1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lost Season 6 (final season)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by peleincubus, Jan 15, 2010.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Anybody else suffering from after Lost depression? There was always that excitement and anticipation of what was going to happen next in the show, but now it's starting to set in that it's over. There is a void in my life. I'm going to have to start doing drugs.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Well, the island being "purgatory" is one thing. That is what the producers were denying, and in my opinion still holds true.

The thing your talking about was just happened after all of their various deaths...some on the island, some off the island.

Still, with they way they denied going the purgatory direction in the beginning of the series you would have thought they would have never touched it with a 10 foot pole.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If you read my last post on the previous page and believe it, then it looks like the ending, with Jack entering the church and talking to Christian and moving on, was always the intended ending by creator JJ Abrams. If Damon and Carlton wanted to honor that vision (and it looks like they did), then it's not like they really made the decision to do the flash sideways that way. That's just what was handed to them by Abrams and they decided not to deviate from it.

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

count me in. this has been a part of my life since my wife was pregnant with my youngest son and we watched episodes together as she hammered chocolates. there was no ending that could make me happy, because i didn't want it to end.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, thanks for posting. That was definitely a helpful read.

In terms of answers, the mention of MiB influencing Ben on the island was kind of interesting. I think I've forgotten more Lost than I can remember. I'll have to go back to that.

I'm still not sure if I like how Michael is stuck on the island and Ben gets off.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

What needs to happen now is we need a new show called "Found". Maybe it's a new take involving the island, who found the island, its origins...a prequel. Just get an all new cast for the ancient people who first populated the island and good/evil story of how the cap came to be.

I think "Lost" can go beyond these actors...as good as they were...using the island as the backdrop once again...to further this storyline to more than what we got...given all the mysteries still surrounding the island.

Maybe...maybe no. It's worth a shot. :)

7. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Again for the most part, the open interpretation is there, except that the writers went out of their way to clarify that it wasn't a dream or purgatory.

8. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Thanks for that add. Its interesting hearing from the writers now. I hope more will discuss it now that its all done. Maybe we can get some idea what role they wanted Walt to play originally. I know that being greedy, but that's one I wouldn't mind getting.

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Same here... it's like a part of my life is over... I used to look forward to my fall/spring shows every summer after they ended... Lost was at the top of the list. :(

10. Major

Major Member

This is cool - except two pieces don't make sense:

If the goal was simply to kill Jack and company, Ben & his people had numerous opportunities early in the series. Why drag it all out? MIB could have simply told Ben to kill them all and be done with it.

Desmond, Penny, Juliette, and Libby weren't in season 1 or in the pilot. I don't remember everyone in that scene, but at a minimum, those 4 didn't fit.

11. Cannonball

Yeah, I think that the HAD to make a few exceptions. Libby and Juliet seemingly to be the most obvious since they decided to use them as triggers for the flashes of original Losties. I think the decision to use Desmond as the "mastermind" in the sideways led them to be in the church too although I suppose both he and Penny could have refused like Ben did.

Others raised the same issue in the DarkUFO thread I got it from.

12. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Remember, MIB was also trying to scheme to kill Jacob. Maybe he wanted to use the Losties to do that.

13. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

That's exactly right. The candidates were also a part of MIB's loophole. He needed them to a) cause the incident which caused them to crash to begin with, b) purpose for Locke to go after the O-6 off the island, c) the candidates to bring Locke's body back so that MIB could finish off the long con to kill Jacob via Ben.

14. Cannonball

One the podcasts I listen to theorized that when Locke had his first encounter with Smokey (in the episode "Walkabout") that Smokey was evaluating the survivors to determine who he was going to use as his pawn. When he scanned Locke, he knew he was a candidate protected by Jacob's touch. He knew that he couldn't kill him but he decided at that moment that Locke was going to be his pawn.

I think it's interesting to note that when describing the encounter, Locke told Jack "I've looked into the eye of this Island... and what I saw was beautiful." He later told Mr. Eko that what he saw was a beautiful bright light.

15. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

very good read. thanks. clears up a lot questions. sad to see the ending to possibly the greatest TV Show ever.

Dexter is going to seem even cheaper than ever after finishing LOST.

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Desmond, Penny, Sawyer, Claire, and Kate in all likelihood did not die on the island. Christian and Locke died off island for certain.

I will say, the Island is not a physical place on earth, is some sort of metaphysical nexus point. They moved on to "heaven", but the center of the island would seem to be the engine room.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Desmond was in the very end of S1. The other 3, like Aaron, I view as "props" for the Desmond, Sawyer, and Hugo....like David had been for Jack.

It is them, but it isn't. For example, when Jack's mom passed through....wouldn't she have Christian and Jack in her version of pre-heaven limbo? Just like there is no time there...I'd argue it isn't a singular reality to fit in all people. For another example, baby Aaron is there...but when he dies, would he appear there as an infant? Or would he have his own mini-world filled with people from his personal prime?

18. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Is there anyway you could post the link to where you got this from?

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the one thing I don't get in that writers recap that Cannonball posted is the same part that DCkid mentioned, about the MIB corrupting Ben and how it related to Dharma.

when did Ben ever have contact with the MIB outside of the times he was judged by Smokey? Linus seemed to know about what the Smoke Monster was and would describe it as a "security system."

he knew about the tunnels under the temple, and he had access to summon the smoke monster from his secret room. he was hip to Smokey's tricks, I'll give him that...

but how much of the Man In Black as a human actually came in contact with Ben and corrupted him? not much that we ever saw as an audience. never, in fact.

how was Ben doing the work of the MIB, when it was Richard who brought him to the temple to heal, after a time shifting Sayid shot him?

#1619 across110thstreet, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  20. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

As a non-religious person, this ending is kind of meh for me.