1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. kuj007

kuj007 Member

'sup fellas (& ladies)...

I'd like to make it over to Fonde sometime this summer (what's left of it) to watch some of the Rox (and other NBA players) in a little pick-up ball.

Is Fonde still the place to go? With all of the stars living in Katy now, is there someplace out there that they play now?

I've been over there once or twice, but I don't know when is the best time to go over and catch the best games. Went over there today around lunch time, but didn't see anything but scrub ball.

For those of you who do go to Fonde to play:
    1) who's the best you've ever played against there
    2) who's the best baller there, that wasn't NBA or D1

Later

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

As far as I know the Fonde is, was and always be the place to go. I've never been there but I have a lot of friends that play down there and they say the competition is CRAZY down there. Oh and by the way most of the NBA players live in Sugarland.

3. kuj007

kuj007 Member

Sugarland it is... it's West in any event. Made me start wondering if the Westside Tennis Club is where the NBA/D1 pickup ball is these days.

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I remember back in 97 I was in the 14 and under camp at Fonde and we got a chance to watch Penny, Mo Malone, Cassell, Horry, Elie, and Bo Outlaw play. They have a picture of Shaq, and Dream working out there also.

5. tozai

tozai Member

I think most players work out at Westside now...

6. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

I've seen Cat and MoT playing a little pick-up at the sweetwater country club (in Sugar Land). I also tried to get in on a game at the SL YMCA with Cat and Mooch. Both of those places are seconds away from wher they live.

7. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Westside is the place to go. But, you may have to dish out some cash for a membership.:)

8. SUPAFLY

SUPAFLY New Member

If ya'll dont know, Stevie, Cuttino, Moochie, and Eddie play out by a church on Eldrige Parkway and Westheimer - outdoor courts, not all fancy or anything but people that really hoop, go out there plus Moochie and Eddie and them live over there by Royal Oaks so it isnt too far for them.

9. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

the fondè has the most awesome view of downtown... prime real estate...

10. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm somewhat new to downtown Houston, what and where is the Fonde?

11. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

serious bout that church on eldridge and westheimer? I pass by that almost everyday, I always see some ppl balling but Mooch and the Rocks??

12. kuj007

kuj007 Member

Kubli9,

Fonde is one of the better known pick-up courts in the country... enough so that Sega included it in the NBA2K2 video game as one of the street ball courts)

It's a city of Houston Rec Center bldg, close to downtown. If legend holds true, it's where H(A)keem *really* honed his games for the League back in the day when he was at UofH. We have our fair share of streetball legends from what I understand -- it's the closest thing Houston has to Rucker Park. However, I *think* it's lost some of its lustre due to the fact that many of the Rox don't play there like they used to... to me it seemed to coincide with Westside opening.

I've never seen a good game there, a buddy of mine watched Cassell, Penny, Nick Van Exel, and several of the Rox play there a couple of years ago. I'm sure there's still some good ball there, probably the best general pickup games in Houston at times, but not like it used to be from what I can tell...

13. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

the fonde is located off of Memorial and Sabine streets, Houston Ave is another cross street and HPD is catty-corner... to get to the fonde take Memorial downtown and exit Texas Avenue, Rusk Street it's on the right (basically the last exit before Memorial goes into downtown). It's a large red brick building with HUGE lofts next door and a City of Houston Wastewater Facility on the otherside... it's practically right across the street from Allen Parkway (Eleanor Tinsley Park, where FreedomFest takes place)

14. tozai

tozai Member

WHAT? You're kidding me...I've played there sometimes and never saw them. I also drive by there alot and never saw them. So when did you see them there?

15. aznlincolnpark

:D:p:D just post for fun

16. tozai

tozai Member

SUPAFLY???

17. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

I am getting in on this thread way late, but though I might throw in one of my whitebread fantasay moments at Fonde. I was working for the Mayors Office at the time and fielded a team that included playing against Rodney McCray and some CBA types, and I was able to pull off a behind the back dribble into a high arching layup bank off the glass over Rodney McCray only bucket of the game...). That was pre-ACL tear....

Anyway, just thought I would add that since Fonde was the topic.
    Man, Rodney hiny could give Chuckters a run for the money any day!!!!

Thanks,

18. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanx for the info kuj007 and rockhead. Sorry so late, I forgot to check back on this thread. I had no idea it was so close to where I live (near Shepherd and Memorial). I always play at the Spotts park courts off Memorial, the play there is just a tad closer to my level. ;)