1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Yao mulls contract status, considers free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drew_Le, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I would give Yao 3 year 30 Million if he wanted to opt out and sign a new contract right now.

Personally, I think the injuries will continue, he is just too big. BUT, I think we will get some run out of him. Signing him to that deal (3 years 30 mil) I am thinking we will get about 1.75 seasons from him and hopefully health for 2 years of playoffs.

Yao gets 30 mil instead of 18 and the deal runs for 3 years. Considering that we have paid him quite a bit when he wasn't on the court, I think this would be a good option for both parties.

2. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

ESPN has Yao listed with an ETO (early termination option). Other players, like TJ Ford are listed with a P (Player Option). Can someone please explain the difference?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Player option means the player can CHOOSE to take the next year's money and stay on the team.

The ETO is where a player can terminate the contract.

DD

4. nolimitnp

Wouldn't a player essentially be terminating his contract if chose not to invoke the player option? Its a choice either way isn't it?

5. nolimitnp

Nevermind, a little googling never hurt anyone.

Here's a summary of the differences between an option and an ETO:

* Options can occur only when one season remains on the contract, while ETOs can occur when two seasons remain if the contract is for six seasons.
    * Options can be included in any multiyear contract, but ETOs are allowed only with five or six year contracts.
    * Options can be held by the player or the team, but ETOs are always held by the player (i.e., there's no such thing as a team Early Termination Option).
    * Option years may not have a lower salary than the previous season. ETOs have no such restriction.
    * A contract with a player option can be extended when the option is not exercised. A contract with an ETO may not be extended if the ETO is exercised.
    * When determining the amount of a trade bonus (see question number 85), option years are not counted as part of the remaining value of the contract, but years following an ETO are counted.

Found from NBA Salary Cap FAQ

1 person likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I totally agree, they seem pretty much equal, there is probably a reason for it being called something different though, and it more than likely has to do with the CBA etc.

DD

7. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I hope Yao opts out to sign a cheaper deal.

If we are able to sign another name because of Yao taking less money now, It could really put the Rockets near the top next season, assuming we get a free agent here...

8. nolimitnp

Me too. $9 million over 3 years with team option for a 4th seems fair to me. I don't want to lose Yao, but I don't want him inked to a long term deal either. I'm just not confident in how long his body will hold up.

Its hard to see anyone leaving $17.7 million on the table though.

9. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Everyone knows Yao wants to win, and I think the best way Yao can go about this is to opt out for a cheaper deal, sure he is leaving 17 million on the table, but the chance of the Rockets winning a championship is the price of losing 5-7 Million this season...

Maybe he doesn't see it that way, but I hope he does!

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I wish we would have known Yao would have opted out earlier. We could have had some cash to throw at a free agent this year if we hadn't have done the trade.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The only difference from my understanding is that on a player option you have to send paperwork to the league office by midnight of June 30 letting them know you intend to exercise your player option for the coming season. I forget what player forgot to do this a few years ago but he was basically a spare with a huge contract and cost himself a lot of money.

An ETO is just the opposite. If you want out of your contract then you have to notify the league by midnight of June 30th that you want to exercise your ETO clause. If not, then on July 1st your contract will continue for another season.

12. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Anthony Carter... His agent paid him the difference of what that mistake cost him.

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I thought that was Bonzi.....

14. Fierguard

Fierguard Contributing Member

Anthony Carter Miami Heat

15. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

if my memory doesn't betray me, les was labeled a cheap owner and didn't want to spend money on rox on this board. i didn't believe he is by then but now i do. how can he not be cheap if his team fans are even cheaper? :eek:

stop complaining if mega stars do not want to come here. les is not the issue. the problem is rox fans.

16. hotpotato

hotpotato Member

I do believe it's a distinctive possibility if NJ can't get Lebron and Rocket wouldn't offer an max contract to Yao.

Should that happen, I will fault neither Yao nor Les. As Don Vito Corleone famously put it, it's business, not personal. They are just looking out for their own interests.

17. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Thanks...

I stand corrected.. I know Bonzi lost some money from a contract in some ordeal... Can't remember what it was.

18. ralphacy

ralphacy Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_3RsXOJHRUw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_3RsXOJHRUw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Bonzi decided to try free agency based on his play-off series against the Spurs when he was with the Kings. As I recall the Kings made an initial offer to Bonzi but when he did not take the deal right away the Kings picked up John Salmons (I think) and decided not to extend Bonzi a big contract. The Rockets swooped in signed Bonzi to a one year deal for what they thought was a bargain basement price. When Bonzi did not play well that year he signed with the Rockets again at a bargain basement price with the belief that being re-united with coach Rick Adelman (after replacing JVG from the previous year) would bring out the best in him. It did not happen and Bonzi probably lost millions on what was likely a multi year offer from SAC.

That is how I remember it.

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He turned down a contract on the order of 5 years, $40m from the Kings, hoping to get more money. The Kings then took the offer off the table, and the best he could do was a 1 year, $2m contract with us.

He of course then showed up with a bad 'tude and out of shape and the rest is history...