1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The New and Improved Trevor Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by petechillcutt, Mar 22, 2010.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The dude in the front with the dark, striped dress shirt right after the first dunk is my homie. He is known as Triqsta on here.

2. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

he has no quickness, and that's a bit part of athleticism, especially in basketball.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Quickness? man, you need to get your eyes checked. He's quick enough to snatch steals in passing lanes?

He may not have a quick "first step" on offense but I dare you tell any NBA scout that Ariza isn't quick.

come on son.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Ariza has been better lately, but he still needs to stop giving up open dunks/layups when he gambles on steals.

5. plates300

plates300 Member

couldn't have said it better. ariza gambles a bit too much sometimes. all nba players gamble but the good ones pick and choose their spots. the way ariza goes about it, he leaves the entire defense open. if you're going to gamble for the steal, the least you can do is have another man in position to help if you don't get the steal. I really can't complain about anything else he has done since the all-star break. he is fitting his role perfectly minus a couple of bone headed shots.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

A few dunks and you think he is athletic? How can you not dribble a basketbal and still be athletic? Coordination and quickness has a ton to do with athleticism, he has neither.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Brewer scores 9.8 points on 7.8 shots per game (as opposed to Ariza's 15.1 points on 14.3 shots per game). Huge advantage Brewer in terms of offensive efficiency. I won't compare field goal percentages between the two as it's laughable. BTW, Brewer's rebounds and assists per minute are nearly identical to Ariza's yet Brewer's turnovers per minute are significantly lower. The only clear advantage Ariza has is his three point shooting but considering they are both horrible yet Ariza jacks up almost SIX a game while Brewer shoots less than one three a game you have to wonder if it's really an advantage.

As far as Affalo, he scores only 9 points but he does it on seven shots per game. His assists and and rebound numbers don't stack up to Trevor's on a per minute basis but he is a more consistent defender and absolutely blows Trevor out of the water on offense.

I'm starting to wonder if some don't understand that a poor shooter taking a lot of shots is a bad thing. Try to look beyond PPG and check out MPG, FG% and shots per game.

And again, so what if Brewer is on a rookie contract? So is Scola, Lowry and Brooks. You trying to tell me Morey couldn't get a young player at the wing position for a similar price?

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

His quickness is average for the position but the length of his arms is freakish. That's why he gets all those steals. That and because he doesn't play honest defense much of the time.

9. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

lol I swear, every time I watch Ariza defending off ball, he looks bored. Then all of a sudden he gets a steal out of a no where. He tricks you into thinking he's not paying attention :p

10. Cowboii

Cowboii Member

I'd rather have Ariza then Artest, Brewer or Affalo.