1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft live at 2:00pm CT -- come join us!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[ATT] Best iPhone Alternatives?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Jun 9, 2010.

1. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Do like me and get work to pay for my Evo 4g, and then get the iphone 4g. Done and done :grin:

2. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Are you sure your BB does not have Wi-Fi? I think most do (I know mine does).

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Try the 4G EVO first before you look (or relook) at the iPhone. IIRC, Sprint has better plans (i.e. more bang for your buck) than AT&T.

4. tulexan

tulexan Member

RIM is releasing a BB touch screen slider this summer on AT&T. The 9800. Looks pretty nice actually

Personally, I don't understand the appeal of all the apps. Sure, it's nice to have a bunch of games on your phone, but the only apps I really use on my BB are BBM, brick breaker, and google maps. I have a movies app for movie times, a sports app for scores, and some trading apps, but I don't really get why people need so many apps.

5. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I've been out of the jailbroken scene for a minute. What are some must haves?

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

The Sprint phone that people keep mentioning seems appealing but damn their coverage sucks!

7. steddinotayto

Try a phone with REAL apps like an iPhone or an Android for an extensive amount of time and I'm sure you'll notice quite a difference. And yes, I'm fully aware of BB's own app store and I've seen/used apps on a BB Storm and it pales in comparison.

8. steddinotayto

Droid Incredible for Verizon then?

9. tulexan

tulexan Member

I used to have an iPhone and again didn't use many apps. I get that people like having apps for specialized purposes like a world cup app, but I guess I don't see the need for it when I have access to a computer and don't see the need to have much more than a few apps which can take care of 90% of my needs. Virtually all of the apps that I did use on my iPhone are available on my BB too.

I'm not trying to talk trash about the iPhone, just stating a personal opinion.

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

ATT now caries the Palm Pre. imo, WebOS has the best OS experience between BB, iPhone and Android.

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

You're joking right? Sprint has FAR better coverage than AT&T, not to mention the only 4G network.

[​IMG]

12. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Don't let what other people have shape your opinions?

Other than that, professorjay's list is just about right. If you are looking for Android, other carriers at this point will give you a better choice.

13. Lil Pun

Here are the voice and messaging coverages in my area of the 3 carriers we have available. Sprint sucks compared to the other two and it isn't even close.

[​IMG]

14. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Dude...

If you are staying on AT&T...it's iPhone 4 or bust. If it is individuality you crave, at least you can take solace in the fact that you will have the newest, shiniest iPhone while a lot of others with older versions wait out for their contracts to end.

15. Lil Pun

It's not necessarily individuality but more and better features. I actually would mind changing plans/carriers at all if I can get a better phone and better deal. Really, an important feature is Wi-Fi as AT&T (and surely other carriers will follow) just rolled out capped data plans which could save about $15 off my monthly bill if I had a Wi-Fi capable phone. Somebody said earlier my BB may be capable but it is about to crap out on me, I think plus I am ready for an upgrade anyway.

16. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

WiFi is essentially a standard feature on any smartphone these days. You'll need to specify something else to distinguish which phone works for you.

17. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

You should check what those specific features are and decide if they are important to you. Not to mention if those features really are better than the iPhone. There's plenty of professional reviews out there on all the phones. You can even check YouTube for video reviews and walkthroughs.

18. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Have you put any thought into what features you want, which are most important to you, and in what ways you most often see yourself using your phone? Maybe answers to these can help the board to give you a more educated and catered opinion.

19. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

If you're not willing to switch carriers, the Samsung Galaxy S should be coming this summer (has comparable specs to the Incredible, Evo, Nexus One, etc).

20. Lil Pun

I think I have answered those in previous posts:

Wi-Fi:
    Camera/Video capabilities
    Touch screen
    Apps