1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Draft Day

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Apr 22, 2010.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Texans should consider trading their 2nd round pick this year and next to move up for Dan Williams or even Kyle Wilson....

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I like how you guys are rationalizing the pick based on what school he went to, like that means jack ****.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Rick Smith knows how to pick DBs so if he likes Jackson, he is probably damn good.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im content with the pick...we needed a CB much more than we needed a RB...much rather have Jackson than any RB, so Im happy with how this turned out.

5. plates300

plates300 Member

not really but if you watched alabama play all year, teams rarely threw in the direction of javier arenas, their other corner. jackson did a very good job in coverage considering he was picked on more than arenas.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I thought we'd at least trade down or get best player available (Dez Bryant)

Texans could have picked this 7 picks later...I don't know, wishful thinking.

7. BlackSombrero

BlackSombrero Member

Chasing a dream: Westside product Kareem Jackson waits for his NFL call

By MICHAEL A. LOUGH

It was one run, one simple 40-yard dash.

Kareem Jackson has run hundreds of them, from his days at Weaver Middle to Westside to Fork Union Military Academy in Virginia, as well as at Alabama.

The one in Indianapolis seven weeks ago at the NFL Scouting Combine, however, likely will make him a millionaire sooner than later, although he didn’t know it at the time.

He just wondered what the big deal was.

“To be honest, I couldn’t believe everybody was questioning my speed,” Jackson said, his voice still carrying a tone of that disbelief. “Once I declared, everybody was like, ‘The biggest question is his speed.’ I’m like, ‘Oh my God.’ ”

That official 4.48 — although several scouts clocked him at 4.44 and 4.41 — didn’t change any of Jackson’s skills at cornerback, where he started 40 games for Alabama in three years.

But it made him a first-round prospect in the NFL draft, which begins tonight in New York City.

“I knew if I ran a good time — which I knew I could, I’ve always been fast ...” Jackson said. “I just felt like I had to prove myself. I worked out every day with a chip on my shoulder. I had the opportunity to go to the Combine and prove myself and my speed.”

Mission accomplished.

Jackson rose on mock draft guesses, as well as in NFL war rooms. And he has faced a hectic schedule.

Since then, Jackson has traveled to Arizona, New York (to visit the Jets), Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Denver, Jacksonville and St. Louis. He has been visited by Cleveland, New England, Oakland and Chicago.

Jackson’s performance in the Combine even changed Alabama head coach Nick Saban’s view of the decision to leave school a year early.

Saban thought Jackson needed another year and didn’t think his veteran cornerback made the right call, especially considering Jackson was unlikely to be considered a first-round candidate.

And then came the attention-getting and image-changing time.

“I think that Kareem has helped himself a lot, by the way he’s worked out, the time that he ran at the Combine,” Saban told reporters a few weeks ago during spring practice. “If there was a question about him as a player, it was probably, ‘What’s his flat speed?’

“But when he ran a good time, I think that probably made the decision he made a good decision. If he wouldn’t have run a good time, it might have made it a bad one. There’s always a little bit of risk in this.”

Jackson still finds it amazing that his speed was questioned, considering he spent three seasons facing the SEC’s collection of superb athletes at receiver.

“All this man-to-man coverage we played and nobody runs past me?” said Jackson, who was his high school basketball team’s top defensive player as a senior. “I’ve always been fast.”

How is Jackson’s checking account balance going to change because of his 40-yard time?

Seattle picked cornerback Antoine Cason of Arizona at No. 27 in 2008 and signed him to a five-year contract worth $12 million.

A year ago, Vontae Davis of Illinois went to Miami at No. 25 and got $13.3 million for five years with $7.35 guaranteed. Cornerback Alphonso Smith went fifth in the second round and got $4.93 million for four years with a $2.15 million signing bonus.

So that 4.48 was worth maybe $5 million.

Jackson hasn’t investigated his future income potential, nor its improvement after that 40-yard time, but the mention of it did widen his eyes a little bit.

“I haven’t looked at that at all,” he said. “That’s crazy.”

The months leading up to the draft have led to a cottage industry in the past decade. The website dcprosportsreport.com lists links to more than 400 mock drafts and has updated more than 200 in April.

Google “Kareem Jackson” and “Alabama,” and there are 103 news links in the past week and 44,600 overall. A dozen or so of the 103 come from NFL teams’ own mock drafts, so Jackson is liked by, well, just about everybody.

But that means nothing.

“I have no clue at all,” he said about who is a favorite to draft him. “Everybody’s showing the same interest.”

All of this is a nice payoff for somebody who didn’t play defense in high school and appeared destined to walk on at a Conference USA school.

Colleges started backing off as he continued trying to qualify academically. National Signing Day came and went quietly, although Jackson remained in contact with schools. He said his grades were fine, but he was about 100 points short on the SAT.

Finally, Fork Union called. Jackson accepted and listened to Vanderbilt’s advice to move to defense.

He was reluctant at first, wondering why gaining 3,447 yards and scoring 46 touchdowns in three seasons for a good GHSA Class AAAA program in a football hotbed state didn’t earn him a chance on offense.

He came around.

“I knew I was a good enough athlete to play defense,” said Jackson, who said his GPA at Alabama was about a 2.7 and he was on track to graduate on time before declaring his NFL intentions. “Then I saw how the running backs take a beating, and being in the training room a.m. to p.m. I was like, ‘Awww yeah, I can play this corner, I can give those hits instead of taking them.’ ”

He qualified early in the school year at Fork Union and committed to Vanderbilt, but a visit to Alabama changed his mind. He enrolled in January of that academic year, and a few months later, he earned the Ozzie Newsome Newcomer Award.

Soon, he’ll be a newcomer on the game’s highest level.

“It’s an opportunity I’ve always wanted and dreamed of,” he said. “I’m not nervous now. I’m pretty sure when it’s time, I’m gonna be pretty nervous. But I’m excited.”

http://www.macon.com/2010/04/22/1102654/chasing-a-dream-westside-product.html

8. Mashing

Mashing Member

WE should trade back into the first round... and pick up our bruiser back in the 3rd.

Probably have to give up our 2nd and 4th pick. Although, we've hit home runs with our second picks the last few years.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Hmm...a corner that started the last 38 games for the Crimson Tide against top notch SEC talent versus a corner that played against Boise State's soft opponents or versus a corner that played against Rutgers' soft opponents.

This guy will be ready to play a lot sooner than the others, and was projected as a late 1st/early 2nd round talent. We don't have time to sit around and wait while Jacques Reeves and Antwaun Molden get smoked through the first six weeks of the season.

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

So, who is going to nab Dan Williams?

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think the idea is that Nick Saban is an excellent DB coach and that he is ready to step in and start from day one.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree. Not for a Back we can get in the 3rd though, but for Williams or Wilson.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Got one thing to say!!! Kareem The Dream Baby!!!

14. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

actually it does.
    [​IMG]

15. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

The school ITSELF might not matter, but the coaching staff that developed him surely does.

16. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I agree. Kareem Jackson played for the best coach in college football in Nick Saben who happend to have coached in the NFL for years. I like Wilson but the Texans liked Jackson more so they drafted him.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

What did the guys on the TV say about the pick?

He sure does

signed Antwuan Molden and Fred Bennet

18. Egghead

Egghead Member

The Packers just made out like bandits.

19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I'd love to trade to move up back in 1st round and get Dan Williams if possible..

20. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Based on what?