is an extra bonus.

I think the only reason we wouldn't go for Russell is if Lewis is still a possibility or Rudy and Co think KT or EG can be very effective SFs. Do people think KT or EG is slotted for starter like minutes at the 3?

8. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Does anyone here remember Shandon Anderson?

Just kidding, sorta ;) . What do we have to give up to get him?

9. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

He is a good addition to the rosters and what experience he can share. Definitely a good pick!!

10. RedRock

RedRock Member

Money...he's an unrestricted free agent. I'd give him the MCE or close to it. He'd be a good fit for this team. I don't see him as another Shandon

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Even though he does have big game, playoff experience, I do see him as another Shandon. The only way I'd try and get him is as a last resort.

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

But, isn't that essentially what we need? Russell has been more of a big-game player and is more accurate from three point range. Although their career stats are similar...

Anderson: 8 PPG, 3 RPG, 2 APG, 1 SPG, 47% FG, 32% 3PT, 73% FT
    Russell: 9PPG, 4 RPG, 1 APG, 1 SPG, 44% FG, 37% 3PT, 75% FT

...the key is that Russell has shot 37% for his career from downtown and has shot 40% or better from there in at least three separate seasons. He scores more in the playoffs and has a tendency to hit the big shot.

For my money, he could be a short version of Robert Horry AND he'll very likely play for the MCE.

My assertion has been that our biggest need is a back-up swing man to pay the 2/3 - a Mario Elie type who has some veteran experience, can play D and has SOME offensive game. Russell fits that bill pretty much to a T.

13. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

I like Russel as well but I read that WAS and Utah are trying to work out a S&T involving one of the Wizard point guards. I also heard that he might consider taking a one year deal for the vet minimum. If the Rox want him they had better hustle.

14. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I would be pretty ecstatic if we could get Russel. We'd have a pretty good roster with good depth, as well. I just hope he doesn't bring the Jazz curse with him. (You know, the 0 rings. :D )

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

If we can't get Lewis to take the MCE I say go for it.

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Are the Rockets even pursuing him, he would be a great pick-up. And if something happened to Rice he could slip in and start at SF for a little bit, he's versatile.