1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets willing to pay cash to move up in the draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sanjaylucknow, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sanjaylucknow

Sanjaylucknow Contributing Member

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Sanjaylucknow

Sanjaylucknow Contributing Member

Sorry. I missed it.

4. Raven

Raven Member

The cash only part is very interesting. Just another reminder that Les is a terrific owner, who's willing to spend, when necessary, to improve the team.

5. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Hoopsworld
    hahahhahahahahahahahaah

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

This is bullsh1t. Hoopsworld is a joke. Name me one team that moved up into the top ten of a draft with just cash. How the hell would an organization even explain that to fans?

"Well, we had the 8th pick, but I really want to buy this new boat, so I went ahead and took a couple million from the Rockets and picked 14th instead"

I swear they just make up crap. The only way we're moving up is by giving up draft picks or Budinger/Hill.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

LOL I can imagine Morey walking into an office with suitcases full of money. :grin:

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

realgm and hoopsworld have got to be the two worst sources of NBA information on the internet, hands down.

Hoopshype in the other hand is awesome, read that site's rumors everyday.

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

RealGM's not bad if you understand how it works -- which is essentially just regurgitating newspaper headlines from across the U.S. The problem is you have to weed out the Hoopsworld crap they sometimes send out.. usually most stuff on RealGM I've found has had a good source behind it.

10. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

<hr>

Please link to the actual source (generally that's not RealGM)

<i>

This may seem picky to some, but this is starting to happen all the time. For NBA news, many start threads with links to RealGM as their source. RealGM is RARELY the actual source of the news... it's 4-5 paragraphs copied and pasted from a source that is cited at the bottom.

I have no problems with RealGM and feel free to mention you got it from there, but please link to the actual source. It doesn't seem fair they are getting links/credit/hits/ad revenue while the actual source gets none.

Good article about this type of problem...
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...9073102476.html

</i>

<hr>

Since the <i>originator</i> of the story picked up by <i>RealGM</i> doesn't have <i>Most Favored Web Site Protection</i> here, think before posting using either of those two web sites as sources.

2 people like this.
  11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think they mean the Rockets willing to pay money in lieu ofanother asset such as pick or player. Any deal to move up will require multiple picks. You could see the Rockets buying up 2nd rd picks and shipping them off in part of a deal. All this article states is what we already know...Rockets are willing to use all available resources.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Cash, without more, might allow a team to move up 1 or 2 spots, particularly when the team holding the higher pick end up getting the same guy they want all along anyway. It is highly unlikely to use cash alone to get from 14 to, say, top 5 or 6. I believe Portland traded 7th (Foye) + Cash for 6th (Roy) when they highjacked B.Roy from the Rockets that one year.

I also recall that PHX traded the 7th pick (Deng) one year to the Bulls for a future first (maybe + cash). This was back when the Bulls were horrible... I think the next year they ended up average and the pick ended up in the teens (and I think PHX traded that pick, too.... somehow I recall the pick ended up being Rondo).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.