1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Broussard: Houston has a very good chance at Bosh

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jzmagic, Jul 3, 2010.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

where is the D in the paint? Unless Yao is done not a chance!

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

That analysis actually makes sense to me. Wade had stated before that he didn't like how Jerry Krause/Reinsdorf handled the Jordan stuff, so to me it was surprising that he would engage them so readily on the topic of moving to play for them.

I could definitely see Bosh and Wade just playing Chicago as added drama for their documentaries, and if that happens it means:

1. Wade and Bosh are real jerks for doing so,

and

2. The Rockets have no chance, we had no chance in the first place. It's going to be Bosh with Wade in Miami and Lebron can do whatever he wants and it won't change that.

It's a real possibility and I sincerely hope they're not that low, to have been in Pat Riley's pocket this whole time while courting other teams. I can only take solace in the fact that Bosh+Wade+Beasley+Chalmers is still probably not enough to be a top 3 seed in the East, much less able to contend for a championship. Yes they would still have ~11M available to get other FA's but that's not gonna help you much when no other contending team is bound by the cap like that.

3. Rocketfanatic2

My bad guys, that link might not work, here's the link for the video.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5352829

While I'm at it, here's the video again.

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=5352829"/></object>

Skip to 1:50 remaining to hear Broussard's statements on Bosh. Interesting to see him claim that Bosh is still filming for a documentary, while Bosh denied the claim on his twitter account, i've been told. The drama just keeps on building.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

After reading this I feel a bit better about Wade allowing Chicago to court him:

LINK

I sincerely want to believe that Wade and Bosh are not jerks who just use other people for their own ends, especially when that end involves Pat Riley and a self-serving "documentary" about how many powerful people you can get to kowtow to you.

5. Coca Cola Scola

Bosh wouldn't be the first option here either. But, it doesn't present him the chance to play in a combo that can match the size of the Lakers. There's room for more than one Alpha on a team...it's just their mind set. Personally, I think Bosh's game meshes wells with Yao's. Bosh has more of a face up game and wants to play the power forward position. Yao and Bosh would have an advantage over any center/power forward combo every night. How many teams in the league have two max all-star power forward/center combo?

Another thing that Bosh should consider is the Morey factor. Morey will continue to make bold moves to infuse talent into this team. Who's to say that after he signs here, Morey doesn't have another set of moves in his backpocket to bring some star, rising star or major super role player or two. I'd hate to lose that Knick pick though....who knows how high that pick is if the Knicks end up losing out in the free agent sweepstakes.

6. Coca Cola Scola

I think they are all just enjoying the free agent process and delighting in the possibilities for their futures...kind of like when you take tours for your future college. Even if you have one team in your heart, you'd still consider others just to make sure that decision is right. I think the fact that Lebron has all those meetings in Cleveland speaks volumes. He's not even travelling out of his city and if he ultimately stays in Cleveland he can say that his heart was always in Cleveland and he never really went to check out the other cities. As for Wade, I think he's seriously considering Chicago in case Miami doesn't land him another star and a good supporting cast. That team is stripped. He'd basically be playing with Micahel Beasley and Mario Chalmers.

7. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I don't believe what anybody's saying anymore. I'm waiting for someone to actually SIGN something.

8. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

He's coming here. Almost $30 million reasons why... playing with LeBron, Wade blah blah blah, all about the money, and he'll get the most here.

And whoever is worried about losing Scola, Battier, Ariza, Hill, Knicks picks is nuts. Bosh is a top 10 (probably top 5) player in the league right now. You get the chance to get him those players are expendable!

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

You can bet your bottom beeyatch that the reason Bosh hasn't made a decision is because LeBron hasn't made a decision. The day LeBron decides is the day we figure out if we really have a chance with Bosh or not...

10. Raven

Raven Member

Yup. Between Bosh, Wade, and LeChoke, it's become increasingly obvious who wears the spurs and who wears the saddle.

11. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Regarding the picks, I doubt Morey is in a hurry to include them in any Bosh deal. Reason being, if NY strikes out on major free agents, they will be in the lottery again next year and the worse their record is, the more opportunities they will have to get a better pick. Remember, next years NY pick, we have the option of swapping, so long as it's not the #1 pick.

The 2012 pick is top 5 protected.

Barring NY picking up any good FA and barring any surprises in the draft lottery, our best case scenario would be a #2 pick next year and a #5 the year after. Remember, Chris Bosh was picked with the #4 pick in 2003. Conceivably, we could end up with 2 players the quality of Chris Bosh.

I think Morey is lowballing Toronto right now with a deal that includes Hill, Jeffries, Andersen, and Hayes while possibly including one of the picks and/or Lull. Toronto isn't down with that. I think they want to play Bargnani at PF, so Hill would be a backup. Also, Jeffries, Andersen, and Hayes are not starters and so do not improve Toronto at all. If Toronto is insisting instead on Hill, Battier and Ariza, then you can bet Morey will not include any of the picks b/c that deal right there would take away a starter and 2 backups who are projected to play a lot.

12. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

A few tidbits

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/22983172

LeBron, Wade, Bosh not ready for decision
    Posted on: July 4, 2010 12:26 amScore: 228Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate:

For those who want a quick resolution after the 72-hour whirlwind recruiting of the Big Three free agents, you'll be disappointed. Evidently exhausted from being courted non-stop since midnight Thursday, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh ... well, on the fourth day, they rested.

Henry Thomas, who represents Wade and Bosh, said Saturday night his clients weren't ready to make a decision and were "processing all of the information they've received over the last two days. They're taking a step back and evaluating it. That's it."

Similarly, two team executives involved in the recruiting of LeBron were under the same impression -- with one saying the King's decision could come "early next week," while another was under the impression there was "no timeline." Two more executives had not been given a timetable by any of the Big Three, nor had they heard back on the possibility of a follow-up meeting to close the deal.

Welcome to the Summer of 2010, where hurry up and wait is the motto.

Wade and Bosh finished their pitch sessions Friday night, when both met with the Bulls. Saturday was the main event, with the Bulls and hometown Cavs having an audience with LeBron amid a surreal scene in downtown Cleveland. One of the executives involved in the recruiting process over the past few days described it this way: Now is when the emotion of the process and the glitz of the presentations fade and reality sets in. Reality, and the known vs. the unknown. And the executive came away with the distinct impression that Wade is staying in Miami, LeBron is staying in Cleveland, and Bosh -- left out to dry in such a scenario -- would then be far more interested in the extra $25-$30 million the Raptors can offer him than he's been for the past 72 hours.

"All these guys know where they're going to go," a person with close ties to one of the players involved in the process said. "This whole thing has just been a spectacle."

Nonetheless, the process marches on. All five teams regarded as having realistic shots at landing/keeping at least one of the top free agents when the negotiating period began -- the Cavs, Bulls, Heat, Knicks and Nets -- continue to put on the full-court press in trying to secure commitments from complementary players. The Bulls and Heat have talked with Carlos Boozer and David Lee, among others; the Knicks have reached a "broad agreement" with Amar'e Stoudemire on either complementing or replacing one of the top-tier free agents and continue to pursue Joe Johnson and Mike Miller; the Nets continue to tell people they have a real shot at landing one of their top targets. The Cavs are pursuing Bulls free-agent center Brad Miller as an added inducement for LeBron.

And on we go. With so many moving parts, one executive involved in the process was dubious that the July 4 holiday Sunday would bring any more clarity.

What the beginning of the holiday weekend did bring, however, was closure to the over-the-top pitch process. According to details of the six presentations LeBron witnessed in Cleveland from Thursday to Saturday, each team had its moments. How much of it resonates with James as he huddles with his advisers over the next couple of days remains to be seen.

The Cavs, who know James better than any of the teams courting him, floored him Saturday with an emotional highlight video starting with his state championship days at Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary's High School, progressing through his selection by the Cavs as the No. 1 pick in the draft, and sprinkled with interviews with fans begging him to stay. Several images of James' mother, Gloria, were strategically included, as the Cavs know James would be hard-pressed to leave his mother behind in Ohio as a consequence of signing with another team.

But the important moments in James' sitdown with the team he's played with for seven seasons came when new coach Byron Scott had the floor, explaining to James his defensive-minded style, desire to push the tempo offensively, and emphasis on tireless work and practice time. In fact, people familiar with James' priorities believe the one-on-one time he spent with coaches over the past few days -- Mike D'Antoni of the Knicks, Tom Thibodeau of the Bulls, Avery Johnson of the Nets, Erik Spoelstra (and by extension, Pat Riley) of the Heat, and Scott -- will resonate with him as much as any other basketball factor. The Clippers, who haven't hired a coach yet, were the only team to court James without one.

The Knicks, still viewed by some insiders as having a puncher's chance if James is able to come to grips with leaving his hometown, included a flashy video, too. And they did their homework, producing a film playing off James' adoration of The Sopranos, as detailed by columnist Ian O'Connor of ESPN-New York. But as with the Cavs' presentation, a person familiar with the Knicks' approach said the most important segment came when Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan, GM Donnie Walsh and other executives left the room and turned the floor over to D'Antoni. It was only James and D'Antoni in the room as the Knicks' coach passionately detailed how effective James would be in his up-tempo, pick-and-roll system as a Magic Johnson-like floor leader whose breadth of talents would be emphasized with the Knicks more than with any other team courting him.

How much will it all matter? Which way is LeBron really leaning? The next 72 hours will be far more important than the past 72 when it comes to answer those questions.

If this is the case, its looking better and better for the good guys.

13. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

This is where compromise should come in. Send them Hill, Battier, Jeffries, one of the Knicks picks, our own first round pick, cash for Battier's buyout, and Sergio Llull for Bosh.

14. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Wow.. espn just said that ALL FA pitches are OVER (rockets didn't get a meeting other than that 20 min 'chat')...

Also just said that Toronto said they WILL NOT do a sign and trade.. doesn't make sense why not.

15. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think if the Rockets really felt they had a chance, we would have heard more from DMorey.....its not like him to be quiet this long is it?

16. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Come on Chris!!!! Sign with us. Not only will you get your MAX deal. You'll also get a chance to live out YOUR OWN legacy through Houston. That and think of the extra MULAS as an international super star. All the china's endorsement deals. No need to make stupid video asking the fans to vote you in the Nba all star game.

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

If Feigen is right and we are out of it then Morey is already on plan B or C, I say we hear something tomorrow or Monday from Bosh or Morey.

18. PeppermintCandy

I think Morey's playing it the right way. The Rockets are the alternate plan for Bosh when all other options fall through, and it's best not to make noise or clamor for attention at this point.

Just keep quiet in public, but make sure Bosh's agent and Raptors know the Rockets are still a viable (and best) sign-and-trade option. And then... swoop down and take the prize when opportunity strikes.

19. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

From Morey's previous moves, I don't think he's the type to blurt out his methods of negotiation. He will shock us one way or the other. You can count on that... :cool:

20. arjun

arjun Member

Guys I HIGHLY thiink that the LEAST of Morey's concerns are informing the Rockets fans of what the status is on our free agency...he knows what he is doing and isn't one of those GMs that will just blabber whatever just so they dont get any heat from fans. CALM DOWN, MOREY HAS IT UNDER CONTROL AND THERE IS NO REASON FOR HIM TO TELL US WHAT HES THINKING BECAUSE IT DOES NOTHING GOOD FOR HIM OR THE ROCKETS