1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UH] - Computer: Science, Engineering, or Information Systems, which major?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rock3t Man, Mar 24, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

I am transferring to UH next semester, and I have been looking online to get an idea of what type of career I would be taking on, given the 3 options.

I am sure many of you have or are currently are completing at least one of these three majors. What exactly does each one focus in? I want to get a good understanding of which of these majors is a higher demand, and are they all at the same level in terms of course work (difficulty)?

I have tried speaking to an advisor but there is really no hope with them, as they can only help me with transfers and what courses to take. So, I figured I would go to those who have experience.

Any suggestions?

2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

From my understanding:

Computer Science (my major): programming, basically. Algorithms, critical thinking, a little architecture, but mainly programming ideologies, theories and strategies.

Computer Engineering: This is sort of a blend between EE (Electrical Engineering) and CS. It's more of the low-level application of computer science onto hardware components.

Information Systems: This is a higher level, application-oriented discipline. You'd learn how to do stuff in Windows and UNIX, along with what computer parts do what and how the architecture of systems actually work. This is less programming and it at a much higher level than the other two.

3. Depressio

And for the type of job you might get with each major:

Computer Science: you'd be a software engineer (programmer). Example: working on a new version of Microsoft Office. Typically, you'll get a job at some software company you've never heard of and work on business-oriented packages (that sell for millions, but with fewer clients) or company-specific software packages (e.g., working for JP Morgan on their own custom software).

Computer Engineering: A job at a company like AMD or Intel would be a good example of what these guys do. All computer components have some semblance of a software interface, and that's what you'd work on probably.

Information Systems: You'd probably be an IT professional setting up networks and systems for your company, and providing support for those who use 'em.

Of course, there's flexibility in these career paths, but those seem like the most likely positions post-graduation. That's still a long time away for you, surely, but it's useful in knowing what to expect after graduation when picking a major.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I went to ut but there ee and ce are pretty much the same major. I could have graduated with either degree depending on what box I checked.

5. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

CIS majors mostly end up in IT. Computer Science go into programming and IT. Engineering majors can do hardware engineering, programming or IT. The engineering degree is the most versatile, but usually the most difficult.

Engineering also has the added benefit of allowing you to do patent prosecution and intellectual property work if you ever decide to go to law school.

6. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

Hey Thanks for your feedback! I really appreciate your time. If you dont mind me asking, which of these jobs is higher in demand?

And one more thing, when you say that CIS is at a higher level, I am assuming in terms of coursework. This is were I am a little confused, don't CS and CompEngin. majors receive higher income straight out of college? I honestly thought CIS was the easier of the two.

7. Prometheus

Prometheus Member

By higher level, he meant there's a higher level of abstraction from the hardware level. You have your hardware foundation, then your operating system, then your applications. The scope at which you operate is at a different level.

8. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

You can also do patent prosecution with a CS degree.

9. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Computer science - jobs in this field are and will continue to be outsourced to India.
    Computer Engineering - jobs are going to the above destination plus China.
    IT - Jobs will stay here since the CEO's CFO's and accountants still work in this country in their cooperate headquarters.

If I were you I'd choose IT even though it is the least innovative amongst the three. But hey, "ask what you can do for your country".

10. g1184

g1184 Member

Go on careerbuilder and do a quick search for each one. the job descriptions will give you an idea of what to expect, and the number of results will give you an idea of demand.

I think CS is being outsourced more than the other two.

11. Prometheus

Prometheus Member

Personally, I don't buy into all the "everything CS is being outsourced" idea. While some of this is true, there will certainly be increased job demand for computer science and computer engineering majors. I've seen this first hand while applying for internships; there's no reason for a company to pay an intern $20-$35/hr unless they're investing a lot of money into recruiting you after you graduate.

I've done IT work before, and neither does it pay as well, nor does is it as exciting as software engineering. I wouldn't worry too much about outsourcing. There will always be demand within the United States. You should choose whichever path you find the be the most interesting.

12. Depressio

My guess right now would be software engineers are in high demand. I don't see IT being in high demand as there's plenty of folks in that field floating out there, but I don't see many quality software developers and we're basically understaffed here (but not hiring due to economy).

By high level, I mean that you don't work on the guts of software/hardware. IT folks basically just use the software/hardware. Software engineers CREATE the software (thus, a lower level), and computer engineers CREATE the software the hardware uses (an even lower level). If you wanted to go REALLY low level, you'd go Electrical Engineering, the field that CREATES the hardware itself.

Think of it has a hierarchy. On the top you have the users (IT), then you have software engineers below them. computer engineers below them, and electrical engineers at the very bottom.

13. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

From my understanding, the difficulty level is the following:

Hardest: Computer engineering

Middle: Computer science

Easiest: Computer Information Systems

If you hate math, forget the first two.

14. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

EE or CE will probably give you more options into the job market. You can major in both of those and still be qualified for an IT job, whereas the MIS leads to mostly IT admin jobs and management.

Honestly, don't worry about what you'll make out of college. As many here will tell you, thats a bad way of figuring out what you want to do in life. Do you enjoy programming in your spare time, writing programs and scripts? Do you enjoy messing and disassembling computers, circuit boards, or soldering? All i'm saying is, forget the pay for now, choose one you think you would like and go for it. I fell in love with IT because i love computers and am a complete nerd about them. Please don't just do this cause you think you'll have a job after school. The money will come if you just work hard and be patient and learn what you're made to do.

15. Depressio

And for the record, you really need to figure out which field you enjoy the most. I'd suggest taking some high level courses (information systems) and some low level courses (introductory programming and some introductory electrical engineering course). Whichever you enjoy the most, go that route. You'll probably get a job with any of 'em, to be honest.

16. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

This is key. Just remember if you do CIS, you'll be doing a looot of programming, but if you like it then go for it.

17. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

not as much as cs since a lot of it is writing software.

if you do choose cs, be prepared to spend at least 5 years in college. i spent 7. :grin:

18. Depressio

Not really. CIS would have more shell scripting and writing convenience scripts, but not actual programming. Computer Science is where all the programming is.

19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

For me, the fun to money ratio is definitely in favor of picking Computer Science.

But, of course, that's probably why I picked Computer Science.

To each his own, of course.

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

CompSci = application and operating system design and programming
    CompEng = CPU / hardware / peripherals
    CIS = corporate/business applications/databases analysis, design, and develoment