1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

West Nile Alert

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by austinrocket, Aug 8, 2002.

Tags:
  1. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

Just a quick warning.
    Dead birds are known to be carriers of the West Nile Virus. Another chick has died so watch out. It could be in the proximity of the Los Angeles area.

2. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

Woops, didnt realize the reference to Chick Hearn

3. TexasG

TexasG Member

Two people in the Dallas area have contracted the virus. One of the ladies lives about 5 minutes from my house.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm sure this thread will be moved soon, but just wanted to mention that they found a dead bird with it in Austin. My son is allergic to insect repellent. :(

5. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

Sorry for the ill timed joke about Chick Hearn.
    I just couldnt resist given the recent problems and the first name.

6. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

That was a joke?

It's one thing to accidentally do something like that...It's another to do it on purpose, even if you do acknowledge that it was ill-timed later.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Whats the big deal about the WNV? You have a better chance on contracting aids than this.

I live in South Louisiana ... I go out w/out worrying about it. If your old or really young, then yes, you need to watch out.

8. lpbman

lpbman Member

This virus has only been in the country 3 years
    just because it is rare now, doesn't mean it can't explode

what would happen if Louisiana got 20 inches of rain from a tropical storm or something... mosquito populations can rise VERY quickly

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We've had an unusually wet summer in Austin, and the mosquitos have been pretty nasty. WNV is bad news. I remember reading years ago about the scourge it was in the Nile basin. I never thought it would get here. What's next? Strange how things have been popping up in new places as the world get's smaller.

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought that they just did, or at least had a psudo-stropical storm anyway...

From what I've been able to gather, West Nile Virus really quite a bit like St. Louis Encephalitis, which we've been exposed to for more than 100 years. I'd expect that it probably will become an anual menace of equal porportions.

What'd really be bad would be an outbreak of something like Crimean-Congo Hemoragic Fever, like they've had in Iran recently. That's one bad mofo, from the same school as Ebola (i.e. in the final stages, you basically leak blood from every avalable orifice. Talk about a nasty death.)

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Damn man, that's scary. I just watched Outbreak again the other day. Friggin' monkey could take us all out.

12. Stevie Francis

that won't happen, a monkey will never kill us.unless its a Saiyan. Anyway i get bit 24/7 playing ball out side, and i don't worry about it. I'm 17 so i guess i'm healthy enough to not get killed

13. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

You watch DBZ too?Cool. I also get bit a lot where I live, and it had flooded a couple weeks back. (I live near Victoria,TX if any of you have heard of that.) I worried about it once, but it didn't stop me. I do put spray on though.