1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If everything works out, who can match up with the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Valio!, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Valio!

Valio! Member

In a best case scenario (and still being somewhat realistic) where Ming meets expectations; Francis is healthy; Griffin is bigger and has a better inside game; Taylor is healthy and fit; Rice's knee is good; Cuttino remains healthy; Nachbar turns out to be a quick running, slam dunking fiend....Who can match up???

Sure, chemistry will take a little time, but this is one talented team! If Ming is even remotely effective against shaq, the Rockets are more skilled than the Lakers in my opinion. Maybe only the Kings would have as much talent. In fact, if ming turns out to be pretty good, just having an effective big man already puts us (and excuse the following pun) heads and shoulders above about 80 percent of the teams out there.

But seriously, this team, once they get used to each other could be one of the best out there. What else would the Rockets need besides experience??

2. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Yes, it is a good team. But alot of things have to work out right. History has assembled alot of great teams only to see someone get injured, the chemistry not happen, or someone demand a trade or not resign. Let's keep our finger's crossed. I think this team has three players who should have been or were number one picks in Ming, Francis, and Griffin.

3. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Er Valio, teams that can match-up against us would be everyone in the West that made the playoffs last year + Clips. We were an unhealthy and still-underachieving to be sure, but 1) what are you talking about in terms of Yao "meeting expectations"? His size and skill level are going to help the Rockets immensely this season, but no one in their right ming (sorry mind) can believe he will be able to do anything with Shaq this year. 2) We couldn't play defense at a Div. 1 level last year, and I haven't seen anything to suggest that Boki won't be a huge defensive liability at least initially. 3) Griffin should be a junior in college and he won't even get enough PT to put up Kobe's 3rd year numbers. And 4) Yao's long adjustment period is going to to make Steve and Cat very hesitant to buy into any schemes that Rudy feels are best for the long haul of any NBA season. I am being ridiculously optimistic to think the Rockets might be able to be the 6 seed in the West if everything breaks right. That will probably take 50+ wins. A lot of chemistry goes into 50+ wins. If Yao is half of what we hope he can be this season it's gonna be a hell of an adjustment for everyone. And we are a very "tight" team at our core. Yao can just be here and make waves. And I'm not knocking Steve or Cat, they're now saying all the right things and I love those guys, but this season, the Yao hype and some success is going to play with their heads. I'm glad Rudy is as happy as I am, but he's going to have to be really tough this year, very hard to do now in the NBA. Oh, yeah the Nets, Celtics and Pistons look to have a lot better season than us too.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

there are some interesting young teams that should provide some good rivalries if they live up to there potential.

Rockets line up:
    Ming
    Griffin
    Boki
    Cat
    Wink

Bulls line up:
    Curry
    Chandler (7'2" and still growing? Ralph Sampson anyone?)
    Eddie Robinson
    Rose
    Jay Williams

Clippers
    Kandi
    Brand
    Odom
    Meggett?
    Miller

Grizzlies
    Pau Gasol (7'1" and very aggressive in the paint regardless of his weight)
    Drew Gooden
    Shane Battier
    Micheal Dickerson
    Jason Williams

Nuggets
    Halario
    Camby
    Skita
    ?
    ?

Suns
    Jake Tsakalidas
    Amare Stoudemire
    Shawn Marion
    Joe Johnson
    Stephon Marburry

These are the teams that I think have the ingredients to have very good front courts in the with in the next 3 years. I think the Rockets, Grizzlies and Clippers all have a chance to have very good front courts next year. I think these are the teams that are going to help restore respectability to the center position.

LAL has given us a good lesson on what happens when a team with a dominant front court goes up against a team with out a good front court. The only team in the NBA that challenged the Lakers were the Kings which also happens to be the only other team with a dominant front court. When I say dominant front court I am not talking about a team with Kevin Garnett and no one else. I am talking about a team that has a Divac, Webber and Peja. The Kings can rebound, score and play defense all in the paint. Only the Lakers have a one-man front court with Shaq.

Sure some of those teams will not pan out like the Nuggets who might not be able to find a backcourt to go with their front court. On the other hand some players may never live up to their potential.

Players that may not have the potential of the rest:
    Tsakalidas
    Camby
    Kandi

If I am a gm of one of those teams I would be very protective of my front court players and would give them every opportunity to mature.

5. swt939

swt939 Member

...regarding the Clips, dont forget Richardson and Dooling.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Not trying to forget them but I was really concentrating on the front court.

7. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Young teams with great outlooks:

Rockets,perhaps best outlook of all with 1,maybe 2 or 3 franchise players and great depth across the board.

Clippers,solid down the line with 2 franchise types,not as much depth(exp) and there's always the question of whether Sterling will pony up or disassemble this nice collection.

Bulls,good talent that still needs a couple of pieces and depth. The big questions are whether the kids up front fulfill their potential and if they do,will Jalen still be around or effective enough?

Of the three,I'll bet on the Rockets(duh!). Seriously. They have enough experience to bring along Griff,Yao,and Boki without those 3 having to dominate night in,night out. That is,until they're ready to do so. Rudy,CD and staff plus the franchise in general give them a big edge because they have a proven track record. The Clips could be right there as well but Sterling is still a huge MINUS to their outlook until he proves otherwise and the Bulls are still farther away than the other two.

8. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Franncis, Mobley, Ming, Mo, Kenny, and Rice. Dang that's one heck of a team. All the people on that list are solid players.

9. JamesC

JamesC Member

If all goes according to plan for the Rockets I see a hell of a rivalry with the Mavs and Kings. I'd like to see a playoff series between the Rockets and Mavs. That would be off the hook.

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

No one....
    Go Rockets!!

11. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

For 2002-03, 50 wins, #6 seed in the West would be sweet - I'd go for that. I also think that in 2-3 years, assuming this team stays together, we should be aiming much higher.

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

The key to keeping the team together is 1) winning and 2) egos.

Granted w ehave alot of potential (Stevie, Cato, Yao, Eddie) but I guarantee if we don't win 50 games next year (and make the playoffs) that people will start complaining. Think about the 3 J's in Dallas. THat was slot of potential but they were all young and got frustrated by losing (and stealing women too).

Also alot of good teams breakup just as they are peaking because someone thinks it should be there team. I'm not arguing wheter it will be Mings, Stevies, Eddies or Cats team but even if we are winning the other guys have to know their roles (like Pip did with MJ or what Magic did for Kareem). Magic took a back seat to Kareem and told everyone around it was Kareem's team until Kareem could not lead anymore.
    Another example is some of the rifts in the past between Kobe and Shaq. I still wouldn't be surprised for Kobe to ask for a trade at some point, just because of ego.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

. . . and money. Someone gets greedy . . . not enough cap room . . . luxury tax . . . max contract demand . . .:(

In a perfect world where players just play for their love of the game and be absolutely loyal to their teammates, this team can play together for a long time and win many rings. But . . .

14. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Damn you are a good organized poster Crash. I like your breakdowns.

And I am glad you went ahead and left Richardson and Dooling off the clipps. To use a quote from Shakespear "They doth sucketh."

15. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

I agree that chemistry is important, but so is attitude. The Rockets are very lucky to have drafted two players with great attitudes. Ming and Boki have excellent attitudes and i am rooting for them to do very well. There attitude just might help the team game too.

:D :D :D :D :D