1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Rockets Comparisons...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacBeth, Aug 25, 2002.

1. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

I normally wait to see a lot of players before I do these kinds of things, and they are mostly useless, but I do find them fun, and hope you do too...What I wanted to do, now that I've seen Yao play a bit, was to come up with solid (!?) comparisons between the 4 chore players on our present team with other players in NBA history, although I am somewhat limited by not having been really exposed to any players before the mid 80's...

Yao Ming...

Most Comparable Player: Ralph Sampson.

Both were long,lean, athletic players, both are notable for their small man skills in big man bodies. I am not suggesting that Ming will encounter the same injuries as Ralph, and he already has a much more solid base, but on the other hand he has a lot more to learn, particularly in the post, then Sampson did at a similar stage of development.

Other Worthy Comparisons : Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Arvydus Sabonis, Rik Smits. Notes: Obviously if he plays anything like Kareem we'd better get a bigger trophy case, but if he develops his hook shot anymore, he'll be damn near as unstoppable. He's not the passer/playmaker that Sabonis was, nor the shooter, but at his height you won't find anyone closer to Arvydus in those regards. If Smits played defense, and was a little more agile, you'd be pretty close.

Eddie Griffin

Most Comparable Player: Larry Nance

For all his athleticism, Eddie isn't quite the flyer Nance was, and he's probably a better shooter at his age than Larry was, but aside from that it's a damn good comparison. I honestly believe that they will have similar careers, and for those of you who never saw Nance play in his prime, that's a good thing.

Other Worthy Comparisons: Rasheed Wallace, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Orlando Woolridge, James Worthy, Robert Horry. Notes: Wallace is very close too, but a better post player, and not the off the ball defender that Griff's going to be. Rahim has a much better mid and in game, but isn't the defensive presence. Woolridge was close offensively, but was lazy on defense. Worthy was smooth like Eddie, but a much more polished all around offensive player, not the shot blocker. Horry is a lot closer than you'd think.

Cuttino Mobley

Most Comparable Player : Byron Scott

Like Mobley, Scott was an offensive role player who developed into an almost star-level performer. Also like Mobley he was a shooter/scorer who could go to the hoop if he had to,as opposed to a high flyer. Mobley is a better ballhandler, but doesn't make the same smart decisions Scott was known for, nor is he quite the pure shooter.

Other Worthy Comparisons: Jeff Malone, Vernon Maxwell, Rolando Blackmon. Notes: Malone was a better spot-up shooter, and not quite as agile as the Cat. Max was a much better defender, and a much looser cannon, but other than that they're pretty close. Blackmon was smoother, and made better decisions, but didn't have the same handle.

Steve Francis

Most Comparable Player : Fat Lever

Before you get upset, try to remember the Fat Lever before all the setbacks...he was one hell of a player. Francis was a hard fit until I thought of Lever, but they're very close, in terms of results. Lever wasn't as quick, was a little stronger, but they do most of the same things.

Other Worthy Comparisons: Allen Iverson, Stephon Marbury, Baron Davis, Jason Terry. Iverson is quicker, and more of a shooter, but there are obvious similarities. Marbury is very close, more pure pg skills, but also oft-maligned for being me-first. Davis is a similar athlete, but is built more powerfully, and isn't as quick. Terry is, if anything, quicker, but doesn't have the same ball skills or hops.

Well, there is my list...what do you think? If I've missed obvious ones, which I probably have, let me know, or just put up your own. A team built around Sampson, Nance, Scott and Lever, in their primes, would have something to behold...

JAG

#1 MacBeth, Aug 25, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2002
  2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I want people to compare other players to Francis, Mobley, Griffin and Yao.

One day, I want to hear "Wow! Look at that guard! He reminds me of
    the great Steve Francis."

News Flash: Giant 7' 4" Brazilian center enters the NBA. Scouts say,
    "Reminiscent of the great Yao Ming."

I mean, isn't it GREAT when you hear people from ESPN or FoxSports
    say, "...he's no Olajuwon or Kareem. But, he's still a good center" (when
    talking about centers that have been recently drafted; including Yao)?

As far as your list...our players are strange. They are hybrid players.
    I mean, Francis is a shooting-point guard. Mobley is a small shooting guard.
    Griff is a power forward, but shoots 3 pointers. Yao...well, he's just an enigma.
    We've never seen anything like him before.

I love it! We have very unique players...it will be fun to watch them
    grow into something never seen before. I hope.

Comparisons are fun...sure. But they create expectations too high.
    Most of the time the comparisons end in heartbreak and disappointment.

That's why Kobe struggled at first. Everyone wanted him to become
    the next Jordan. After Kobe started playing "his game" he started playing
    better.

#2 DavidS, Aug 25, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2002
  3. aznlincolnpark

Nice comparison :D

4. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

1) I agree with your 1st point, but it's fun to see what you can come up with.

2) Re: your second point: Most of the guys I came up with are unique/hybrid type players too, with the exception of most of the Mobley comparisons...

5. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Thanks...all of them, or one in particular?

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I agree nice comparisons. How the Rockets do may be deermined on which of the players you mention for each Rocket they "turn out to be. If you take the lower range of the players for each Rocket we might not ever win a championship, bjut we sure will be in the running.

Yao, Sampson or Jabbar are the best comparisons . No reason why he can't develop the skyhook. Then, I agree chmpionship. Rik Smits? no champinship till at least Shaq retires. Sampson with a bit of clutch thrown in, means championship, too.

Griffith, Nance is a good comparison. I do think Eddie is a better defender than any of the guys you mention. Some are better offensively, e.g, Wallace. Nance if I remember seemed to have better stats than a clutch game. Eddie could be better in the playoffs. If Eddie is clutch, chmpionship assuming Ming is at least Smits

Cuttino, Vernon is the only one quick enough to merit a comparison. Th others are jump shooters. Vernon with a more consistent jumper and attitude. Probably less defense. Every championship team needs the guy who wants the last shot in the big game and can't ever be defeated mentally. Vernon would never quit nor will Cat nor will Kobe or Bibby or Kidd. (note I think Kidd and Kobe are better players than Cuttino. Cuttino is better than Vernon, equal to Bibby).

Francis, Lever a great comparison. Sort of not a point guard playing point guard, with near triple doubles every night. I predict for Stevie 17pts,10 assists, 5 rbounds per game with an improved fg%. Lever was on bad teams, but never was what I consider a champion. Oh well Stevie has a stronger supporting cast.