1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could getting Lewis lead to problems in the locker room??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by j-bone, Aug 8, 2002.

1. j-bone

j-bone Member

Guys, I am a fan of Rashard Lewis, but I'm like many of you when it comes to the money issue. I don't think Rashard is worth 70 million bones. Besides, let's just say that he gets this type of money out of the Rockets via sign and trade. Don't you guys think that Cuttino would be one upset brother. I mean I don't think Rashard nor Mo Taylor are better players than Cat and Cat has done more withing the orginization than both of those guys. So just imagine if we got Lewis via sign and trade, meaning we trade Mo Taylor. That would mean Lewis would be making 70 mil, Francis making the max, Ming would steal most of the popularity from Mobley, and Mobley's not even making over 40 mil. He should have som type of bird rights now shouldn't he? I mean if I was Mobley and I look around the locker room and there is only one player (Francis) who is better than me, possibly two (Griffin, depending on potential), and I'm not in the top three in salaries then I'm pissed. Besides, he has been loyal to the organization by taking less to stay. What are your thoughts on that.

2. Rockets2003

Rockets2003 Member

I don't think it will cause that much problems. I think that Cuttino is one of the least selfish players in the entire NBA. I just think that he would be happy with any kind of trade or signing that would help us into the playoffs. Plus, Mobley was not the same kind of player he is know when he signed his deal. If he was up for extention know, he would definetly get more money than he is currently making. So, I do not think that it will cause that major of a problem.

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I don't think Taylor is making $70 million. It's more like 48, isn't it? If the Rockets can somehow work out a sign-and-trade, they would just offer whatever Maurice is making. If Lewis won't agree to $48 million for the chance to come home and be close to his family and friends then that's his choice, but I really don't see him turning that down. Besides, if Cat wasn't upset with Mo Taylor getting the money, why would he be upset with Lewis getting the money? He knowingly turned down a better offer from the Raptors to play with the Rockets, so he really would have no reason to be upset. I want Rashard, but it would be for no more than $50 million.

4. j-bone

j-bone Member

I'm pretty sure that the rockets would probably throw in Glen Rice to make that deal work also.

5. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

I propose that the moderator close all threads that deal with Rashard Lewis! this is pitiful:rolleyes:

6. TexasG

TexasG Member

You guys don't honestly think the Sonics would accept Mo Taylor for Lewis do you? I understand they want to get something in return (instead of having Lewis just walk) but Lewis is worth more than an overpaid PF who doesn't rebound, and is comming off a major leg injury.

My guess is that any sign & trade would start with Mobley. The Sonics have Desmond Mason who played some SF, and is probably a better SF than SG. That would leave them with a hole at SG.

Remember trades have to work for both teams, and Mo Taylor would not be a good fit in Seattle. They are trying to build a young team, and even though Taylor isn't too old I wouldn't consider him that young. Plus how is he different than Baker (other than the fact that Baker actually rebounds, and Taylor doesn't)?

Try to keep it realistic, you have to give up something to get something.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It had "Lewis" in the thread title. Why did you post in it (sending it back to the top), or even open the thread in the first place? The only thing worse than threads on tired subjects are tired criticisms of tired subjects.

I was against Mobley signing his lowball contract for this (and so many other) reasons. It is never good to have someone paid something other than what he is worth. Even so, the Rockets can't afford to compare everyone to Mobley's salary whenever they make a trade or sign a free agent.

Mobley and Lewis were put in a bad spot by the CBA and had to choose between security and potentially greater riches. Mobley chose security; Lewis chose greater riches. Mobley is stuck in a lowball contract. But Lewis is running the risk of missing the riches he decided to gamble for. Lewis can take Seattle's offered contract and come out slightly ahead of Mobley. Was it worth the extra risk (of injury or suckiness or a betrayal by management) he took to get to this position? Mobley may be thankful that he doesn't have to deal with the uncertainty that Lewis now faces.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

If Cat can put up with Cato, Rice, and Mo, then he should be able to put with Rashard. Rashard would be overpaid at aroun 70 mill, but not as badly as the 3 I listed above.

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

The difference here is that neither Rice nor Cato nor Taylor will keep Cat from getting his when it's time to renegotiate. Lewis will. Rice'll be off the books by then and, if we don't add another 10 mil+ player (like Lewis), there will be money for Cat. If we do, there won't.

No way do I trade Cat for Rashard. At best, it's a wash. At worst, a downgrade.

I'd prefer not to do Mo for Rashard either, unless we can get out from behind Rice's contract into the bargain. But Mo for Rashard is at least fair.

I like the idea of Mo and Rice for Lewis and Barry, though I doubt Barry wants to go back to the bench. But if he did...

Francis, Norris
    Cat, Barry
    Lewis, Nachbar
    Griffin, Thomas
    Yao, Cato

That trade won't happen, but what a sweet lineup.

10. TexasG

TexasG Member

Maybe for the Rockets but not for Seattle. I doubt Seattle trades him unless it benefits both teams. Lewis is only 22, has huge upside, and is not injury prone. Taylor is already in his prime (maybe even past it), is comming off a major injury, and doesn't rebound. How is that fair for Seattle?

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Mo is not injury prone either. His injury could have happened to anyone. And Rashard's coming off an injury, too. But they both seem to have recovered nicely. Also, Rashard hasn't averaged that many more rebounds than Mo. I know they play different positions, but they fulfill basically the same function -- instant offense, sweet jumpers, not a lot of defense. Add in the fact that the Sonics like Mo, have pursued him before and that they don't currently have a starting four. Plus, taking Mo in the sign and trade would basically eat the amount of cap they're offering Rashard now.

They're also in the weak bargaining position here. Doesn't have to be straight up even value, though I think one could argue Mo and Rashard are even. If they don't do a S&T, he might go to Dallas and they'd get nothing. Regardless of what the Mo bashers on this bbs think, Mo and his contract are better than nothing. None of this means they'll take just any trade, but they like Mo and they'd be better off with him than without him.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Just like Kemp,Pippen,and Sam Cassell, Mobley took stability over flexibility. No one forced Mobley to sign for 6 or 7 yrs without an out clause. He and Rashard signed the same yr, but Lewis signed for a shorter deal. People were upset when it was rumored Francis might only sign for 3 yrs or have an opt out clause. Personally, I thought that would be great from both ends because in 3 yrs if he still hadn't learned to play point or have increased migraine's, we wouldn't be stuck and from his point of view, the cba will expire in 3 yrs and who knows how the new cba will be structured. If Mobley would get mad, he should be mad at his agent or himself for signing long term.

13. TexasG

TexasG Member

Radmanovic(sp?) is currently their starting PF. I understand that Taylor's injury could have happened to anyone but fact is that it happen to him (not just anyone). Also his injury was not as minor as Lewis'. An achillies tear is very serious, and will no doubt cause limitations on Taylor's lateral movement (not that it was that good to begin with). They both average about 7 rebounds but getting 7 rebounds at the SF position is a huge difference than getting 7 rebounds as a PF. Also realize that in a sign & trade Lewis will be making about $90 million for 7 years so he would definately be counted on for more than just instance offense off the bench. I wouldn't expect him to sign for less than the max. That'e the whole reason Lewis is in this situation because he wants to get paid max money. If he can't get paid max money then he wants a short term deal in order to get a shot at the title. Realistically the Rockets have no shot at the title this year or next.

For what it's worth I think he will end up resigning in Seattle.

14. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

If Rashard decides he really wants to come here, he could bluff and say that he'll sign here for a hometown discount and take the MCE. The Sonics would then reluctantly have to accept a sign and trade for Mo Taylor because without Rashard, they'd have no remnance of a front court. It's a longshot, but definitely possible if Rashard decides he wants to come home.

15. markmadsen

markmadsen Member

texasG

mo is young = 25
    mobley is almost 28,

lewis is extremely injury prone,nearly every year he complains about something

this year he nearly had his arm torn off and no one touched him(its still not heald btw)

mo averaged 17/7 and got 48mil over 6
    lewis wants 90mil over 7

who is overpaid? lewis

the mavs dont have a shot either

if you think raef and finley and najera and dirk can shut down kings,well,you proved my point

didnt the rockets blow out a healthy mavs team out of the building last year by 30 points?WITHOUT ming,nachbar,taylor,improved eddie,

if lewis and mavs fans think the mavs are close then they are both stupid

yeh,maybe the rockets arent close either,but lewis loves the rockets more,ALOT more,

the ONLY reason he is even considering cubans offer is becuz cuban is doing illegal under the table deals,otherwise lewis would chose mce with rockets over mavs

in the end ,lewis will settle with 60 mil from seattle and cuban can go back to whineing to refs like a spoiled b**** that he is

im tired of seeing cubans dumb looking face on the sidelines

he thinks he is in the band "cure"

mavs = trailblazers

plenty of talent on paper,but no defense and no chemistry

#15 markmadsen, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2002
  16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

When did Mo avg 17 and 7 for the Rockets? If i remember, he barely beat out Mobley for 3rd place in rebounding the yr they won 45 games.

17. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Mo averaged 17 and 7 for the clipps his last year. Maybe he meant Mo could avg that or better? I think he could avg those or better. He got more mpg in LA, also.

18. TexasG

TexasG Member

Exactly, and yet I'm the one who's wrong.

You should get your facts straight before you start calling people stupid because you (markmadsen) are the only one who comes off like a know nothing idiot.

19. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I think it's a great question...remember Cat passed on a mint from toronto to stay here and play with Steve, now maybe Steve is tripping with management about MUCH more money.

For those of you that have not met him, Cat is a great guy. Although a concern, I wouldn't think it a great one because of his personality.

20. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Member

LMAO do u know how ignorant u sound? If any fans of NBA Teams are on this board please ignore these comments not all Rockets fans are like that. Yea we beat mavs by 30 p oints but Mavs made the 2nd round in the playoffs 2 straight years and comign form a 40 game winning season so witht hat being said we can really say much our selves all we can do is HOPE to be good while Mavericks know they are gonna make the playoffs and especially if they sign Lewis. Could Lewis sign with Rockets? I doubt. Could he resign with LEwis for 60 mill so his mom can miss out on him playing for 7 more years? I doubt. Now if he some how gets a 90 mill deal which no he isnt worth then he will resign with Sonics. But if u ask me Sonics would just do better off letting him go and sign a even bigger free agent next season.