1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lost Season 6 (final season)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by peleincubus, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

You said it yourself, Desmond, Penny and Juliette are there. If none of that happened, why would they be connected at all? Because Jack and Desmond spoke for a minute while running in a stadium years earlier?

Also the Vincent thing was planned from the beginning. The creators had mentioned before that he was the only character/being that was guaranteed to last to the end.

Lastly, the eye thing is a reach, but I'll bite. If that were the case, why did he see the plane wrecking in the pilot, but it getting away safely in the finale?

I totally think a lot of things can be left to interpretation with the show, but this is one area I can't see how anyone can get anything else from.

Is this what Colombus felt like trying to convince people the world was round? :confused:

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Seriously? I mean, I know everything ended happy because of the awakening, but their lives in the alt-timeline certainly were not happy.

Sawyer - a cop still obsessed with finding his parent's killer
    Jack - divorced with a rocky relationship with his son
    Desmond - cleanup guy for Widmore
    Sayid - in jail for murder
    Kate - arrested for murder
    Claire - Single and Pregnant
    Charlie - drug addict
    Hurley - rich but lonely

I can keep going, but I think I'll stop here. A few of their lives were slightly better, but I don't think any of them were leading an ideal life. Some were even worse off. Like I said, a lot of those stories just were not even interesting to me in the first place, and then those stories pretty much just stopped when they awakened. So what was the point of them? To rehash the same lessons many of the actors already learned from being on the island? In fact, many of the characters in the alt time line never even really reconciled anything. I just didn't really see the point of the whole thing. They were just there and then had their awakening.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's my thought on how the flash sideway's / purgatory works.

Under the Many Worlds Theory any indeterminate quantum action results in multiple universes so the flash sideways was an actual result of a the bomb working and sinking the island leading to the plane never crashing. The non-flash sideways world the island isn't destroyed and things play out as previously.

For whatever reason we only perceive one quantum chain of causality so we only are aware of one reality from moment to moment while there are infinite realities yet we are not aware of them. The island exist at a point of quantum flux where even human perception can reach into alternate realities that is why some people can talk to the dead, or see into the future. These are just the ability to perceive an alternate reality where such and such isn't really dead or the events that seem like the future are just a reality where a similar causality chain has preceded at a faster pace. The island time travelling is really just it shifting between different realities where the chain of causality is proceeding at different rates.

Since the island allows, or endows, people the power to perceive different quantum realities, it gives them a certain ability to control and pick and choose how the reality plays out. The flash sideways is real but it is a reality that has been shaped by people from the island able to perceive and shape it with their own memories and it ends up being their own passage to heaven, the next reincarnation or whatever.

4. Entropy

Entropy Member

Some of the people who died on the island never got a chance to redeem themselves through their mistakes. This was their second chance to do so, and they were helped along by those who WERE able to redeem themselves in their lives on earth before dying. By the end when they got their moment of clarity, they found complete happiness, and thus were able to live out their ideal lives that they had when they were on earth.
    <p>
    Charlie was finally able to be with Claire.
    <p>
    Sawyer was no longer a criminal, was in fact a good cop, let go of finding his parent's killer, got reunited with Juliet.
    <p>
    Desmond got Widmore's respect and affection, instead of a life of failure, he had a life full of success.
    <p>
    Jack got past his daddy issues, got acceptance and love from his imaginary son which let him know that he was capable of being a good dad himself.
    <p>
    Sayid let go of his attachment to his brother's wife. His life was harder than the other's, but still better than what it was before.
    <p>
    Hurley accepted his wealth and used it to help people as he did with Locke. Instead of it being a weight around his neck, it became a tool.

5. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i wonder why aaron the baby was there in "paradiso". jin and sun's kid wasnt there as far as i remember.and why didnt ben go inside?

6. Entropy

Entropy Member

Aaron the baby was likely just there as a way to reconcile herself with the baby she never got to raise by herself. It wasn't the real Aaron, who likely grew up, got married, had his own life, etc.
    <p>
    Ben didn't go inside because of all the bad things he'd done in his life. While he helping Hugo protect the island as #2 for God knows how long probably went a long way in tipping the scales back into the side of good karma, which was why he was given the option of being with everyone else in the Church. But he still felt he had issues to work out, and he was probably reluctant to leave the happy family he was going to have with Rousseau and Danielle.

7. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Because they met in purgatory.

If it was planned from the beginning, why is it a reach? Its another layer to the story.

- Jack dies in the plane crash. This is before the show starts.
    - Jack opens his eyes. The show starts. Jack sees Vincent, who is the messenger of death and gate keeper of heaven.
    - Vincent leads Jack into purgatory.
    - Everything that happens to Jack and the other characters are trials in purgatory. Jack slowly earns redemption and becomes a man of faith.
    - Jack enters the tunnels of light - he is heading towards heaven.
    - Jack finds himself in the same spot he awoke. There is no explanation of how he got there.
    - Vincent lies down next to Jack. The gate keeper allows Jack into heaven.
    - Jack closes his eyes. Show ends, Jack is now in heaven.

I don't get what you are asking. The plane crashing was Oceanic 815 and the one flying away was the Ajira 316. In this interpretation it would not matter anyway since both events happened in purgatory. The plane crashing symbolizes their death and decent into purgatory. The plane flying away symbolizes their ascent in to heaven. Its no coincidence that those events happened at the beginning and ending of the show.

How can you believe in smoke monsters and not believe this is plausible. In fact all the fantasy elements make a lot more sense because they can be explained as happening in purgatory instead of reality. The writers obviously want the whole show to be left to interpretation. This interpretation is certainly valid. There are no holes in it. Both interpretations are valid, which make the show that much more impressive.

8. DCkid

I do think it's possible to interpret it the way you are saying with a few caveats, but the producers pretty much said it was not purgatory a few years ago.

http://televisionista.blogspot.com/2007/04/losts-cuse-its-not-purgatory.html

The producer insists the characters on the show are not dead and the island is not a purgatory. This has been said many times in the past, but with the latest revelation it was necessary for the producer to underline that adding: "If we did such a thing after repeatedly stating otherwise, we'd be tarred and feathered!"

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

So I am thinking now, would all of you guys be for or opposed to some kind of LOST spin-off? Do you guys think that a spin-off is even possible?

I would watch it initially, but there might be a strong chance that it is underwhelming. A show centered around Hurley and Ben would be a great way for the writers to answer all of the mysteries about the island. Theoretically we would also be able to see Kate, Sawyer, Claire, Miles, and Lapidus as they are trying to integrate themselves back into the real world. Maybe Walt and Aaron in their 20s somehow wind up back on the island. Maybe we will then find out why they are special, etc.

Series ends with Hurley and Ben dying.

10. Entropy

Entropy Member

Sure, why not. No scifi/fantasy show comes close to Lost nowadays anyway.

11. DCkid

I don't know. I think you're reaching a little on this. I mean, it's a theory. I still really don't see a cut-and-dry theme in the Alt Timeline like you're describing. It just kind of seemed like a mess to me.

12. Entropy

Entropy Member

There is nothing cut and dry about lost. Its all open to interpretation, so I could very well be wrong. My theory is just how I think it all went down. The theme in the Alt-timeline was redemption from their major flaws in their lives. For some it was more clear than others.
    <p>
    Ben chose helping other's over power for himself, had the chance to have a family with Rousseau and Danielle. John found peace within his broken body, and went on with life with the wife he never got to have. Jack was able to overcome his daddy issues, become a good father to his son. Sawyer became a cop, the opposite of his con-man life.
    <p>
    On the flip side, Charlie was still stuck in his mode of drugs and selfishness. He never got the chance in life to fix things. Claire was broken down and a complete mess by the time she left the island. She likely still had issues with being a mother. Kate too still had unresolved issues of being a criminal. Sayid still had issues with being a stone cold killer.
    <p>
    However, all four were helped along with an extra "push" by people like Hurley and Desmond who were able to find liberation in their earthly lives. If they couldn't help themselves, well then they would get help from their friends.

13. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

How did Penny end up there? I guess it is assumed that she died between Lost time and the finale's present?

14. Entropy

Entropy Member

Time had no meaning in the place where they were. Everyone dies sooner, or later. At some point in time, she died. It doesn't matter when.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The purgatory/sideways world is not bound by time. "There is no 'now' here." For the people we knew, they instantly went there when they died, regardless of when that happened on earth. And everybody dies at some point or another, so it's possible for everyone to end up in that world together even if they all died at different times on Earth. That includes Penny.

16. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

Absolutely, positively loved the finale! Left me breathless, cried-out, and brain-churning about the meaning of past episodes.

I was an "epiloger" but didn't see the "die and move on together" twist coming at all. Gives us lots to think about!

17. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i don't know how it couldn't be viewed as a kind of purgatory. they were stuck there and then moved on to another rhealm of dead ppl where they were all happy. maybe they didnt intend for it to be directly tied to purgatory but it seems that's what it was.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

overall, the west wing is still my favorite series of all-time, but lost is a 1a. what an outstanding finale. i kinda felt like the loss of a girl today though. it's so (relatively) depressing knowing i'll never "previously on lost" except in reruns. :(

19. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

The way you describe it, it's not really a spin-off.. but just a continuation of Lost.

A spin-off starts new with really no back storylines... one such possibility is that Hurley and Ben can jump around from place to place, helping different people solve their problems. Think Quantum Leap.

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Here's an explanation of the finale that was supposedly written by one of the writers.

Spoilered for length:

2 people like this.