1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns to wear "Los Suns" jerseys to convey opinion on new immigration law

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScolaIsBallin, May 4, 2010.

1. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

personally I think they should just shut up and play basketball; nobody is paying for tickets to hear their political opinions. this whole politically correct nonsense is completely out of control and is ruining the country as a whole.

just to be clear here....all the AZ has done is make it possible for the local authorities to enforce federal laws that are already on the books and that the federal government has been unable to enforce themselves.....and this is a problem why?

all of this knee jerk reaction is over the top IMHO...

2. stq

stq Member

If you really think 1 million cheap labor will contribute more to this country than 100k well-educated Masters/Phd/Engineers, then pass a law.

Until then, they are Illegal, and should be treated as such.

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I thought they were doing this for Cinco De Mayo.

Guess I was wrong :rolleyes: again

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Or just don't devote as much resources to enforce laws that are not particularly useful. This kind of choices are made all the time. It's a fantasy to think the laws on the books get close to 100% enforcement.

And yes... as far as my life goes, the guy who picked the strawberry contributes. The "well-educated" Wall Stree VP, not so much.

Frankly, the ****ers passed the law to appease old white people who vote more often than the rest of the population mostly because they have nothing better to do. The law is popular among this group because old white people think they will never be affected by the law. Why do old white folks care about harrassing some brown people who are legally here so the police can catch some brown people who are not legally here?

1 person likes this.
  5. realmustang

realmustang Member

I just find it funny how the Republican leadership of AZ wants to blame the Federal Government for having to pass this law by not taking any action on immigration while at the same time, the Republicans in the Federal Government are the ones that are 100% opposed to any kind of immigration reform.

6. realmustang

realmustang Member

Wrong!! This AZ law will allow the Police to pull over someone like my father who speaks English with a very strong accent and is a Naturlized Citizen thus not required by this AZ law to carry any "papers" other than a DL, to be jailed until his immigration status is verified simply because the cop thinks that his accent is reasonable cause enough to detain him.

7. Crush

Crush Rookie

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Funny how a D&D thread in the Dish can give me a renewed appreciation for the intelligence of the D&D poo-flingers.

9. Southern Select

So when is illegal alien trafficker bobblehead night?

10. Day

Day Member

nice well thought out post based on sheer racism. Congratz to you for making it a race issue.

1 person likes this.
  11. Day

Day Member

I'll admit I haven't read the entire law but from what I understand your dad would have to be doing something unlawful and without his drivers license. Of course if they accuse him of being illegal the law gives him the right to sue the state.

I'm guessing you haven't read any of the AZ law.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You're looking at it from a government/official standpoint, as in who founded this country on paper. However, more than those guys contributed to founding this country and the country was on it's way to being "founded" before they got here. I doubt they simply arrived and found nothing but nature and invented and implemented everything themselves. No, they found others here and they had an unofficial part in building this country.

That being said, this topic is controversial because it's very easy and likely people will assume you're either 100% for or against illegal immigration. There's is a grey area though. Some only want legal immigration, some want any kind of immigration, others may not want any kind. I think the poster you replied to took offense because some posts seemed anti-immigration (of any kind). Then you assumed his comment meant he was for illegal immigration, which may or not be the case. Maybe he was just sticking up for immigration in general. You made it seem like only legal immigrants contributed to America, which is not the case. Maybe that's the ideal situation, but realistically it's not. Whether you are for or against legal or illegal immigration, that's the truth.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Thank you for proving the point i made on my last post. I never EVER said i was for pening the borders. I never said i was against it wither. I never let my position on that be known. You assumed I was for it simply because i made a comment against racial profiling and stated legal and illegal immigrants contributed to founding this country. So again, that's the problem here, people assume sayin no to racial profiling somehow equals "open the borders". Or that acknowledging a positive influence past immigrants have had (legal or illegal)on the nation equals being for for illegal immigration. Not always the case.

Personally I am not for opening borders. I realize the trouble it would cause for this country. At the same time though i dont have a "hate" towards those who come here illegaly because being mexican american i know why they come here and i see first hand the good things they can accomplish, but i realize what they are doing is illegal afterall. Its a tough position to be in when you are on the inside. Being on the outside looking in it's a lot easier to not be emotionally connected.

As for the new law, when some of you look at the protests you automatically assume all those people are illegals shouting to be legalized and for the borders to be opened. This isn't about opening or closing borders. It's actually more about the legal citizens, who just happen to look like a certain minority, especially hispanics since that's the larger minority in Arizona this law focuses on. I live in Texas, so it's not like i'm looking over my shoulder, but to think someone like me could be walking down the street, be stopped, detained, and arrest just because of their appearance or a language they spoke? That's racial profiling, period, and i can't believe anyone could agree with it. Maybe it's because it's only one state and for some it seems so far away. Maybe it's because you look "American" and feel no threat even if your state passed that law. But what about your best friend? A good neighbor, an old college buddy, your girlfriend even. What about an elderly person you really respect? All those people could be affected just based on their appearance.

14. Garner

Garner Member

yeeeaaaaa....but you don't have to prove citizenship to pay for tickets either; so, you have to make a point not to lose your market share.

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

This is pretty much what I've been saying. It's basketball... just play it. All this off the court bull **** isn't needed.

16. Garner

Garner Member

Because the white man is tired of being oppressed!

17. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

If the suns lose tonight in their los jerseys, it means that their political views on the bill is wrong. Must root against spurs.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I believe a DL is acceptable and usually it applies to those who are pulled over for another offense....BUT i think there's a part where "probably cause" is also enough to stop someone for it....so technically his accent could be probably cause. If he was walking to the store, instead of driving, and therefore didnt take his DL, then he'd be detained and arrested.

Of course most people can just carry a DL 24/7, but let's face it, how many times do any of us forget it or simply leave it thinking it's not needed? What about if you lost it and are waiting for a replacement? What if you just cant find it? Most of the time people will provide proof and they'll move on, but eventually some will get screwed over.

19. gambingo

gambingo Member

i thought this is the suns vs spurs thread.....wtf is all this other stuffs :confused: :confused:

but anyway GO SUNS!!!!!!!

20. gambingo

gambingo Member

oops....lol fail on me....wrong thread :p