1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dirk Or Kobe????

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by austinrocket, Aug 14, 2002.

1. aznlincolnpark

2. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I made a poll. Here it is.
    <!--Start Poll Code-->
    <form method="GET" action="http://www.createapoll.com/voteadd.asp?vote=24593" onSubmit="VoteWindow24593()" target="pollpage">
    <table border="1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0">
    ******** language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    function VoteWindow24593() {
    window.open("http://www.createapoll.com/voteadd.asp?Vote=24593","pollpage","toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,directories=no, status=no,menubar=no,resizable=no,width=520,height=400")
    }
    // --></script>
    <tr>
    <td bgcolor="#000000" align="center"><font face="Arial" size="2" color="#FFFFFF"><b>Kobe or Dirk?</b></font></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <font face = "arial" size = "2" color="#000000">

<input type="radio" value="1" name="choice24593" checked>Kobe<br>

<input type="radio" value="2" name="choice24593">Dirk<br>

<input type="radio" value="3" name="choice24593">They Are Even<br>

<input type="radio" value="4" name="choice24593">Can't Decide<br>
    </font>
    <input type="hidden" name="vote" value="24593">

</td>
    </tr>
    <tr bgcolor="#000000">
    <td colspan="2">
    <div align="center">
    <input type="image" border="0" name="imageField" src="http://www.createapoll.com/images/button_vote.gif" width="48" height="15">

<br>
    ******** language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    function ResultsWindow24593() {
    window.open("http://www.createapoll.com/resultsframe.asp?results=24593","pollpage","toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,directories=no, status=no,menubar=no,resizable=no,width=520,height=400")
    }
    // --></script>
    <a href="javaScript:ResultsWindow24593()" onmouseover="window.status= 'View Current Results!'; return true"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1" color="#FFFFFF">View Results</font></a>
    </div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </form>
    <!--End Poll Code-->

3. miles berg

miles berg Member

I would have to take Dirk Nowitzki. What he did to Minnesota in the Playoffs is something that rarely happens. In Game 3 he put the Wolves away with 17 in the 1st quarter on Minny's home court. He took the Wolves heart out.

And as far as the KG for Dirk trade, I think it would be pretty even among GMs. Dirk will never be the defensive ace that KG is but Dirk will equal KG as a rebounder and KG will never come close to being the offensive ace that Dirk is.

Also, unlike KG, Dirk embraces each and every athlete that ends up on the Dallas roster and makes them feel like a part of the team. KG can't even get a long with a co All-Star in Wally Sczerbiak, do you think he could embrace Shawn Bradley or Wang ZhiZhi?

I highly doubt it and locker room chemistry is another advantage Dirk has over KG. Other than defense, Dirk has every other advantage. They are rivals and will face off many more times over the next 8-15 years in big games and I will place my money on the team that Nowitzki is playing for.

4. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

From everything that I've heard, it is more Wally's fault than it is Garnett's. Wally doesn't seem to get along with anyone on that team.

5. Kenogu

Kenogu Member

Nowitski plain out sucks. My 65 year old grandfather plays better defense than that Nowitski. I choose the legend... Kobe Bryant. What a baller!

6. Soybean Fanatic

Let me applaud you... it probably takes your astonishing 'forbidden knowledge' and lots of stats juggling to produce a quality post like that. What a poster!

7. wagner

wagner Member

I like Kobe....a bit more.......but actully i would love to have Baron Davis & Elton Brand in my team....;)

8. wagner

wagner Member

or 'Dre Miller and Elton Brand.

9. Soybean Fanatic

Now that you've put Bette Davis and Elton John in the mix we might as well talk about Hitler or Stalin.....oK, let's do it.
    Who would you rather have on your team, Hitler or Stalin?

10. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Put the 39 year old Jordan on the 00-02 Lakers and you'd have damn near the same thing...

So, I guess, if Kobe does ever reach the Jordan level, the real question will he be able to do what MJ did at 39 years of age?

#70 vj23k, Aug 22, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2002
  11. i_killed_kenny

kobe is better and its not even funny

kobe has the ability to make his teamates better, dirk does NOT
    kobe is NBA ALL DEFENSE dirk can only dream

its funny how people just skip kobe's NBA ALL DEFENSE when that is what makes him much better then dirk, stats dont tell everthing

and im a bulls fan, i HATE kobe with a passion, but its not even funny how much kobe is better then dirk, sure dirk can score, so can kobe, but kobe can also pass and defend, dirk cant, and sure dirk can rebound, who else on the mavs can pull down the boards? their bigmen are pathetic that its also not even funny

12. o0|mcCants|0o

o0|mcCants|0o Member

who said it should be funny ?;)

BTW.....nice post , very nice post from u i_killed_kenny ...!!!;)

13. Asian Sensation

Kobe..... Strictly because of his killer instinct. The thing that few NBA players show today.

14. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Yes, Dirk performed horribly against San Antonio in 2001, that was his first playoff experience of his career and he was going against Duncan and Robinson with a team that wasn't as good as it was this year.

He had some trouble against Sacramento, but then again, Sacramento arguably should have won the NBA Finals this year. The Mavericks are probably another year or two away from competiting in the NBA Finals, but the fact that they competed so well with almost no depth in the front court shows how talented they are.

As for the Kobe vs. Dirk matchup, I think you almost have to take Dirk.

Kobe is excellent on offense, but take away Shaq, and the Lakers are definitely way worse than the Mavs. I'm not saying that Kobe wouldn't put up great numbers without Shaq, but he makes things a lot easier for Kobe. Of course you could say that the Lakers do well without Shaq in the lineup, but I guarantee that if Shaq were out for an entire season, opposing teams would be able to adjust big time, and neutralize Kobe to some extent.

Kobe's defense is excellent too, but he is allowed to do that because he has some of the best defenders in the league behind him (Shaq and Horry). He can play super-tight defense all day long because even if his man beats him, he will still have to get past Shaq or another big man. Also in the playoffs, as someone mentioned, Kobe doesn't have to guard any real offensive threats at 2 guard. Kobe always has had trouble against the Mavs, because they would neutralize him by rotating Buckner, Griffin, Finley, and Newman on him, and in the meantime he would have to defend Finley on the other end.

Dirk doesn't have the luxury of a great defending big man behind him like Shaq. He's also from Europe, where he never had to guard 6'11", 260 pound guys with 10% body fat. He has been working on his defense though, and has improved his numbers in practically every single offensive and defensive category each year of his career. He also plays in the Western Conference, where there are many strong PFs, but not as many talented offensive 2 guards. That plays more into Kobe's strength than Dirk's.

The fact of the matter is that Dirk is a 7'0", 250 lb PF who is versatile enough to play 3 positions and has better ball handling skills than some SG's. He also has a very solid low post game, and a very good 3 point shot. He works extremely hard in the offseason on his weaknesses, and it would not surprise me if he becomes a solid defender within a few years. It is nearly impossible to guard Dirk, since he has too many weapons for anyone his size to contain. Once he takes care of his weaknesses, he may be the most dominating player in this league aside from Shaq.

15. Panda

Panda Member

Kobe in a heartbeat.

How do I know? SIMPLE!!! Dirk doesn't have basketball genes as good as Kobe's.

Kobe's father is former NBA player Joe "Jellybean" Bryant! What about Dirk's father? A dagger collector?

And to think Yao Ming's mother and father were both ballers on the NT team. The same thing same pattern here!

Does Rick Barry, Brent Barry and Joe Barry ring a bell?

Basketball players breed basketball players!

Another insightful theory to my armchair scout book hehe.

16. Linde

Linde Member

His father, Joerg, played handball and his mother, Helen, starred for the German women's national basketball team

17. joe hoang

joe hoang Member

Kobe is clutch, as much as I hate tha mutha****a. Dirk got skills. no doubt. But he probably couldn't defend 1's 2's and 3's like ratface.

18. aexchange

aexchange Member

heypartner, you've brought absolutely nothing viable to this debate.

when kobe shoots poorly in the playoffs its because other teams are turning up the defensive intensity. but when dirk shoots poorly in the playoffs its because he's not a good player.

please. :rolleyes:

it would be tough, but i would take dirk because of his versatility and ability to play all three positions. dirk is only going into his 5th season, and so far has been able to markedly improve from each previous season. kobe on the other hand has the luxury of playing with a stud like shaq who because of his strength is constantly drawing double and triple teams. meanwhile dirk has to deal with the other loaded 4's in the western conference.

who is the best sg in the west outside of bryant? probably finley, maybe mobley or bonzi wells. the point is theres a huge drop off.

also this discussion about all defense is crap because the league is loaded with solid defenders at the 4 and 5 position. kobe plays a position where the best defender at the 2 is estrogen christie and bruce bowen. they arent going to get voted onto the all defense team where popularity reigns supreme. dirk plays with KG, elton brand, rasheed wallace, malone, and some slouch named DUNCAN who all play very solid D. dirk will never make all D, trying to play in the same league with those guys.

i wasnt going to chime in, but heypartners blatant case of haterade just irritates.

19. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

Personally I would go for Dirk I feel that when building a team he would be a good addition overall no offense to Kobe cuz he is one of the best in the league. To think of a big man with great range and dribbling skills would really help. He can improve his post moves and improve to b a better player overall. That is y I would choose Dirk.

20. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Kobe is a complete sell-out. He can't even participate for Team USA this offseason & he has no excuse for turning down the invitation, which should be considered a huge honor to represent your country. ( even if he was some Italian ties)