1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Al Jefferson has requested a trade from the Wolves

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RockyChamp, Jul 1, 2010.

1. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

2. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

PG: Lowry/Filler - Brooks gone in trade
    SG: Martin/Taylor - Bud gone in trade
    SF: Battier/Ariza/filler -either Battier or Ariza gone in trade
    PF: Bosh/Scola/Patterson
    C: Yao/Jefferson/Hayes

That's a pretty damn deep team too... very possible to make this happen. Give Yao about 20-25 mins/game and give Al Jefferson about 20-25 mins/game. You got a front court where they all can put up 20+ points/game, grab 10+ rebounds/game, get 1.5blks/game. You've got a capable front court with Martin and Lowry.

C'mon Morey..pull the trigger! MAKE IT HAPPEN!

3. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

fixed

4. accougar

accougar Member

I agree with you that Jefferson would play a great deal of PF. I think you would have a really nice three man rotation between scola/jefferson/yao. With 96 minutes to be had every night at the 4 and the 5 spots you could keep each player closer to 30 minutes a piece with hayes being substituted for defensive purposes and spot duty and Patterson being brought along slowly in his rookie year; similar to the way Landry was brought along.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

If you ask me, Jefferson is far more effective on the block and has a weaker midrange game while Yao is effective pretty much anywhere as long as teams aren't fronting him. When teams front him you need a PF who can step out and stretch defenses to make it harder for them to sandwich Yao. Luis Scola(and Bosh for that matter) is perfect for that. Jefferson would NOT be. It's not Big Al's fault - you were right, his game is really a center's game. While he has played PF in his career based on size, it's clear he has a low post oriented Center style game. He's a great "big" but I don't think he is a good fit for Houston unless he and Yao are mostly splitting minutes and I just think that's a waste.

6. accougar

accougar Member

Again I agree that, as you sort of implied, Bosh is a better fit. However, the more this drags on without the Rockets being mentioned much in the Bosh sweepstakes and teams like Miami, Chicago, and New York continually are mentioned. I just think that we might not be where Bosh ends up. In addition, Bosh is a max guy and he is going to require Brooks, Battier, Ariza, Hill, contract filler, picks, or some combination that is far more expensive than Jefferson.

Again, I agree that Yao and Jefferson don't seem like a great fit, but you could really structure your roation where they were only on the floor together for 10-12 minutes per game. And, as you said, Yao can step out in the high post. If Jefferson is on the block and Yao is at the high post, than the two could, theoretically, fit together in short spurts. In addition, it would take away some of the beating that Yao recieves when he is in the low post.

Ultimately, I feel that the Rockets biggest need is a post player that can legitimately play center. The need this to 1) take away some of the beating that Yao recieves, 2) reduce Yao's minutes, and 3) have a quality player in place when Yao is in street clothes. It all adds up to keeping Yao healthy and, when not healthy, having a good low post option.

7. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Yes! This is great news. The Rockets should be all over this. If they don't land Bosh, this is the next best thing. If they could keep Scola and acquire Jefferson, the Rockets would be a contender.

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

There obviously must be some kind of red flag on this guy (besides his lackluster defense) that is keeping his value down. Maybe just because he's been putting up numbers on a bad team, or the injury concerns ... but something tells me there is more.

There hasn't even been so much as a blurb about the Rockets being interested, and Morey was in Boston when they drafted the guy. He's not a great fit for out team, anyway, but there's something going on with him if we haven't even inquired about him.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....well the red flag is the team has poor management from the top down - ownership, GM, coach, no true leaders in the lockeroom, etc. I'm not sure anyone knows what Jefferson is capable of in a functional system.

....so here is my idea for the day. Al Jefferson for Deng and maybe Taj Gibson. I think that's a GREAT idea for Chicago. They get a legit post guy which means they just have to add Lebron or Wade and they are set. Noah can hide the defensive shortcomings of Jefferson, Lebron and Deng would play the same position so that doesn't really work anyway.... Minnesota gets a young big who CAN play probably mesh better with Kevin Love and of course they get another SF which we all know Kahn is on the hunt for. Flip some of their young SFs for some future picks and move into true rebuilding mode with Love, Flynn, Gibson, maybe Rubio, etc.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Randolph = 20/10.

AJ = "no different than Zach Randolpha and worse rebounder" = 20/8.

How many people can get you 20/8?

Jefferson deserves to go to a place where his talent isn't wasted.

11. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Since Gay is out of market, they can trade Jefferson to the bulls for Deng.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Supposed lineup, if everything falls into place:

Rose
    Pargo / Warrick.
    James
    Jefferson
    Noah

Aside from the 2 spot, absolutely SICK starting 5.

13. httx713

httx713 Member

San Antonio Sports Radio announced earlier that after Richard Opted Out the Spurs will go after Al Jefferson.

14. accougar

accougar Member

Jefferson is also better than a 20/8 guy. In the 08-09 season he averaged 23/11. Those are BIG numbers. Now, he did it on a bad team team, were he was the only guy, but he did it on a bad team where he didn't have anyone to ocupy the defense or consistantly get him the ball. If you know what I'm saying.

15. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

I think Big Al is finally gonna get traded because the T-Wolves have drafted and signed a few big men. Darko Milicic, Nikola Pekovic, and Nemanja Bjelica. Which all happen to be Serbians if that interests anyone.

16. accougar

accougar Member

If that is true, Morey is not above cockblocking the spurs. See the 2008 draft.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

after the knicks strike out in free agency, i think they will end up absorbing jefferson's contract into their cap space and re-signing david lee.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I said months ago the spurs would go after al. They get al and theyre back in the hunt. They dont have anyone who can man the post to take pressure off tim. Morey was on staff when they drafted jefferson in boston.

19. accougar

accougar Member

People keep saying that, but nobody seems to know what it means. Does Morey like him? Does it simply means he knows what he would be getting? Does it mean that he wouldn't want him as part of an organization he was running? Does anyone really know?