1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are changes even necessary?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by spysta, Apr 10, 2010.

1. spysta

spysta Member

Im just thinking about the rockets roster and it seems to me that no major changes are neccesary in order to grab a playoff spot next year. I really think Jordan Hill is going to be a great power forward for this team, there is nothing stopping him. He has the size, the rebounding ability, his footwork is also impressive especially for a rookie with some work in the offseason i think hill can be a top tier power foward. I think with Yao, Hill in the paint and battier/budinger and to a lesser extent ariza spreading the floor that is a good enough front court to be competitive in the west. With the backcourt of martin and brooks i think we have a solid core. The small forward position is the only position i worry about.

What do you guys think?

1 person likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rox still need a backup 5 or a PF with the height and size to slide over to the C spot.

As for the SF spot, keep an eye on the draft_Jan Vesely could be a beast for this team - Houston needs to keep adding more size & athleticism around Yao.

3. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

I think this is the problem.

4. elindio23

elindio23 Member

i think if we kept this roster + yao we would have an average + 50 win season. i think we'd also kick ass in the playoffs

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Yes. The Jazz will get a high 1st round pick. The thunder will get better as their young guys continue to improve. Maybe Portland is more healthy next year, and lets not even mention the lakers.

We need to get another all star player.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The team needs a true backup C. We still have problems with bigger lineups and that needs to be solved.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The Rockets need a legitimate star on this team. We have a bunch of good players, but none of them are great.

Also, 3/5 of our starters are horrible defensive players. Package Brooks, Scola, and a pick for Bosh, and we have a team that can advance far in the playoffs.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yao healthy, Scola, Hill, Chase, Martin, Brooks, and Lowry is a solid playoff rotation foundation. Artest and Battier should be fighting for a wing spot assuming Chase improves enough. I don't see Chase starting next season as he may not be best with Martin.

I think Rockets need more pop in starting lineup. PF is most talked about upgrade. I see Rocks drafting PF unless they get Turner or Johnson (unlikely unless trade up). A wing that plays o and d may bee best place to try to upgrade. I still like Iggy. Philly wants a young asset. Rocks have Llull, Taylor, and picks that may get him.

If the Rocks get a Bosh or Amare, I won't complain. Those guys will require sweet talking though and the opposing team willing to accept Rocket trash contracts to match.

9. Francis 4 ever

Jermaine o'neal is the missing piece imo

10. sefril

sefril Member

ariza.

11. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

bring in camby as a backup C and i think we're one of the deepest teams in the league. i'm really wavering on shipping scola/brooks/pick for bosh or amare... i think a scola/hill platoon can be very effective, and hill is showing some serious promise. and brooks - i mean, c'mon! the guy is performing near an all-star level. with a back up C like camby we would be legitimate 2-deep at every position.

that said, as much as i love having battier on this team, packaging him and some other assets for an athletic SF that can defend and take it strong to the basket... very tempting.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Thank you!

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Scola, Brooks, Hill for Bosh is too much for a sign and trade.

14. RocketMania1991

Yes changes are necessary, the team is good but you always are looking to improve.

This team might be capable of a deep playoff run, but the Lakers are still a great team and who knows after this off-season which team will improve.

15. bucket

bucket Member

If the Raptors could be convinced that Bosh would leave on his own without a sign-and-trade, it might be possible to convince them to take much less than that. Rashard Lewis went to Orlando in exchange for a conditional second-round pick. Of course, the salaries have to come close to matching, don't they? I'm not sure how we can put together 15 million or so in contracts without trading some important pieces.

16. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

we need more strength, but fast strength, if that makes sense. it would be nice if we had a fast, strong back up center so we could runn like crazy with the 2nd team. even someone built like bo outlaw or carl herrera. lean and mean.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Changes? No, just draft a good center, which is what it sounds like we were going to do anyway.

Other than that I would be perfectly content with what we've got next season.

18. blink

blink Contributing Member

if that's all you want, then sure. just dont go around the boards, deluding yourself, that the rockets are contenders, like so many posters on this forum. if we want a shot at the championship, we need to make changes.

19. HOUSTONROCKETS5

IS not about making the playoffs, I think every one knows with Yao back, we can make the playoffs...

Its about going deep into the playoffs, by deep I mean Western Conf. Finals and beyond, and the current roster can't do that!

Plus Morey constantly says that the team is always looking to upgrade.....

20. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

you must be a raptors fan, i would not trade brooks or scola straight up for bosh, what has bosh ever shown as far as defense, the raptors cant even make the playoffs in the east

to whoever brought up JO i agree signing jermaine oneal would be great for this team, size length and strength if we could get him for the mle we would be set, if not him maybe marcus camby would fit...