1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Second round sleepers

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by jopatmc, Mar 26, 2010.

1. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Jermey Lin.

trollface.jpg

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Jarvis Varnado, long shot blocking PF from Miss St.

Jerome Jordan, any 7 footer that can walk has a chance in the league.

3. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Jerome Randle

The article above is really good,and here's another great quote:

SLAM: What’s next for Jerome Randle, and what are you doing to get ready for it?
    JR: I never looked at myself as going overseas. Never once, I’ve never though about it. And I never want people to mention that about me, because I feel like I don’t deserve to be over there. I feel like I’m a better player, I feel like I deserve to be in the League. Every time people doubt me, I feel like I do something to open more eyes. He did this, but he’s too short. He’s not strong enough, he can’t do this, he can’t do that. I win MVP at Portsmouth. That’s great, but still he’s too short. I’m doing all the things everyone is doing to get into the League, but when it comes down Jerome Randle, it’s a big problem.

So, I don’t know where I’ll end up, but I know where I deserve to be, and I’ll try to work over these next two months to try to get to where I feel like I should be. I really have a chip on my shoulder towards a lot of people. I like challenges.

I can’t get any taller, but I’m getting a lot stronger, working out with Tim Grover in Chicago. He’s teaching me a lot. A whole lot. I feel like I have a lot of people pulling for me, and a lot of teams are interested, but you just don’t know what they’re looking for. I’m just trying to be a smarter player to open eyes. I know I have one more hump to get over and that’s the personal workouts.

4. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Will Texas F Damion James likely to be around in the 2nd Round?

I think James is an undersized 4, but he can shoot the 3 and can rebound well for a dude his size.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great post... I suspect that Jerome Randle will be the second rounder we attempt to buy.

6. Chamillionaire

he can shoot the 3 and rebound well for a dude his size in college.

7. Chamillionaire

not impressed at all.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We need more height at the point. Mikhail Torrance at 6'5 210lbs would be perfect.

9. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I really, REALLY like Varnado. I love how he single-handedly neutralized UK's high powered offense @ the SE Conference playoffs.

10. valorita

valorita Member

Varnado the human fly swat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiUU-RcE_2g

kinda reminds me of a deke-light

11. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Mikhail Torrance is continuing to impress in all the workouts that he has participated in. SLEEPER FOUND!!

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I still want Macvan. He's the Euro Kevin Love. I want him with the Clips 2nd round pick.

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

How can he be the Euro Kevin Love when one of his weaknesses is rebounding? Rebounding is pretty much the first thing you think of when you think Kevin Love!

15. FullMetal Sage

Chase Budinger And Jermaine Taylor ;)

16. jopatmc

If rebounding is his weakness, then look out.

He's a fine rebounder. He creates his own space, extremely wide body and he uses it well. His weakness is one-on-one D.

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I admit I've never seen him play -- but the DraftExpress bio listed rebounding amongst his weaknesses.

18. jopatmc

Jerome Randle should be in the NBA. He's better than Boykins. I suspect he's better than Barea. I'd still like to see Morey bring this guy in as a backup PG if we trade Brooks.

19. A Kar

A Kar Member

Never, ever, never trust a thing that Draftexpress says about European players. It is a total hack site on just about everything it says about European players. Clearly, most of what it says about European players is totally made up to anyone that follows European basketball.

If you press the site about some of their numerous errors on European players they will admit that they actually do not watch hardly any European basketball at all and that they have not even seen most of the European players that they write about even play.

Macvan is a very good rebounder. That is actually the best part of his game. The fact that Draftexpress lists that as a weakness of his game is just one more example of what a total hack site Draftexpress really truly is on European basketball.

I have no idea why so many American NBA fans trust that site on European basketball when it is so egregiously wrong on about 90% of the stuff it writes about European players. Most European basketball fans literally just laugh at that site.

Anyway, although Macvan would be a good draft pick, he just signed a 5 year contract with Maccabi and the salary is high - $700,000 net income, as in he takes that much income to his pocket AFTER he has already paid taxes, per season, with his agent's fees also paid by his club.

That's like earning $1.12 million per season ($5.6 million over 5 years) with the Houston Rockets. Because the NBA salary is before taxes (gross income) and 35% of the NBA salary is then deducted, because unlike in Europe, all NBA salaries are reported in gross income terms and not in net income terms. Also, in the NBA players have to pay their agent's themselves, whereas the European clubs pay the agents for the players. Not to mention that the big European clubs like Maccabi also buy the players houses and cars, making the salary actually even higher than that as it compares to an NBA salary (NBA teams don't buy cars and houses for players).

And in joining Maccabi, Macvan now actually plays at the Euroleague level, instead of where he played before in the lower level Eurocup (where Allen Iverson is), so there is no reason for him to come to the NBA right now.

So unless the Rockets are willing to pay him somewhere between $5 million-$6 million before he has ever played an NBA game, Macvan will not be coming to them if they drafted him. Although he is a good player. I would rather have him on the Rockets than jopatmc's man-crush Wicky Scrubio.

However, the time to draft Macvan would have been last year, before he signed that big long-term contract.