1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Your Memory of Hakeem in 1986 Lakers Series

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Aug 15, 2002.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

crash,

Yeah, we've been in agreement from post one. That's a nice summary of Seattle's tactics. I agree, that it wasn't the doubles Akeem had to learn to beat, it was mixing them with triple teaming. He had to spot those triples before he turned into them, because that's when he'd get stripped by some surprise player he didn't see, or, at best, meekly recover and pass out of it passively only to have Seattle recover before the swing passes developed. Man, they had a fast rotation with tall defenders galore to get back out on our shooters....ugh.

so, can we settle the, who blocked Jabbar debate from earlier in the thread?

Nikos' article says Akeem got it in Game 2, but everyone else remembers Sampson. I don't recall. If Akeem got it, it was probably Walton-esque and more from the side (behind his back). You know how the sky-hook was so slow to develop.

2. ACL1

ACL1 Member

I am so glad somebody finally is with me in this one. I am all the way with you leebigez. That team had, could have had the frontcourt of the century, w/ reid, Akeem, and ralph. Only if it were not for the misfortunes.
    I also remember the block of the skyhook. I had a picture of it in my dorm room. From the angle it was taken it looked like Kareem's ball was at Akeem's elbow. And he had a smile on his face. Now I dont remember if that picture was from that series or a different game.
    Finally, I need to add this, that in 1988 when Kevin McHale was in the tonite show, or the Arsenio Hall, the host asked him if celtics had a chance of winning the championships again? He responded by saying that there is always a chance for everyone unless the Lakers manage to get Akeem.

Said it many times and I will say it again;

He was the greatest center ever.

If you don't believe that either you did not watch his everygame the way I did from1986-1999 ( missed may be five while in med school), or you are not a true rox fan deep down.

#62 ACL1, Aug 17, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2002
  3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think that the confusion of Ralph Sampson blocking the Kareem Sky Hook comes from the SI picture that said, "how does it feel to be 7'2" and just a little to short". I remember the picture since I had it hanging on my wall when I was in the army. Almost everyone says that it was Ralph blocking Kareem but I don't think that was it. I believe that it was a picture of Ralph, Dream and Kareem going for a rebound and the ball was on Kareems finger tips but Ralph was sweeping the ball ball away. I origanally thought that the picture was of Ralph blocking the shot but the more I think about it the more I think it was just a rebound. It was a great pic none the less.

If I am right about the picture then I feel certain that it was Dream that blocked the shot as it said in the recap.

4. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

To answer the thread question,

As a guy who has seen games 3,4 and 5 on tape before, I noticed that Hakeem's jumpshot had much more arc on them than in 1994 and 1995.

Plus, Dream was a fancy dunker when he first came in the NBA, I think he is one of the underrated dunkers in terms of style and flair. Some of his dunks were thunderous. (Watch the Hakeem the Dream video) and you will know what I mean.

Of Course hakeem did have a violent side in those days.