1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we stop calling Kobe the greatest?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BEAT LA, Jun 17, 2010.

1. RockyChamp

RockyChamp Member

Kobe needs 1 more title to tie Jordan for the greatest ever label :p

2. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Remember last year against us?

Game 7 he was 4/12

This year he is 6/24

Chocked again but had his teammates helped him.

3. Mr. Space City

i didnt say that. but moving on..

of course players have off games. no player in nba history has played at his highest level every single game of their playoff career.

but i dont think using jordans stats from a game 6 where the game was already out of reach for the sonics where there was going to be another game if the bulls loss is the correct comparison to a do or die game 7 especially when the player in question has a history of subpar finals performances.

then factor he has played pretty poorly for a majority of the series (only finals mvp in history to shoot under 50% every game of the finals.)

this performance still does not discredit him as a great player but brings back the criticism that kobe struggles under the big lights.

1 person likes this.
  4. VBG

VBG Member

Kobe is the greatest shot maker in the NBA and probably ever. He can hit tougher shots than anyone else.

He also takes tougher shots than anyone else.

5. RockyChamp

RockyChamp Member

that game was over after the first 6 minutes

6. Mr. Space City

^ comments like this is what im talking about.

7. clippy

clippy Member

Yeah, the problem is that guys like RockyChamp and goodbug are either very low-IQ or casual fans who don't watch the whole game, or most likely both. So they can make platitudes like this and then non-fans (the kind who go to a bar with their friends and "watch" the game between appletinis) sort of buy into it. And then the legend grows. And since more real fans are getting disillusioned with the NBA and leaving, what are you left with but manufactured stars?

1 person likes this.
  8. jlwee

jlwee Member

Wow. Kobe must be wild opened all night yesterday cos he missed most of them. In Fact, the Celtics must be leaving Kobe open all series long cos Kobe was shooting 40% this finals.

9. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Sure
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/26-QIC41i84&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/26-QIC41i84&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I have to say that number 3 is not that impressive since he didn't have to make it more difficult, he could just have dunked it. The others are amazing.

The difference between Jordan and bryant is that Jordan actually hits most of his shots. Jordans career FG% is 0,487, Bryant career high fg in a season is 0,469. That is just sad. It is anoying that some people want to Compare Bryant to Jordan, because Jordan is arguably the best ever, and bryant is not top 10 all time. Bryant is a great player, but he is overrated when he is even mentioned in the discussion of greatest ever.

Since he takes tougher shots than anyone else it might be a good idea to pass every now and then, If opponents know he also passes to team mates maybe they will defend him differently. It is not a strong point that he takes tougher shots than anyone else.

#69 arno_ed, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  10. jason3333

jason3333 Member

he is the best rapists in the nba, but he may be behind big ben in all of sports for the top title of rapist in sports! thats how i really feel. he's no good in life and he should go straight to hell, not the nba hall of fame!

11. OvenproofBadger

Tracy Mcgrady?

12. VBG

VBG Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O3CWPM7v2nU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O3CWPM7v2nU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I hate the Lakers and I think Kobe is overrated. He's no Jordan. Prime T-Mac was as good. Kobe has been blessed with a great team around him.

But damn can Kobe make beautiful tough shots.

13. VBG

VBG Member

Sorry wrong vid. Was supposed to be hte next play-

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m5H_vH0ksVY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m5H_vH0ksVY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

14. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Honestly for me,

It would take Kobe to get his 7th ring

for me to even consider comparing him to

Jordan.

How are people even debating he's the greatest ever, when

He's not EVEN the greatest LAKERS.

15. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

nope. Sorry, Kobe has dominated in a league full of guards... Jordan? did it against teams with talented big men. Jordan never had a big man to throw it down to and make plays. Gasol is the real MVP in this series.

16. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Now all Lebron has to do is actually LEAD his team past the Eastern Conference. He seems to have a hard time winning when the games mean something :rolleyes:

17. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

That the problem. You guys inject too much emotion when it comes to pure basketball opinions. If somebody's hatred for Kobe is that bad to where you cant see his greatness, then you dont need to post. Most of the post i've read here seem personally charged. Kobe great, Lebrons not. Kobe's top 5 greatest with 4 rings, Lebron cant get outta his conference. Game point match KOBE

18. afw003

afw003 Member

just a good player. I don't like him.

19. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Not close to Lebron? lol. Cleveland had the BEST record two years in a row. Where were his teammates then? Lebron's not even worth mentioning when it comes to greatness

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Not trying to compare Jordan to Kobe here but if people are going to knock on Kobe for his performance in this series.... MJ had similar/worse stats in the 96 finals where he won Finals MVP.

1996 Finals : Michael jordan

.415 fg %

27.3 ppg

5.3 rpg

4.2 assists

vs

2010 Finals : Kobe bryant

0.432 fg %

28 ppg

8 rpg

4 assists