1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC] Papa Yao feeling good about the future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Courtesy of Dick Justice...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/rockets/7045980.html

Day by day, Yao Ming's confidence grows that his NBA career will resume, that he'll still have healthy, productive and happy years ahead.

Yes, he plans on spending those years with the Rockets. Yes, he'd love to have Chris Bosh as a teammate, but he thinks the Rockets are pretty good regardless. Finally, if anyone needs a diaper changed, Yao is the man to see.

What's that? You say you'd rather hear from the man himself? I was hoping you'd say that. What do you have for the people, Yao?

“Sorry, I've got to go right now and change a diaper,” he said.

Funny man, no? Fatherhood clearly agrees with him. Two weeks after he and his wife, Ye Li, celebrated the birth of a daughter, Yao said he's still getting plenty of sleep and so is his child.

“I think my daughter knows what I do,” he said, “so she's letting me get my rest.”

Yao was upbeat and in good humor Saturday afternoon during an appearance at the Chinese Community Center, where he put the ceremonial finishing touch on the first of four nature-based playgrounds built by his $100,000 donation.

Turning serious, he spoke of the work his foundation has done and why he thinks it's important.

“When we were growing up, there were a lot of people caring about us,” Yao said. “When we have success, we can't forget where we're from. We have to give something back. Today hopefully is a lesson for everybody — for me, for the kids, for their future. Hopefully in the future they can do the same things people did for them.”

Rosier summer than last

He arrived a couple of hours after completing his daily workout routine designed to test his surgically repaired left foot and get him back in NBA condition.

The Rockets are confident Yao will play again, but how much and how well are questions that won't be answered for months. General manager Daryl Morey's offseason mantra seems to be plan for the worst, hope for the best.

As for Yao, he's planning for the best.

“So far, so good,” he said, “and what I get from trainer Keith Jones and from (the doctors), they all feel good about my rehab.”

He's running hard on a treadmill and has begun running on the court and doing some shooting drills and post moves.

“We're increasing the workout intensity every week,” Yao said. “If I feel anything uncomfortable, I tell them to slow down a little bit. No rush.”

This optimism is a far cry from last summer, when there were days he feared his basketball career might be over.

“Yes, it scared me,” he said. “This time last year, we'd had a successful season and were looking to push forward, to more. That was a big shock for me, for us. Hopefully, everything's gone and I'm looking forward.”

The Rockets believe he may be limited to 20 to 25 minutes a game for the foreseeable future, perhaps for the rest of his career.

“That is a good question,” Yao said. “I think the doctor will give me a schedule. Of course at the beginning of the season, I will play less minutes. It depends on how you play and how the body reacts. Do you add more minutes or cut back down?”

Talented even sans Bosh

He was optimistic about the roster Morey has shaped with the additions of Kevin Martin, Jordan Hill, Chase Budinger and Trevor Ariza.

“I need to get myself into shape first; that's the first step,” Yao said. “When I'm healthy and everybody is healthy on this team, I think we have a good chance. We can see the talent we have. Aaron Brooks is very impressive. Trevor brought us a lot of intensity on the defensive side after Ron (Artest) moved to Los Angeles. Kyle (Lowry) is continuing to improve. All good things.”

Would he like to have Bosh, the team's No. 1 free-agent target, as a teammate?

“That would be good,” Yao said. “He's a very talented player. Smart. Athletic. He's one of top five people in this league. If he came to us, that would be a huge change for us.”

Do the Rockets need a major free-agent addition to contend for a championship?

“It would be good to have a major free agent on our team, of course,” he said. “To win a championship, you need talent, you need effort.”
    Sees future in Houston

Yao declined to say anything of substance about possibly opting out of his contract and negotiating a new deal. But he made it clear his heart is still with the Rockets.

“First of all, when they had the player summit, I didn't get called,” he said.

Cue the laughter.

“I think my future is still in Houston,” he said. “I'm going to let my agent handle this. I think we will work this out.”

When the last question was asked and he was preparing to leave, someone said, “Thanks, Dad.”

Those words stopped Yao in his tracks.

“I'm not used to that call yet,” he said.

1 person likes this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Kaman was in attendance?

1 person likes this.
  3. Raven

Raven Member

Can Yao get busted for tampering?

:confused:

4. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

People say Shaq is funniest big man in the NBA. I highly disagree, he ain't got nuthin on Yao!

5. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

He's witty for sure, but he's very deadpan in his delivery and because his delivery is not as smooth as other comedians, people don't recognize his incredible sense of humor.

6. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

If Yao may never play more than 25 minutes a night, anything over 9 million a season is overpaying. It would be great if Yao played for less money. I think he knows this season might be his last, why not sign for less. I understand money is money, but it's not like we're talking about chuck hayes, Yao makes plenty just from endorsements most americans haven't even seen. If I was Yao it would be a no-brainer. Retire with with 200 million and 0 rings, or 190 million and a ring.

7. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

Alright Mr.GM what should be paid?

8. bloop

bloop Member

lolol

we'll pay him by the minute

9. rockingsoul

rockingsoul Contributing Member

now they mentioned it, why did not Yao get called to go to the player's summit? It is not like frigging Joe Johnson is better than Yao??!! Haters!!!

10. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Can i answer your question with a question. Was Yao worth 15 million last season.

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

There was no summit.

Also, note the use of ambiguous words such as "may" and "possibly" in the article. I think this is just a tabloid-style article designed to get people riled up just so Dick Justice could get more views. We have not heard anything from the Rockets organization, neither in words nor action, that would indicate Yao would be as severely limited in playing time as he claims.

12. sw847

sw847 Member

First of all, I agree that Yao needs to be signed to a lesser deal. I would imagine around the 10 mil mark for maybe 4 years. This is not a knock on him as a player, just purely because of all the injury concerns.

but if you ask is he worth it? definitely. He makes more for the team by himself than the rest of the team combined IMO. So yes he is worth forthe team. as a player, maybe not. But you never know with injuries. Look at grant hill. Earlier in his career, he was plagued with injuries, but look at him now. he is playing great.

Anyway, agree with you on that yao needs to take a pay cut, but i would say he is worth his current contract.

13. woket

woket Member

Classic

14. Garner

Garner Member

Could someone post Dwight Howards stats against Yao?

A friend and I were discussing dominant big men and this little table came to mind, but I was unable to find it.

Can anybody help? Thanks

15. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

basketball-reference.com to the rescue

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi

1 person likes this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Cleverly disguised "I think Yao >>> Howard" post.

:) Love it.

1 person likes this.
  17. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

No. Players can't. Teams (coaches/mgmt) can.

18. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Finish the job bro:

Player G W L GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
    Yao Ming 9 7 2 9 35.1 8.7 15.4 .561 0.0 0.0 6.2 7.9 .789 3.0 7.4 10.4 1.2 0.7 2.1 2.7 4.1 23.6
    Dwight Howard 9 2 7 9 34.0 4.1 9.1 .451 0.0 0.1 .000 4.0 6.7 .600 1.8 8.0 9.8 0.8 1.3 1.7 2.0 3.4 12.2

I think this only proves one thing. Dwight Howard has amazing free throw defense on Yao Ming, causing him to shoot a whole 5% below his average.

1 person likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why do our reporters never ask them important questions like how much pain is he in?

What is going on in rehab, are you putting full weight on it? Can you run?

When you say that if you feel a twinge, you pull it back a bit, have you felt any twinges?

How often?

DD

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

no but d howard was