1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao must live up to this...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DavidS, Aug 16, 2002.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Wang ZhiZhi averaged 5.6 points and 2.0 rebounds in 51 games for the Mavericks last season.

Ok, I'm not worried. I feel that Yao will average 15ppg, 10rpg.

2. Stevie Francis

man of course he will, we will even let him start watch.

3. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

15points and 10 boards would be so great, and if Cato averages his norm of about 6.6 points and 6 boards or so, that would bring our center position to averaging about 21 points and 16 boards.

That wont "stop" Oneil, but it might make him work

4. aznlincolnpark

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I ask for 10 pts per game from Ming. If we get around 12-14 from Cato, then 10 will be more than sufficient. We are not a center oriented team, but our centers can turn us into contenders. Every little extra thing that Ming does is just a bonus.

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Don grahamleone:- You must live in a dream word if you think K.Cato is going to average 12-14 pts. a game. I wish to correct your statement! This WAS a GUARD oriented team and is soon to be back to a CENTER oriented team. It is only as a CENTER oriented team that the Rox have had any success.IMHO I know you think otherwise but just reflect on why is Francis so troubled about Yao Ming?Its because he realises there is a big change about to happen! Rox are going back to a dominent Center type game.It will not be in the traditional center method because Yao is a New Age Center- a cross between Center and Small Forward, he won't be an under the basket banger.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If Yao was good enough to be the go to guy on this team, that would be a very good thing. Problem is, we haven't seen the guy play in the NBA. Don't get ahead of yourself, Yao isn't Dream.

8. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you Don. Virtually every NBA type said Ming is a project. I think ya'll are kidding yourself that he will start. Except to please the fans, I'd be suprised if Ming gets more than 10 minutes a game for the first 40 games. And yes, I know we are thin at center.

9. writhe

writhe Member

If Ming gets more than 20 minutes a game for the first 10 to 15 games, it's only because Les is trying to hype him up (or somebody got a phone call from Mr. Stern). The guy is raw and there's no guarantee he'll be any better than Bradley.

You guys need to quit sniffing the glue.

10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Cato avg about 25 mpg last year, and he had Willis to back him up. I would think that he wouldn't go up to 30 or more. And I know that Yao is better than Collier, so he should get about 20mpg, at least. Not to mention he could end up better than Cato, so they may go higher. JMO on this.

11. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Awe,man! Pretty please! It just smellzzz soooo goood!!!

:D

He's better than Bradley. From what I just saw on NBA TV.
    I can bet you that tons of guys will try to block his shot, only
    to foul him on the elbow. Then, just go to the line a rack'em up!

This guy has got a SHOT, that for sure (skillz!).

12. xlr817

xlr817 Member

:) I think yMING will do just fine!! He has ALOT of potential, just like most of the rookies ever drafted in da NBA. I kno it will take some time 2 adjust 2da NBA..., JUST like most of da hi profile rookies 2 come out of the NBA... yup, just like SHAQfu....when he finally learned how 2b more of a post player, and not 2 just DUNK all da time!! PLus it helps 2 have HIS pet KOBE by his side!:cool: I personally like his shooting touch, HEIGHT, his fundamentals looks solid, :) and his attitude towards da game! I'm just really annoyed wit all this negative talk from alot of people ,...calling him a yMING BUST:mad: ..or ,yikes:( ...a Bradley or Bol!! HE HAS da MOST chance of making us all true ROCKETS fan proud since we drafted DA DREAM in 1984:) I'm SURE alot of people called him raw at da time too! .......just like alot of rookies.;) :) :cool:

13. RedRock

RedRock Member

15 pts, 10 rbs, 3 blocks ....The Rockets desperately need a defensive presence inside. If Yao proves to be this guy, we are in playoff contention this year.

btw, can anyone give me some free throw stats for Yao?