1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marc Stein] Possible multiple team deal bringing Tyson Chandler to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mollamar, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

People often forget that expirings are pretty useless to a team who is going to lose a free agent. In this case, Melo's contract is also an expiring. So the only reason Denver would trade Melo's expiring for Chandler + Battier is if Denver wanted to have a chance to recruit / resign Chander or Battier under their traded bird rights. That said, bird rights may not exist in the next CBA.

So I don't think you can turn this into Melo. I think you could turn it into a someone playing on a long contract with whom their team has buyers remorse a la Monte Ellis. Not that we want Ellis, but someone on that kind of contract.

2. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Because they are not Gay York

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Seriously? TYSON CHANDLER? He completely changes the makeup of this team alright, it will suck even more. But hey, if it's big stiff players that floats your boat, then why not go after Eric Dampier? That's $13M of can't play center in an expiring contract just sitting out there.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Meteor : Actual Raptor :: Colangelo : Toronto Raptors

1 person likes this.
  5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Low Risk (expiring) - Check
    Possible High Reward (good player playing on a contract year) - Check
    Better Trade Assets - Check

Sounds like Morey.

I just hope that Lowry's "Gone" is not involved in this.

6. tested911

tested911 Member

Let's consider the big names that are left in the future free agent market or trade scenarios because of rumors..

Carmelo, CP3, AK 47, David West, Carl Landry, Yao Ming, Danny Granger, ?

7. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I like it!!!

great back-up athletic 7'0 to run with the 2nd unit! :eek:

--RB

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think we should do it just so that Lebron makes the lowest salary of the Miami triumverate.

As for Toronto's reluctance, I think that's just posturing for a better deal. It's likely that Miami actually doesn't have anything to make it worthwhile, but if a third team could pony up enough, of couse they'd be willing to do the deal.

I bet Miami is reluctant to give up their draft picks in a sign-and-trade, since they need those to rebuild their bench.

9. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

I would love the idea of having Chandler here by only giving up Jeffries and possibly Andersen. The only thing that's bugging me is that Morey rarely does the deal that has been blogged about or there is an article about. Possible smokescreen? I hope not.

10. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

not sure if this has been posted yet. but if miami is going to get lebron, it wouldnt be because of this side deal. yeah this deal makes it more attractive to those involved, but realistically, his mind is already probably made up.

Theres still a chance he does not goto Miami. So what if we do this trade, and then LBJ announces that he's staying in Cleveland. Is that a possibility?

11. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I doubt people think Chandler is a world beater. He is however, capable of being a back up center which we kind of need badly, and if you can get him in exchange for just Jared Jeffries (especially since we really don't need Jeffries with Patterson showing up), then you do it. I mean, what the eff do you think we can get with just Jeffries?

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i think you are being a bit over critical. How can he make the team worse when what is being given up for him did next to nothing for the team?

what does chandler bring? legit Center size and a rebounding/shotblocking machine.

what did the rockets lack last year? legit center size, rebounding and shotblocking.

The contract is expiring so you dont have to worry about any long term issues. You played without him last year so even if he gets hurt, you aren't "relying" on him.

13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Come on man, really?

Our backup center is David Andersen... it doesn't get much stiffer and suckier than that. And even though Chandler isn't much better than Andersen, his expiring contract makes him extremely valuable.

If you have a chance to get Chandler for Jeffries... you take it. That's all there is to it.

14. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

havent posted in a while but i'm all for the move. if he's healthy, (i long for the day that i wont have to preface this every single rockets season), chandler is a good asset to the team. since yao's back, we can keep some of that transition game we had last year with chandler at the 5.

15. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Can confirm @STEIN_LINE_HQ report. 4_tm. Trade in was. Rox, Heat in. Raptors wavering. Could be posturing. Chandler to Hou. #hounews

Uh make that trade in works. Teams not confident will pull it off. #hounews

http://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Can't agree with you any more! I just like the idea of having a servicable big who can actually spell Yao esp. coming off a year off.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

So long as its the likes of Jeffries getting moved, no picks, not a guy like Hill, it's a very smart move.

18. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Hearing Miami is close to completing a three-team deal to move Michael Beasley and get a trade exception back to open up more cap space.

http://twitter.com/alanhahn

19. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Wow, a real back up center. First since Deke. I am excited if this happens.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Have you even seen him attempt to play center? He is worse than awful. In fact, he makes Dampier look like positively Hakeemlike and Damp also has a $13M expiring contract. I'd take Brad Miller over him any day and I think Miller is a joke as well. You might as well resurrect Shawn Bradley - that way you can laugh along with everyone else. And wasn't it Morey "The Genius" who went and got Andersen and then pretended last season that he, too, was a legit option at center?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.