1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Bosh, Amare, Lebron are all players that people want on this team. None of these players are what we need. What we really need is a backup center. I hate to be the one to rain on everyones parade, but Scola is our Bosh and Amare. We could use Lebron, but we don't need him. Ecspecially considering how this team fared against the likes of a Lebron, Bosh and Stoudemires last year without a legit center. As a matter of fact, i have been thinking as well as posting that they should look to get 2 more centers and let Yao sit out for the 1st half of the season to work on his conditioning, strength and rehab. Think about it, if T-Mac would have sat out the 1st half of last season, he would have been able to help us finish off the season, probably gotten us to the playoffs and not be having the trouble that he is having now. He did not give himself time to heal. Anyways, it would be best to keep Hill at his natural position at PF. I say Brad Miller and one of the undrafted bigs, if possible, would be enough or Andris Biedrins and Brad Miller would be great. What does everyone think and yes, bring on the flame!! :)

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Players we could use, not named Bosh, Amare, LeBron, and Wade that would fit into our team. Mostly players who are available, been available, or have been rumor on the trading block.

C- Brad Miller, Brendan Haywood, Spencer Hawes (would've made a great backup for us), Tyson Chandler (too expensive, ETO),

PF - Anthony Randolph, Emeka Okafor (but too expensive most likely), Serge Ibaka (not happening, though),

SG (backup, in case Battier or Budinger leaves by trade) - Anthony Morrow, Randy Foye, Mike Miller, and Kyle Korver.

PG - Chris Paul (not likely, but I think having him and Brooks together would be great guard combo), Ramon Sessions (if we lose Lowry), or even Mo Williams (as a backup).

3. tested911

tested911 Member

I'm going to say NO... What we need is a championship team.. Not a Good team but a GREAT team..

Even if we still had Zeke from 5 years ago, Brad Miller, Gortat, etc.. (Not any All-star caliber center) We still don't have what it takes to win it all.. We Need a legit scorer when we have those major droughts.. Just ups our chances to win..

Yao will get double team hard, and what if Kevin has an off knight and AB can't drive to the hole.. Where do we get our scoring? Scola?Ariza? I rather have it be Bosh, Stat,Boozer,JJ,Dirk, CP3 (You get the point).

If all we do this off season is get a backup center we will be a good team hoping to get past the 2nd round.

4. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

somebody doesnt want to win the championship

you trade hill for bosh, but before hand, get word from brad miller he will sign with us. that way we get both backup center and bosh

5. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

WE NEED BOSH ..YOU THINK A BACK UP CENTER WILL HELP US WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. WNBA

WNBA Member

To be mediocre, we need a backup center.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

For the record, I don't believe TMac's and Yao's rehab tracks are similar, and TMac, though he didn't handle his return correctly, doesn't even know how he feels anymore. I think his brain short-circuited.

Anyway, Yao needs to do whatever the doctors tell him. But yes, we do need a backup center - Morey, though seems to be trying to play two games: one is build around Yao, the other is build without Yao. Picking up a Bosh/Amare/etc would be very valuable in the 2nd scenario.

8. thekad

thekad Member

I also would rather have Brad Miller over Lebron, Bosh, Amare. He's just the better player, you know.

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

What we really need is LeBron James, period.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

You're not seriously suggesting that a backup center will help this team more than Lebron James, Chris Bosh or Amare Stoudemire.

11. thething

thething Contributing Member

5 years ago Isiah Thomas was ruining the Knicks. I don't think he could have helped in any way.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

We have 3 players who can produce close to, or even above Brad Miller at the backup center position.

1. Jordan Hill, and I paraphrase Morey here: "Hill is the same size as 50% of the 5's in the league."
    2. Chuck Hayes, who sucks as a starter but isn't too bad as a backup
    3. David Andersen, who is Miller-like and likely improve from his rookie season

Now who do we have that comes close to Wade, Bosh, or Lebron?

And technically, as a fan I don't need the Rockets to win a championship. But it would sure be nice to have one.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We need a star. This team plus Yao can't win a championship. It's going to be hard to obtain a 1st tier star who can lead us to one. We have assets but other teams do too. If we end up giving too many of them,we will lose our role player depth. The expiring picks can certainly help,but it's important to re-sign Luis and Lowry to relatively inexpensive contracts otherwise we won't have any caproom left.

14. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

True but not one of there wasn't even 1 starting center the same size as or smaller than hill that made it to the conference semi finals. If I'm not mistaken.

15. htown88

htown88 Member

This team really does need a backup center and brad is a great option but the other free agents mentioned would be great but, when your tallest player besides Yao is 6'9 not including anderson it really is a weakness for this team. Yeah Hill can play the 5 some but he isn't the answer for the backup center role.

16. rocketicon

rocketicon New Member

True. But Hill isn't our starting Center. He would be Yao's backup.

17. PeppermintCandy

I agree. A good backup center will help if Yao misses a stretch of games with a minor injury, but won't make this team into a true contender.

A star PF/C would be able to both fill in for Yao during the regular season and then help the Rockets compete for a ring in the postseason.

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Okay let us see how it works with Bosh.

Yao Center
    Bosh PF

Okay and then Yao goes to bench

Bosh Center
    Scola PF

And then Bosh needs to rest

Hill Center
    Scola PF

And then Hill Gets in foul trouble

Scola Center
    Patterson Pf

And then Scola sprains his ankle

Hayes Center
    Patterson PF

And then Patterson gets in foul trouble
    Hayes Center
    Battier PF

And then Yao and Bosh check back in all rested and you can start all over.

Oh yes and I neglected to mention Jeffries and Andersen because I suspect they would part of what we have to give to get Bosh. Bosh is better than half of the starting centers in the league. His our back

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

If we could land LBJ, backup centers would compete to sign with the rockets for min salary.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Excuse me, but Anderson will be 30 in his 2nd season. He is nothing like Miller. None of the guys you mentioned can score as well as Brad.