1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[1st round Pick] Patrick Patterson - F - Kentucky

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 24, 2010.

1. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I am glad we got Patterson instead of whiteside. Only because I didnt think Patterson would be there. If my choices came back to Whiteside and Patterson I would have chosen Patterson too. Thats not one of those guys everyone thought would drop this far. Some did. I didnt. Very good move. Scola isnt getting younger either. Might as well groom a possible duo like Landry/ Scola again and maybe even have Hill or Patterson as huge NBA draws for teams in sign and trades. After all? if we are gonna get a Bosh or Amare? Wouldnt it make sense a team might want a Patterson and a Hill or somthing like a powerforward who is young back in return? This is a sweet move by Morey.

2. Entropy

Entropy Member

No wonder Adelman was a fan.

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I'm sure (just speculation on my part) that's what they would have done if Patterson would have been taken before #14.

I'm just glad he fell because it puts the Rockets in a position where they can possibly trade a couple of their PFs without having to worry about depth... and if they can't, OK, either look in FA for a backup center (I'm sure they got a plan there) or run Hill at the 5 and Jeffries at the 4 off the bench.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

How was he the SF when Kevin Durant played small forward? He averaged 15 points playing as part time playing powerforward and SF like they say Patterson is versatile enough and athletic enough to do. Thats where I drew the comparison of being versatile to play alot of different positions. He is even solid enough unlike Green though they say to play some center on some teams because he is solid muscle.

5. htown88

htown88 Member

I really just don't feel that Morey will sit and not make a trade and yeah we have plenty of assets for us to get some really good players.

6. htown88

htown88 Member

I was asking the question not saying that you were wrong.....

7. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

dam man thats nasty

8. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Yea, I'll take my chances with a 6'9 lottery talented power forward against the Lakers front line opposed to a raw 7 foot, 2nd round project

9. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Boozer was bigger and a longer reach. Boozer was a better rebounder. He grabbed the same amount of rebounds in only 25 minutes vs 35 minutes for Patterson.

Patterson was an average rebounder, which might translate even worse into the NBA.

10. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

hes NOTHING like Ron, dont kno wat ur talkin bout

11. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Patterson cannot play 3, hes not someone who can slash from the perimeter.

He's going to be playing at the 4.

12. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

I like Patterson, at the 14th he was the guy I would have picked at that point, but I wonder how much he knows about the Rockets team.
    In one of his draft interviews he mentioned Yao......and then their point guard and Chuck Hayes.

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The one thing which strikes me as odd about this selection is that Rockets Staff seem to be more overjoyed , even estatic, on what Patterson brings to the Locker Room.

I for one would be uplifted if I heard more about him making a special contribution to the upswing of our team performance on the Basketball Court.

Does this mean with three Power Forwards already on board, we will add Bosh and have FOUR Power Forwards? :p

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

True but he is taller than Boozer and scored more and shot a higher percentage on a team that had two other phenom scorers in Wall and Cousins who took away rebounds too.

On another note. Just think what teams see now? They are stairing at losing Bosh or Amare or Boozer.... They look at the Rockets.. They see two high draft picks who are young just sitting there. A top 5 draft pick I believe in Hill and a guy many thought could go in the top 10 in Patterson. They see Knicks future picks and next years first round pick for the Rockets and our role players who can match salary. Now who do they want to deal with in a sign and trade? A team who cant give them back a Powerforward in return or young guys or picks or the Rockets? We can give every team two powerforward promising picks or one center and powerforward depending on how people see Hill. Then we can offer future Knicks picks and maybe even a good player. I think Morey did for Boshj and Amare. I think we get one of them. All they have to do is want to come here. We could get Dirk or Boozer in a sign and trade with those assets perhaps? Hopefully we even have to give up Brooks to do it either.

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

It seems most media except Houston media feel sorry for PP. They say he has to take a step back because of talents that we have on the front court.

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Hopefully we dont have to give up Brooks is what I meant to say.

17. mms

mms Member

TOR got a PF also in Davis. They clearly are preparing losing Bosh.

18. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

That's blood not a booger.

19. GMNot

GMNot Member

I think Madkins comments are pretty straight up. The Rockets value professionalism and maturity. From that perspective Patterson represents someone who, although a rookie, will seem more like a veteran his first year.

I've posted before, too much emphasis is placed on raw stats, like height. One of my fond memories of the Rockets championship years was when we played Phoenix in '94, Barkley said, "Chucky WHO?" It didn't take a superstar in that position for the Rockets to stun the Suns, did it? We all love to repeat Rudy's quote, "Never underestimate the heart of a champion." Daryl Morey (and the organization) like players with heart. He saw that in Landry and then we all saw it when Landry lost his tooth against the Jazz trying to keep a ball in play AFTER he had been hit in the face. Team and locker room culture really matter. Give this guy a chance.

And anyone who can get Daryl Morey to say he ONLY sees assets and not also human beings... get it in a video, as they say here, or I don't buy it. True, it is a business. But to think the players that come through here are only seen as "assets" is just wrong. I know there's a lot of salivating over Chris Bosh and some other free agents, but I won't mind one bit if we go to war with the cast we have... assuming Yao can give quality minutes. That is really my only concern at this point. I see a team full of young players who really care about winning and will be proud to support them. They may not all be the right size or have exactly all the talent we would like but they've got big hearts. And if Rudy's slogan means anything to us as fans we'll not be so critical of the players we have. They are human beings with feelings and not "scrubs". Period. If you are frustrated at not winning, I can understand. But to use demeaning words like scrubs only shows you are yet immature as to the real values in life. The Rockets try to bring a class team to the court for fans... why don't we try to be class fans in supporting them.

20. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Look guys! I know Patterson isn't as big and long as we all want Morey to draft but do remember that getting a long player or a Center doesn't mean nothing when you have an opportunity to draft the best player possible with the 14th pick. Apparently Patterson is the best player at the 14th pick so Morey made the right move.

I mean who cares about challenging the Lakers front court right now. We deal with that later. But for now, lets worry about making it to the Playoffs first and then advancing out of the first round. Then after that, we can worry about the Lakers matchup.

But anyway, we all want a certain type of player but Morey knows best for the Rockets than any one of us do so we should respect whoever he picks. Anyway, most of us always complain who Morey picked over the past like Aaron Brooks ( he's too short, we should of drafted Glen Davis), Carl Landry (who is this guy?) etc. I mean wouldn't you rather draft Carl Landry other than someone like Aaron Gray because we needed a center?

So I think this draft pick should be a right choice for Houston. I rather draft the best player possible than drafting a player for position. I mean if we would draft a big center and he sucks and can't even crack the rotation? Then what? That's why we all should respect Morey's pick and trust him because we all should know that we always complain about who he drafted and then later praised how great Morey is for finding a diamond in the rough.

1 person likes this.