1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Wallace on Yao: we're gonna beat him up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 3814, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If Ben Wallace wants to be the second coming of Dennis Rodman, he should at least dye his hair red, white and blue to show some patriotism.:D :D

2. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

If they attack Ming like crazy, as you said, the coach of China will let Ming sit on the bench. The games at WC are more important for Ming, especially the game with German.

Yesterday, China team played a game with some college players at Denver. Bateer started at that game. China won 15 points. I will not surprise if they lose 40 points tomorrow.

Rudy's comment about the game with Canada, "At least five players of Canada team should be fouled out, and China should be given 20 free throws." (from Chinese media). Hope the ref of the game tomorrow is not that bad. (Rudy really likes Ming, IMO)

3. almostReady

almostReady Member

I think China will lose 40+ points, but Yao will play great and show those NBA second-tier or third-tier stars their butts are gonna be kicked hard very soon.

Now my question is what's the most amount of muscle one can put on in three months (before next season). I wish Yao can do that amount.

4. chewy

chewy Member

Big Ben and some of the other US players are jealous of all the attention and hype Yao is getting. They'll try to take their aggression out on him but hopefully Yao can hold his own and maybe gain some of their respect.

5. Matador

Matador Member

quintuple: having five units or members

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

If this year's #1 pick was a 7'5" 296lb center from Angola or Botswana then Ben Wallace would not proclaim "We're gonna beat him up pretty bad" and "welcome to our country. this is our playground." He would not threaten to be borderline dirty physical in an exhibition game.

All this no doubt stems from Racism & Ignorance on the part of Wallace and many other league players.

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Thug. That's pretty ghetto of Wallace to say things like that.

8. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

is yao really 296 pounds??? also, at the canada/china game...they announced him at 7'6"...but i've heard both. which one is he?

9. Monkey7392

Monkey7392 Member

I dont think Ming with have trouble taking Wallace defensivly, Hell I dont think MO Taylor would either. But I think Ming needs to throw down a slam on Wallace to get some respect. Also Wallace is probebly being racist saying stuff like we got to show the #1 pick this and that. What if it were JWill that were #1 he wouldnt be saying that crap to him. I think he is just scared of how good Ming will be and needs to tell himself that hes gonna bully him around. Cus in the longrun Ming will be the great player, not Wallace

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If there is any justice, Wallace just put a big sign on himself saying "Keep a close eye on ME!" for the refs. If he does much of that "borderline dirty" play, I hope he gets tossed. But Yao will have to get used to the physical play... it is the League, after all. Or it will be, soon enough.

11. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I've heard he's like 7'5 3/4, or something like that. In shoes, he's 7'6".

And everything I've heard has Yao at 296.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its typical talk and trash by players who hasn't been given respect, but its cool. I will go on record and say that if the sorry guards can get Ming the ball, he will be able to score with ease against anyone on the us team. David Robinson first yr he was pushed ,haggled and mangled all the time as a rookie, but he still scored because of his quickness and atheleticism. Ming on the blocks, can turn and shoot in Wallace,O'Neal, or Davis grill all day. Its almost like an uncontested shot for the most part. What is funny is how a guy that had 1 good yr is doing all the talking though. I really want to see how he will score on Ming also.

13. drago_ubc

drago_ubc Member

Bluff bluff bluff.

They better try to beat down on him while they can, because in a few years Yao will be dunking through them as if they were point guards.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yao will soon enough know what the nba game is like. its better that he learn now than during the regular season.

to ben-
    teach yao:

1. just how much he needs to hit the weight room
    2. go up strong on every shot, so he doesnt get blocked
    3. the impotance of rebounding!

15. redao

redao Member

#1 NBA draft is not a thing only relies on luck and hype. Ming got something. We all saw that.
    So I am confident for Ming's every game.

Ben just did a little trash talk. This is common when a big game is coming. Ben thought it was big......... I guess Yao Ming will do trash talk too. But only in the future NBA final series...

16. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Let's see. A bunch of heavy, macho dudes plan to lean on a smart, nimble 7'5" player with a thin torso and super long legs.

Guess who's going to spin on your big butt in one step and jam the basket while your mouth hangs open.

Lean hard, Ben. Lean hard.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Advice to Ming; if they start roughing you up, punch their lights out and get thrown out. Using martial arts would be prettly cool, not the "sissy" swings I commonly see in the NBA!

#37 solid, Aug 21, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2002
  18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Guys you are all missing the point. The game is under International Rules, as was the Canadian one! UNLIKE the NBA a lot of rough play is overlooked, for example in the China V Canada Yao was HELD, grabbed and pushed in a way, that no Sportsman of ability, should put up with, without FOULS being called. Yao obviously was not prepared for such thugish play. This might just happen again versus the USA on Thursday, but under NBA Rules one might expect Yao to get the FOUL CALLED. Ben Wallace is just jealous of all the Yao Ming hype and just hates the idea that a Chinese is about to go big time in the NBA.THis means as soon as Yao is established then Ben Wallace will be one rung down on the list of Shot Blockers.

19. totalexpert

totalexpert Member

I hope that Yao stuffs one down Ben's throat.
    Yao is todays Rocky.
    GO YAO!!!

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Ming should use his smarts and shoot from the outside where Wallace and Davis can't chase him and then go inside later on when the opportunity presents itself to score on jumphooks and dunks. He should challenge Davis,Brand and O'Neal by trying to alter their shots and go for the blocks only when he knows he can get the ball.Rebounding will require better positioning and Ming can get about 5-6 of them. He will need Bateer's help to reduce the chances of getting hurt but he will need to withstand the physical play on his own through most of the game.