1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Damon Jones might find a home in Cleveland

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HotRocket, Aug 7, 2002.

1. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

This guy was my second favorite player from the summer leagues of last year (Eddie was my favorite.) Im glad he will have a chance to start for a team that actually wants him.

Cavs interested in former Piston Damon Jones
    Added: 7th August, 2002

Bob Finnan of the News-Herald reports that the cavaliers may be close to acquiring a point guard to fill Andre Miller’s shoes. Cavs coach John Lucas met with the agent of 6-foot-3, 185-pound Damon Jones on Monday night in Houston.

"It was a good meeting," agent Lamar Holt said. "John has shown a lot of interest in Damon. John, Damon and myself will meet again (today). Hopefully, next week we'll come (to Cleveland) for a visit."

Holt said Jones is seeking a two-year deal, but the Cavaliers are probably offering only one. We'd like a two-year deal," he said. "We're hoping. It's open for discussion."

Jones was left out of the mix in Detroit when they signed Chauncey Billups away from the Timberwolves. Jones averaged 5.1 points, 2.1 assists and 16.2 minutes in 67 games for Detroit last season. He shot 40.1 percent from the field and 37.1 percent from the 3-point line.

"For what John is looking for, he's ideal," Holt said. "From the guys left on the free-agent market, he's the guy they are looking for. I don't know when something is going to happen. He can really shoot the '3.' That can put him over the hump on that team. Darius (Miles) will draw a lot of double teams, which will create a lot of open shots for other players."

2. Stylez

Stylez Member

DJones is a solid player and I thought he was better than Tierre so I hope he gets a chance to show his skills w. more PT in Cleveland this year.

3. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I hate that Houston just sorta brushed him to the side when he was clearly the better backup for moochie. (though I do like terrie as well) I'm sure if he had been given a chance to play for the Rockets, he may have helped us a bit more when Steve went down. Maybe enough to get us into the playoffs.

4. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I don't think Damon Jones could've gotten us (a team with what was it 28 wins?) to the playoffs. He was better than Tierre but he wanted a contract that was much higher than Tierre's.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Damon Jones must be losing sleep for not beating out Tierre last year. Just think of all those minutes Jones would have played last season in Houston as a backup to a backup.

6. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Near the end of last yeaqr's summer off season - DJ had a long and comfortable talk with the Rockets, including RT and CD.

Essentailly, the Rockets wanted him and offered a contract but RT was totally frank and professional ... telling him he would probably only get sparse duty here. DJ appreciated the frankness and the "class" of RT and the Rockets.

Damon wanted to chance a hook up with any other team that would give him a better slot (#2 depth), declined the contract.

CD did some calls on his behalf and gave a couple of GMs some unsolicited rave (& truthful) reviews of DJ.

DJ hooked a slot.

7. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

That makes me respect the Rocket's front office. Although I didn't hate them before, I really like them after hearing this.

8. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

They did the same kinda thing with the Bull, talking him up to the Hornets.

Man, I miss the Bull.