1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scola - Sign and Trade Misconceptions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by foo82, Jul 4, 2010.

1. foo82

foo82 Member

Ok. This needs to be cleared up now. I see people saying we should package Scola with so and so for Bosh.

Here's the problem. He's a FREE AGENT. Which means that he would have to agree to a sign-and-trade just like Bosh. This means a few things, first that Scola would agree to the trade, and second, that he would have to be paid enough to agree to the trade. There's a problem with that. I do not see Toronto willing to pay that much for a player they don't need. They already have Bargnani, and are more likely to look for a defensive minded rebounding pf.

They are not going to want a 30 yr old unathletic pf that is more suited to contending teams. Not to mention they just locked up Amir Johnson and drafted Ed Davis. They want young pf with a high ceiling (such as Hill).

Just because we value Scola a lot does not mean Toronto will. If we are going to trade Scola, most likely a third team has to be involved.

2. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

he doesn't have to agree to the trade, as he is a restricted FA. we can match any offers he get and keep him if we want.

3. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

Checking for validation...brb....somebody is gonna get "OWNED"

4. jedicro

jedicro Member

Yes he does. If we match an offer he has to agree to a trade if we want to send him out. I forget how long we have to wait after signing him for him to become eligible for trade again. Like 90 days or the start of the season I think.

Either way I see no situation where Scola goes to Toronto. Why would he want to go there and why would they want him.

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

The post is about sign and trade not about keeping him. Yes, matching offers allows the Rockets to keep him.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think it's December 30 which would be about 90 days. But yeah, a sign and trade has to happen at the same time. We can't sign Scola or match an offer and then include him in a deal a day or two later.

7. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

yea you're right, I remember that little 90 day situation

8. foo82

foo82 Member

Any more questions?

9. mmchampionship

I agree with you,if Toronto wants to rebuild,the don't need Scola.

10. BetterThanEver

It's 1 year. The ROFR in the CBA refers to the home team(Right of First Refusal).
    Section 5g of Article XI of the CBA

http://www.nbpa.org/sites/default/files/ARTICLE XI.pdf

11. BetterThanEver

The trade limits are longer for restricted free agents than signing another team's free agent and trading it.

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Toronto is a international market which could appeal to Scola and Toronto seem's to have a liking for international talent, so I think they would welcome a former FIBA championship MVP in Luis Scola .... ;)

--RB

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yep he seems like a perfect fit. I think Toronto would be ok with swapping Hedo for Scola.

14. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Rockets will not accept Hedo and sign and trade Scolla unless the Raps are willing to let us trade every end of the bench players on the team (Andersen, Hayes, Jeffries, A. Johnson, Mike Harris, Jordan Hill and allow us to keep draft picks and Lull/Patterson.

Bosh is as good as gone from the RAptors, so in their best interests, they need to get something for him, but if they try to include Hedo in the deal, I think they need to start making reparations to the team they trade Bosh too. Hedo's contract is an albatross, that Toronto was foolish enough to sign him too. Let that sink in a while. Hedo was not traded as part of some deal where salary had to be added, Toronto flat out overpaid him and he had a garbage year. Toronto would need to spice up this deal if we were to save them from their screwup.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

this thread isn't going to stop any comments...instead of saying "trade scola for ...", they'll just say " if scola agrees then we can trade him for".....

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Maybe taking on Hedo is what will be needed to get the deal done. Toronto would reject any deal with Chicago and would force Bosh to choose the Rockets. Morey has made it clear that he is willing to take on more salary.

It would def make more sense if both Ariza and Battier are included in the package. We would have our new starting SF. Someone that Adelman is familiar with ;)

17. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Meh, it's obvious that Scola wouldn't be the BIG chip to the trade. Guys like Jordan Hill, Trevor Ariza, Aaron Brooks, and 1st round draft picks (especially Knicks picks) are much more important to a team like Toronto right now.

But if the Raptors had any sense in their brain, they'd have no problem bringing in Scola. He brings a team tremendous heart, toughness, and hustle. Considering the Raptors were lacking in those areas last season, he can be an important piece to their rebuilding stage.

Obviously, they probably wouldn't want to sign him for longer than 2-3 years, but it might be something they are willing to take on.

18. foo82

foo82 Member

Why would they take them? They aren't in win now mode, they are rebuilding. They locked up Amir johnson, drafted Ed Davis. They also have Amir, Bargnani, and recently Dorsey. So you think they would be signing another big in Scola at 8-10 mil? Remember the contract has to be big or long enough for Scola to even consider joining the trade. THey are not going to sign a veteran for 2-3 years when they aren't even in playoff contention.

You also consider Jeffries or Hill they might get back and taking Scola would make very little sense.

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I have no idea if Toronto wants Scola but I can tell you why they might be:

Colangelo loves international players and he desperately needs post up scoring. Yes he has Bargnani, Davis and Johnson and none of them have a post up game.

20. foo82

foo82 Member

And here we go in circles. Why would Scola want to go to Toronto? Only thing that can convince him is money, and you think they would pay tons of money for a veteran, non-all star pf, on a team that's rebuilding? It doesn't matter if Coangelo likes international players, they have no need for Scola for that amount of money. If he was making 3 mil, they would take him in a heartbeat, but not at 10mil which is what I think it would take for Scola to agree to sign and trade to Toronto. He has no other incentive to go to a losing team in the east but money.