1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[parents] Baby's First Haircut?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by the futants, May 25, 2010.

1. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I have a 17-month-old boy. His hair is getting a bit shaggy for his mother's taste. I suppose it's time to deal with this. I cut my own hair with clippers (buzz-cut style). My son has watched me with great interest a few times. However, when I try to get the clippers anywhere near him, he freaks the hell out.

What did you do for your kid's first cut? When did you do it? Professional route? Recommendations?

Thanks.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The Toys R Us by us (N. Austin) has a kids hair cutting place. Makes it easier because they have good ways of distracting the kid. They gave us a little package for the first hair cut.

When my oldest hit 2, I started doing his hair myself in the summer...clippers with a #4 or #5 blade.

3. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

My oldest son is 19 months and we just trim the bangs out of his eyes for now...takes two people though, with scissors so close to his eyes. Not sure when he'll have his first real haircut, I'm not quite ready to let somebody else use sharp tools around his face yet.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You must save the babe's hair from the first cut and on his 18th birthday, you will fashion that same hair into a ceremonial wig which he will wear at his coming of age party.

I don't have any kids, so I don't have any recommendations as to where to cut your hair, but we had the village priest come and cut our hair. He stored our hair at the temple for the princely sum of 2 USD per year until we were 18. I already mentioned this of course.

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We have a 14 month old girl and cut her hair at home for the first time the other day.

Baby girl looks like Randy Quaid from King Pin, but there is really no justice in that first haircut. Might be easier for a boy because you can cut it a little shorter.

6. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

my sis took her at the time 11 mth old to our professional salon we've been going to for years and got just her bangs trimmed. she wasn't affected at all by the scissors. she doesn't move much and was a good girl during the whole thing. :) but i know that is not every kid.

7. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

Just do it while they're sleeping

All of this "baby's first ______!" is a waste of time

You have bigger things to worry about, like making sure your child doesn't grow up to be addicted to crack or watching your Voltron dvd box set

8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Mrs bnb cuts our kids hair. She's never asked for help, and I haven't offered ;) . She used to strap 'em in the highchair to stop the wiggling. Plus it sort of looked like a barber's chair.

I'd think scissors would be better then a trimmer, as the noise might freak him out.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dry shave with razor....tough'n him up

1 person likes this.
  10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My wife has been cutting our daughter's hair (just trimming bangs) since she was about 18 months. She puts a kid's show on tv and snip snip snip. Using the high chair is also a good idea.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

When I was little we would get our hair cut at Kids Cutz in the rice village. They played disney movies for the youger ones and had N64s for the kids who were a little older. Idk how young they will cut hair or even if they exist anymore

12. cson

cson Contributing Member

We do my sons all the time. He's 4 now, we did his first one too. It won't work on all kids, but the secret for us is M&Ms. Oh, and handcuffs. :grin:

13. ling ling

ling ling Member

My son's first haircut was at 5 1/2 months. his 2nd will be at 7 months.

Easy cut for me.

Have the mom sit on the chair w/ a graduation gown on, to cover for the hair.

The mom holds the boy in her lap and cut away. Smile, laugh, talk, to ease the boy's tensions.

14. updawg

updawg Member

we did our daughters ourselves the first couple of times, just the bangs. She reminded me of Jim Carey in dumb and dumber after we cut them.

Now she is 16 mos and my wife just recently took her to a place to have it done (one of the kids type places)

15. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

my son enjoys them. My wife hypes him up and he sits still then looks down after the hair falls each time.

16. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

We took our soon to Cool cuts 4 kids (I think was what it was called). The lady was really nice and patient. My son, however, well he wasn't very happy.

His second haircut started the same--lots of tears and crying--but then towards the end he calmed down.

Just gotta get 'em through it.

17. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

Wife just gave our two and half year old her first cut a couple of weeks ago. Wife mainly just just trimmed our daughter's bangs since they were getting in her eyes. Our daughter's hair looks like she had the Lloyd Christmas special.

Edit: Just saw updawg's post. Guess it's not uncommon.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That's what SHE [suggested]. :eek: