1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis receives extension!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by off_welfare, Aug 26, 2002.

1. chewy

chewy Member

Any word from the press conference yet? I'm interested to hear what Steve has to say.

2. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

IT

OFFICIALLY

BEGINS

these are the pieces people
    I'll be what, 28 when Francis has another contract question, wow...

good luck eddie, good luck yao
    cuttino, nachbar...
    we got a good long time in the nba to make a name for ourselves

cheers

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

With Steve signing the extension, who else besides me thinks that as long as Steve is here, Cuttino will be here the next 6/7 years too because of their "buddy" status?

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Cat still has 4 more years on his contract so that really isn't an issue. The Francis/Mobley friendship is overblown. They aren't as close as most people think.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

"Despite Yao's much-anticipated arrival, the contract solidifies the 25-year-old Francis as the Rockets' go-to guy, as the headrests of his white Mercedes-Benz that sport the embroidered word "Franchise'' attest."

Umm...okay...I guess THAT's why Francis likes Cato so much...they seem to have the same idea of taste and style... ;).

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm glad to hear that Francis has signed the extention,but I'm wondering could there be a health related clause in the deal because of his migraines?

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

They aren't close. How many Francis quotes in the paper should we pull?! I guess we are to believe Francis is just being nice to Cuttino and making things up in his quotes. Man, you are sounding more and more like a man wanting to scoop things out of his ass, or a Marketing man looking to give news the best spin.

add to this your claim that insiders told you Yao was not an issue, yet Marketing/Promotion was????? What? There was nothing to negotiate. Francis just wanted to see Ming play.

Obviously, he was giving a max $ for max yrs from the get go. And he signed 3 days....THREE DAYS...after watchng Yao play.

2+2=4

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

:confused:

9. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Well we just locked ourselves into the playoffs!

10. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Hey, the story made the front page of www.chron.com !

Here's the Houston Chronicle's article...

Aug. 26, 2002, 8:14PM

Francis signs long-term contract with the Rockets
    Associated Press
    Stevie Franchise soon will be cashing paychecks befitting his nickname.

Steve Francis, heading into the final year of a four-year, $14.1 million contract with the Houston Rockets, has agreed to a six-year extension at the NBA maximum, which should be between $80 million and $90 million once the new salary cap is established.

"They're willing to put that significant amount of money on the line that we can get some results," Francis said today. "When a lot of guys get healthy, I think we can have one of those seasons (this year) that we'll always remember."

Francis is among the Rockets trying to get healthy. He is recovering from surgery on his right shoulder and is treating an inner-ear disorder that caused debilitating headaches last season.

The injury and the headaches, diagnosed as Meniere's Disease by the Mayo Clinic, kept Francis out of 25 games. He said today his ear treatment is going well and doesn't anticipate headaches to recur this season.

Also returning from injuries are Maurice Taylor, who missed all of 2001-02 with an injured right Achilles tendon and guard Glen Rice, who was lost in January with a hurt right knee.

Owner Les Alexander gushed at the prospect of his returning veterans joining first-round picks Yao Ming, the 7-foot-5 center from China who was the NBA's No. 1 overall choice, and Slovenian forward Bostjan Nachbar.

"The talent that's coming back now is just unbelievable," Alexander said.

Despite Yao's much-anticipated arrival, the contract solidifies the 25-year-old Francis as the Rockets' go-to guy, as the headrests of his white Mercedes-Benz that sport the embroidered word "Franchise" attest.

The 6-foot-3, 195-pound Francis was an NBA All-Star for the first time last season. Often playing in pain, he averaged 22 points, seven assists and seven rebounds last season.

Francis said he's eager to fully assume the team's leadership role as the Rockets try to transform from a rebuilding club into a contender.

"I think it'll be a good opportunity, not only in being a leader in talking or yelling, but proving things on the court," Francis said. "I will be judged, definitely, on how much we win and how much we lose, and I'm ready for that next step."

Francis, drafted No. 2 overall in 1999 by Vancouver, was traded three years ago Tuesday after refusing to sign with the Grizzlies. He was the league's co-rookie of the year that season.

Francis and Rockets officials talked to reporters about the extension in a downtown temporary building across the street from where the team's new arena is under construction. The arena is expected to be ready for the 2003-2004 season.

11. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

HP, this might shock you but, "I AGREE WITH YOU".

Nothing against Jeff, but I think they are closer then he thinks. I read an article recently about Francis in NY (or somewhere?) in a studio, and the reporter mentioned that his best buddy Cuttino was by his side. Sounds like friendship to me.

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

WTF?? What evidence do you have otherwise?

13. heypartner

yep, it does "shock" me. You're a good sport barbourdg. I owe you one.

14. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

:confused:
    Be part of something REALLY big? :D

Be part of something BLIMPY? :eek:

15. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

They just need to use the lyrics from the Hero song for MoT.

I am so HIGH, I can ...

(Not an attack on MoT - just what I think the poster was referring to)

16. Stevie Francis

its great that we are finally done rebuilding. Now we need to grow.

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

just saw the Francis clip on FSSW.

Les talks about how excited he is...basically as you would expect of an owner who just got the ultimate Money-Making Cash Cow in Yao Ming, and just locked up a franchise PG for the next 7 years, all just in time for his spiffy new stadium.

Francis said he looks forward to things-we were fortunate trading for Eddie Griffin (Griffin for Lewis? Ha.) and were lucky that Steve Francis (there's another 3rd person quote for you, hp) represented the Rockets at the lottery so they could get Yao Ming.

Francis to Ming. It's got a championship ring.

18. buckaroo

buckaroo Contributing Member

looks like ROXTXIA hit it right on the head...whos your source? :)

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Steve_Francis_Signing_Transcri-52041-34.html

19. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well, I guess some people here consider me a Francis "hata", but all I ever wanted was Francis to grow in his maturity level. Getting his extension signed this fast was definitely a big step, IMO.

I am very happy that he signed because I really feel that the Rockets cannot win a championship without him. So, cross me off that "hata" list!:D

BTW - I am too puzzled by Jeff's remark. Although I feel that Jeff has a great source to back his quote up, I would like to see it for curiosity's sakes.

Man, what a great night - Francis signs, Red Sox come back to beat those damn Angels, I'm listening to my all-time favorite Radiohead song, and the new Coldplay CD comes out tomorrow...yes, life is good sometimes, my friends.

20. heypartner

The deal is for 7yrs years, however, technically the contract begins *now* ... with the 4th yr team option still being for the same dollars. So it is, indeed, a max 7yr, yet counts as only 6 extra yrs versus what we already had him contracted for.

Don't ask me why they do it that way...does that make sense??

#60 heypartner, Aug 26, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2002